Bodhi Linux 7.0

Forum Forums General Other Distros Bodhi Linux 7.0

• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Dec 13-4:12 pm by PPC.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

“Ease of use” and “consistency” are similar in their intent, to further elaborate on the previous @PPC comments.
      Nearly everything, from crawling, to walking, talking, reading, writing, interacting with people are all learned
      behaviors.

The English language is particularly difficult to master because the words that have evolved in it actually come
      a wide variety of different languages; for instance, some words come from French, some from Italian, etc.

In software, various usage also comes from a variety of places. When we have a graphical user interface (GUI)
      there is the possibility to “normalize” some of these widely different things, but often what ends up
      happening is that something ELSE changes, so it’s extremely difficult when software comes from so many
      places and situations to maintain any significant degree of consistency.

We’ve done reasonably well with antiX, but there are still differences in the details,
      depending on which tools, utilities and applications are selected.

--
      Brian Masinick

Tee

Bodhi is a great distro. I recommend it a lot, my holy trinity of distros is: antiX, MX-Linux Fluxbox, Bodhi Linux.
        Bodhi’s desktop is great, a mix of modern and classic, that I like a lot.

P.

I agree 100% due to the post I downloaded and gave it a try in the live environment enjoyed it a lot…Tee

marcelocripe

I do try to create scripts with descriptive names (Updated, Finder, Debinstaller, etc), but I agree that programmers are free to name their creations anything they want, even strange names, like “cherrytree”, “herbslunft”… “antiX” 🙂

and

Nearly everything, from crawling, to walking, talking, reading, writing, interacting with people are all learned
          behaviors.

The English language is particularly difficult to master because the words that have evolved in it actually come
          a wide variety of different languages; for instance, some words come from French, some from Italian, etc.

Here are some comments about what developer ylee wrote and the context in which I want to refer.
          On the Bodhi Linux forum, a beginner user of GNU/Linux will not have help from experienced users, just as it happened to me when I was looking for a GNU/Linux distribution and community.
          I write that it happened to me, because it actually happened, just search for the forum URL along with “marcelocripe” and anyone will be able to read the part that the user “01101111” wrote that “i will be taking my leave of this forum because i have similar feelings about support and was recently reminded (much to my disappointment) that bodhi is not for beginners:”, he deleted his account and abandoned Bodhi Linux. It’s a shame there wasn’t time for me to tell him that I had been well received in the antiX community and that the operating system (antiX 19.2) seemed to be easier to use than Bodhi Linux.
          I have already written and will write again, the GNU/Linux community that does not grow, sooner or later dies, because none of us will live forever.

As for the program names, I managed to overcome this communication failure that exists in the “.desktop” file models in the “pt_BR” language, where only the program name is displayed in the menu. Whoever designed the “rules” for “.desktop” file entries was probably not a good communicator. At least in the pt_BR language of antiX 23, Brazilians can have these models:

Name[pt_BR]=Organizador de Notas CherryTree
          Name[pt_BR]=Pesquisar Arquivos e Pastas com o SearchMonkey
          Name[pt_BR]=Reprodutor de Rádio do Poor Man
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Misturador de Áudio
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Equalizador de Áudio
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos zzzFM
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos ROX-Filer
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos Midnight Commander

Equivalent text in English:
          Name[pt_BR]=CherryTree Note Organizer
          Name[pt_BR]=Search Files and Folders with SearchMonkey
          Name[pt_BR]=Poor Man’s Radio Player
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Audio Mixer
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Audio Equalizer
          Name[pt_BR]=zzzFM File Manager
          Name[pt_BR]=ROX-Filer File Manager
          Name[pt_BR]=Midnight Commander File Manager

With this method of communication, antiX 23 became much easier to understand by Brazilians, making antiX 23 the friendliest edition of all, not only because of the translations, but because of the various graphical interfaces that were added to antiX of full ISO. Clicking on translated buttons, in windows with translated texts, is much easier than doing this with everything written in English.

– – – – –

I do try to create scripts with descriptive names (Updated, Finder, Debinstaller, etc), but I agree that programmers are free to name their creations anything they want, even strange names, like “cherrytree”, “herbslunft”… “antiX” 🙂

e

behaviors.

Cabe aqui alguns comentários sobre o que desenvolvedor ylee escreveu e o contexto no qual eu quero me referir.
          No fórum do Bodhi Linux um usuário iniciante no GNU/Linux não terá ajuda dos usuários experientes, assim como aconteceu comigo na época que eu procurava uma distribuição e uma comunidade GNU/Linux.
          Eu escrevo que aconteceu comigo, porque de fato aconteceu, basta procurar o URL do fórum junto com “marcelocripe” que qualquer pessoa irá poder ler a parte que o usuário “01101111” escreveu que “i will be taking my leave of this forum because i have similar feelings about support and was recently reminded (much to my disappointment) that bodhi is not for beginners:”, ele excluiu a sua conta e abandonou o Bodhi Linux. É uma pena que não deu tempo para eu dizer para ele que eu havia sido bem-recebido na comunidade do antiX e que o sistema operacional (antiX 19.2) parecia ser mais fácil de utilizar do que o Bodhi Linux.
          Eu já escrevi e escrevo novamente, a comunidade GNU/Linux que não cresce, cedo ou tarde morre, porque nenhum de nós viveremos eternamente.

