Bodhi Linux 7.0

Forum Forums General Other Distros Bodhi Linux 7.0

• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Dec 13-4:12 pm by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    anti-apXos

Since there was no post about it when it released last month, I figured I’d put in a mention for Bodhi Linux 7.0.

Introducing Bodhi Linux 7.0: A Landmark Release
      Bodhi Linux 7.0 Desktop

Bodhi is based on Ubuntu and includes systemd, so it can get lost in an ocean of fairly similar distros, but actually it’s quite unique due to using the Moksha desktop. Moksha is awesome, in my opinion, and it can only be used on Bodhi as far as I know (someone correct me if I’m wrong). It’s a fork of old the Enlightenment 17 desktop.

The primary dev stepped away from Bodhi some years ago and for a while it looked like the distro might not survive, but it has kept going and is doing very nicely, I think. I remember there being talk for a while about switching to a pure Debian base, which I think would be a good idea, but I don’t know if that’s still planned. It seems like it is for the 32-bit version, at least.

Anyway, I’d say give it a try if you enjoy testing out distros. It’s pretty unique. antiX users who appreciate the lightness and configurability of antiX will probably like it as long as they don’t mind systemd to much.

kernelpanic

in my early linux-days, when I discovered enlightenment e17, I was fascinated by its looks without eating up too much ressources.
        PCLinuxOS had a very special spinoff where e17`s standard compositor was replaced by ecomorph for compiz-type effects.
        as I understand, Moksha is a spinoff of enlightenment (e17/18/19?), very elegant looks and still trying to be light on ressources.
        since antiX in my opinion is the king of functionality/lightness-balance, I would be interested in your experiences with bodhi,
        compared with antiX.
        maybe you could tell us about some specs like bootup time, ram usage, general functionality and your experience with bodhi so far?

PPC

Bodhi is a great distro. I recommend it a lot, my holy trinity of distros is: antiX, MX-Linux Fluxbox, Bodhi Linux.
          Bodhi’s desktop is great, a mix of modern and classic, that I like a lot.

P.

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

If I was to go back to using e17

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=78311

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

kernelpanic

Thanks for the link roky! I wasn´t aware of this MX-spin. Looks interesting, I will certainly take a look at it!

Vincent17

it can only be used on Bodhi as far as I know (someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Moksha is available for Artix (systemd-free Arch):
                http://https://omniverse.artixlinux.org/x86_64/moksha/README.html

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent17.
                Brian Masinick

Regarding Enlightenment, and then Bodhi, I can tell you that I’ve done some stuff experimenting
                  with Enlightenment in the past.

Here’s what I found:

1) It absolutely is a very interesting environment.
                  2) It’s been around long enough that it could be argued that
                  distributions containing Enlightenment were the first
                  “desktop environment” systems running on either UNIX or Linux systems.
                  3) Unfortunately not very many distributions took a serious look at it,
                  and moreover the project probably limited it’s appeal by having
                  version numbers like 0.16 and 0.17 for WAY too long; on one hand,
                  they were pretty “honest”, essentially saying, we wish this work was
                  “more complete than it is” and that undoubtedly kept many distributions
                  from recognizing and using Enlightenment.

Bodhi, perhaps in a similar way, is an interesting creation; it’s a bit
                  “different” from the norm – one, by reworking Enlightenment, two, by
                  exercising a LOT more creativity than the majority of systems and distributions,
                  and three, marching to their own beat.

Perhaps these common themes show why, though both of these efforts
                  have a LOT to offer, they don’t always get a lot of attention.

In a similar, but somewhat different way, we, the antiX community,
                  do not receive a great deal of attention except in very interesting
                  spaces – where people simply do not have the money to spend on new
                  systems, or where enthusiasts really see something efficient and
                  creative in antiX – the second one strikes a bit of a common chord
                  with Bodhi Linux.

These observations are mine alone, and are not necessarily “The
                  One True Gospel”, but I am speculating that they may be fairly
                  close to the reasons why Enlightenment ( the envvironment) and
                  both Bodhi and antiX, have definite appeal, but it’s in all three
                  cases confined to a few specific use cases – those who are looking
                  for something decidedly different, and for those who don’t care
                  whether what they use is on the fancy list or not, as long as it
                  is efficient and does what is needed; in that case, all three
                  of these environments meet the specific use cases for which
                  they were explicitly designed.

--
                  Brian Masinick

anti-apXos

@kernelpanic, I agree that antiX hits the sweet spot in terms of resource use and features. Since these days I prefer to just stick to one distro than have multiple OSes installed, that means I haven’t used Bodhi 7.0 very much. I did test it out to see what it was like when I was installing Linux on my CHromebook, but ended up sticking with antiX. So my experience of Bodhi was mostly versions 4 and 5, before I switched to antiX-19.

Memory use is defintiely more than antiX. I think the base usage in Bodhi 7.0 when I tried it was something like 350MB, which puts it more in the camp of things like Lubuntu and Mint MATE. No comparison to antiX, which is about half that. Moksha also always felt just a bit slow to me (let’s say “deliberate” rather than “sluggish,” eh?). I don’t know if that reflects CPU use or just design decisions. Comparing desktops/windowmanagers by CPU utilization in comparable tasks would be interesting (and probably more useful than memory utilization), but would take a lot of work I guess

In exchange for the higher resource use, what you get with Moksha is a super easily customizable desktop. I think of Moksha as like the Lego blocks of desktop environments. Everything is modular. Instead of a toolbar, you have “shelves” and you can have as many of them as you want, put them almost anywhere, and place all different things on them. Since each shelf also has its own settings, you can have some that autohide and others permanent, some under windows and others on top, etc. When you get creative, this allows for some super cool and easy customizations. Everything you put on shelves (and also many of the other Moksha functions) are implemented as “modules” so they can be easily unloaded to save memory. There’s also some interesting alternate modules available like the MacOS style iBar. Themes in Moksha also follow the modular “Lego” concept since each element can be separately themed. That means if you mostly like one theme, but prefer the window decorations from another and the systray icons from a third, it’s easily accomplished in the theme menu. Another thing I really like is how easy it is save options like placement and decorations for each particular program window just using the mouse click menu.

Though I’m happy with antiX (mostly using iceWM and sometimes herbstluftwm), these are some of the things I do miss from my Bodhi days. Most of them can be accomplished one way or another in antiX, just with more difficulty and usually by editing text files and/or installing additional programs.

If I was to go back to using e17

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=78311

Interesting. Based on this page, it seems to be using E25, not E17, though. I actually haven’t ever used Enlightenment aside from Moksha, so I don’t even really know exactly how similar E25 and E17 are (or E17 and current Moksha for that matter). I think from what I’ve read that Enlightenment has continued to be resource-intensive, though, and it’s only by using old versions (that were pretty heavy in their own day) that it could be considered “lightweight.”

I think I’ve seen @abc-nix mention that he was able to install and use E25 in antiX even, so that might really be something I’d like to try someday.

Brian Masinick

FWIW, I downloaded Bodhi 7.0 today and used it for a while from a Flash Drive, but I did not install it to my SSD on my system.
                      Instead, I experimented with a couple of my USB Flash Drives containing antiX! 🙂

Bobhi does have a pleasant appearance and I’m sure it has it’s own distinctive following!

--
                      Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Regarding Enlightenment, and then Bodhi, I can tell you that I’ve done some stuff experimenting
                        with Enlightenment in the past.

Just to mention, Enlightenment desktop does install easily on antiX and appears to work as expected in my limited testing. At least I have not encountered issues using it. In fact it seems more at home with antiX, as it seems to expect integration with Connman, which is the default in antiX.
                        Enlightenment seems rather light on memory footprint, using just about 10-20% more than antiX with IceWM. Surprisingly it seems to work on antiX very well. So if someone likes Enlightenment on antiX, it is just a click away to install.
                        For comparison, In my experience, having installed Enlightenment on MX (Fluxbox) it seems also works fine with MX. So I do not understand why it takes such a long time to come out with that Enlightenment spin of MX. Possibly integration with many MX components…

Along with my positive experience installing and using antiX or MX with Enlightenment desktop, I should also mention that it is fun to use and is quite sophisticated. Nevertheless it seems surprisingly solid in my experience on antiX 23. I have not experienced crashes or malfunctioning and half cooked stuff, which I thought I would encounter considering such myriad of fancy things you can do with it.
                        I have not tested Enlightenment desktop on MX as extensively as on antiX.

In general I like simplicity, no fancy show of desktop, nevertheless considering relatively small memory footprint of antiX with Enlightenment it is possible I might include this desktop as well…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

anti-apXos

That’s cool. Thanks for the info about Enlightenment in antiX, olsztyn. Now I’m looking forward to giving it a try when I get a chance. In pictures, it does look quite similar to Moksha, so maybe they’re not that diverged.