Quanto aos nomes dos programas, eu consegui contornar esta falha na comunicação que existe nos modelos dos arquivos “.desktop” no idioma “pt_BR”, onde apenas o nome do programa é exibido no menu. Quem projetou as “regras” das entradas dos arquivos “.desktop” provavelmente não era um bom comunicador. Ao menos no idioma pt_BR do antiX 23 os Brasileiros podem ter estes modelos:

Name[pt_BR]=Organizador de Notas CherryTree
          Name[pt_BR]=Pesquisar Arquivos e Pastas com o SearchMonkey
          Name[pt_BR]=Reprodutor de Rádio do Poor Man
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Misturador de Áudio
          Name[pt_BR]=AlsaMixer – Equalizador de Áudio
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos zzzFM
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos ROX-Filer
          Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador de Arquivos Midnight Commander

Com este método de comunicação, o antiX 23 se tornou muito mais fácil de ser compreendido pelos Brasileiros, tornando o antiX 23 a edição mais amigável de todas, não só por causa das traduções, mas por causa das diversas interfaces gráficas que foram adicionadas ao antiX da ISO full. Clicar em botões traduzidos, em janelas com textos traduzidos, é muito mais fácil do que fazer isso com tudo escrito em idioma Inglês.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by marcelocripe.
          olsztyn

Once we are at this:
            In terms of vocabulary English vocabulary contains only 35% of the original Germanic origin but 55% of vocabulary is of Romanic origin, mostly from France in 15 and 16th century vocabulary importation.
            However English is rather very easy to learn for foreigners due to the fact that there is no declension or conjugation in grammatical constructs. That is why the entire world can learn English but for a natively English speaker to learn Polish or Greek, as an example, is rather quite difficult…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

marcelocripe

However English is rather very easy to learn for foreigners due to the fact that there is no declension or congugation in grammatical constructs. That is why the entire world can learn English but for a natively English speaker to learn Polish or Greek, as an example, is rather quite difficult…

Do you really think it wasn’t difficult for native speakers of Polish or Greek to learn the rules and nuances of the language?
              Or even, languages that do not have the Latin alphabet (or Roman alphabet).
              Each language has its own characteristics and it makes no sense to require people to learn the English language in order to use a computer.
              Look at the Chinese, Russian, Greek or other language that is not derived from the Latin alphabet to try to identify a word in the sentence that is not in the English language.
              The English language cannot be required for people to be able to use a computer, so there are translations with the necessary adaptations to make complete sense to people who speak the respective language.
              Brazilian dubbing companies for films, soap operas, series, cartoons, etc. They have great experience and are taking all this knowledge to the USA for dubbing into the English language.
              I usually make this parallel between operating systems/computer programs and dubbing, because the end user or viewer needs to make the most of the operating system/programs or the film and it has to be in their language.

– – – – –

However English is rather very easy to learn for foreigners due to the fact that there is no declension or congugation in grammatical constructs. That is why the entire world can learn English but for a natively English speaker to learn Polish or Greek, as an example, is rather quite difficult…

Você acha mesmo que não foi difícil para o nativo do idioma Polonês ou Grego aprender as regras e as nuances do idioma?
              Ou ainda, os idiomas que não possuem o alfabeto latino (ou alfabeto romano).
              Cada idioma possui as suas próprias características e não faz sentido algum exigir que as pessoas aprendam o idioma Inglês para poderem utilizar um computador.
              Olhe para o idioma Chinês, Russo, Grego ou outro que não seja derivado do alfabeto latino para você tentar identificar uma palavra na frase que não seja em idioma Inglês.
              O idioma Inglês não pode ser exigido as pessoas poderem utilizar um computador, para isso existem as traduções com as adaptações necessárias para fazerem sentido completo para as pessoas do respectivo idioma.
              As empresas de dublagem Brasileira de filmes, novelas, séries, desenhos, etc. possuem grande experiência e estão levando todo este conhecimento para os EUA para a dublagem para o idioma Inglês.
              Eu costumo fazer este paralelo entre os sistemas operacionais/programas de computadores e a dublagem, porque o usuário final ou o espectador precisa usufruir ao máximo do sistema operacional/programas ou do filme e tem que ser em seu idioma.

PPC

Off topic, but related to this:

Do you really think it wasn’t difficult for native speakers of Polish or Greek to learn the rules and nuances of the language?
                Or even, languages that do not have the Latin alphabet (or Roman alphabet).
                Each language has its own characteristics and it makes no sense to require people to learn the English language in order to use a computer.

Since you ask: Yes, English is extremely easy to learn because it has a very simple grammar and the common words are simple, specially when compared to our native language, Portuguese.
                I bet that most people that use non latin alphabet can read latin alphabet, since it’s simpler, and most signs (close to large cities, etc), anywhere in the world that uses different alphabets are in latin alphabet too (and usually also in English).
                No one said that learning English was required to use a computer… But understanding the “lingua franca” that is used in the part of the world you live in, in the time you live in, always made life easier. Long ago, in Europe, it was Latin… In the XV century or so, in many parts of the world, it was Spanish or Portuguese… when my father was growing up, it was French, now (and for the foreseeable future) its English – technical books, in the West, are mostly in English, International trade is done in English, International Flight voice communications are done in English… etc… etc…
                Complaining that most of the world runs in English solves nothing. It’s a fact, it’s like complaining the rain is wet. You either deal with it, or complaining gets you nowhere…

EDIT: I think you are also assuming that @olsztyn is a native English speaker, that may not be the case. I speak fluent English and I’ve never been in a country where the official language is English. In Portugal, a considerable percentage of people with less than, say 40 years of age, do know, at least, some very basic English. My daughter is learning English in the primary school. She understands and can even speak many English sentences.

P.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
              Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.