Were you able to switch “on the fly” to Enlightenment from another environment like iceWM or Fluxbox using antiX’s desktop-session script? In general, does that script work with other installed WM/DEs or only the ones that come pre-installed in antiX?

marcelocripe

Please read the text in bold:

ylee (Dev) wrote:

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:36am thewaiter likes this

Just to let all know I have zero interest in renaming ARandR. A standard install of BL 5.1 comes with only 10 apps or so in the menu. It is not unreasonable to expect users to figure out what these apps do on their own if they don’t know. Most are obvious. Bodhi has never claimed to be a Distro for Linux beginners and to clear up any misunderstanding it is not a distro for Linux beginners. ARandR is an app that should be well known to any Linux user with experience as is synaptic. Besides ARandR is its name, it is not my program and it is not for me to rename it. I already modify it to make it more Bodhi friendly but that is as far as I am going with modifying it.

Only the code knows the truth.

Donate

olsztyn

Were you able to switch “on the fly” to Enlightenment from another environment like iceWM or Fluxbox using antiX’s desktop-session script? In general, does that script work with other installed WM/DEs or only the ones that come pre-installed in antiX?

On antiX I am using primarily Openbox with LXpanel, although I still have IceWM installed for reference testing, because Openbox with LXpanel give me nice integration and rock solid desktop. After installation of Enlightenment I switch from one to the other by logging off to Slimski login screen and selecting either one using PF1. It switches these desktops nicely and without issues. Previously, when switching from IceWM to Openbox/LXpanel I was using ‘Other Desktops’ function on IceWM, since it preserved running windows, but in the course of time I decided that logging off might be a ‘clean’ switch, since I did not switch on the fly often. Once in one desktop I typically stay in that desktop for a while.
                              So to answer your question as you stated, I have not tested ‘on the fly’ switch between IceWM and Enlightenment using ‘Other Desktops’, but I see no reason why it would not work.
                              Having primarily used my preferred desktop Openbox/LXpanel, where things are nicely integrated, after installing Enlightenment I faced a lot of set-up to be done to my liking, as it is a usual thing when installing a new desktop, as the default look and feel and functional configuration needed to be adjusted.
                              Playing more and more with Enlightenment, it seems to be developing my respect in terms of sophistication, such as ‘shelves’ with iBars, myriad of configuration options and desktop composition. It seems rock solid on antiX. Not a trace of any malfunction so far.
                              Although Openbox/LXpanel continues to be my primary in rock solid integrated functionality desktop for antiX, it looks like Enlightenment is gradually growing to be my second desktop unless some unexpected issues pop up… Just need to change theme and configure to my liking…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

anti-apXos

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Enlightenment would provide a nice alternative to keep on hand. I like to switch from icewm to herbstluft for certain things and those two plus Enlightenment would give a good range if options.

Openbox+LXPanel is (or used to be) the default setup in SLiTAZ I think. I always liked SLiTAZ, but haven’t used it in a long time.

PPC

Bodhi has never claimed to be a Distro for Linux beginners and to clear up any misunderstanding it is not a distro for Linux beginners.

The way I see it, there are no Operating Systems for “beginners” – we all have to adapt when we start using something new. Most “non technical users ” that are experimenting with Linux just expect it to be just like Windows, but really free, and without publicity, without tracking, without not letting users install/remove anything they want.
                                  There are harder Linux distros, like the ones that require users to install everything from the terminal (even the system it self), like Arch, or GUI driven OSes, like Debian (with a D.E.), Ubuntu (or any of it’s countless official variants), Mint, MX and even antiX and Bodhi.
                                  They are all “user friendly” – in the sense that they do not require the use of the terminal, or manually editing config files, in order to be able to use the system. “Distros for beginners” don’t really exist, in my opinion. A beginner can have the mindset of “ok, lets see what this does…” and experiment everything… or have the “Oh, no, I don’t understand anything, were is Control Panel, so I can change the screen resolution? This damn thing just says “Control Centre”, how the hell can I change the screen resolution without a Control Panel”?
                                  No one really explains to Windows users what Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Edge, Chrome, Cortana (now dead, I think), Copilot (taking Cortana’s place), Control Panel, etc, are. People know what they are because they use it. Just like Linux, people will know that aRandR does, by testing what that menu entry does, by starting it from Control Centre, or, ideally by reading it’s description on “app-select”. I do try to create scripts with descriptive names (Updated, Finder, Debinstaller, etc), but I agree that programmers are free to name their creations anything they want, even strange names, like “cherrytree”, “herbslunft”… “antiX” 🙂

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.