boot hangs after keyboard or swap display

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” boot hangs after keyboard or swap display

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by roland Jan 22-5:10 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    roland
    roland

This has annoyed me since I began with Luddite a few years back.

The boot hangs after the display ‘setting default keymap’ and occasionally after ‘activating swap’
    which comes next in sequence. This is an occasional hang, at times more than occasional.

There is always a getout, switching off and repeating switchon and boot sometimes works.
    Sometimes pressing ‘enter’ instead of awaiting the default menu line selection works.
    Sometimes selecting the special options line and selecting one of the next menu lines works.
    But at times it’s a pest to get past.

It occurs on Luddite and Berta Caceres, all sub releases, and on 32 and 64 bit issues.

PS I have to use english UK language with spanish ES keyboards, but have observed the problem with
    english UK language with english UK keyboard.

Any suggestions for a workaround or fix will be gratefully received.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Might help you to help yourself. Or not.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I forgot to mention. bootchartd sits in /sbin in my AntiX 15 install.

harry@biker:~
    $ which bootchartd
    $ locate bootchartd
    /etc/bootchartd.conf
    /sbin/bootchartd

https://debian-administration.org/article/211/Analyzing_boot_performance_with_bootchart

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

roland
    roland

Thanks for that tip, I shall try it.

caprea
    caprea

Could you post some information about the hardware ? Is this a laptop or desktop ? Output of

inxi -zv8

from terminal

BTW did you already try a live-stick/cd of antix17.2, , if it happens there too ?

roland
    roland

In this case its a laptop 32b acer very old and small running 16.3 and as up to date as I can get it with the fragile wlan available where I am just now.

It had XP on which I shrunk using GParted to make space for an extended partition with AntiX on logical partitions. I always do it this way – maybe I shouldn’t? I am just an old amateur, a mainframe man really.

But the hangs also occur on proper PCs I have at home in Almeria mainly on 32 bit cpu’s but not exclusively. Sometimes there are exception messages and no hang, sometimes followed by a hang, sometimes hangs without ban exception.

Thanks in advance for any help. The output from the recommended analysis script looks ok to my untrained eye.

roland
    roland

requested output from inxi -zv8

roland
    roland

usual output from inxi -zv8 unacceptable even with change of owner, so here’s output from inxi -zv8 in pdf form, maybe that will go ?

caprea
    caprea

There are two things I would suggest you try.
    First is to try another kernel, you are anyway still using an old 4.4.10 kernel
    You can do this with the package-installer from the control-centre. You are using stretch-repos so the debian 4.9 fallback kernel would be a good choice for the acer travelmate laptop, I think.
    Second suggestion is to try antix17.2 with live-stick,if it is possible to download with the fragile wlan available where you are just now.

roland
    roland

That Debian Kernel is not listed in the package installer page, they are versions 3.16. There is no 4.9 listed, so I chose the latest which is the one I already have, thinking it may have had a minor change not reflected in the version number. Installed ok and the first cold boot did not hang. Back home I’ll try antix17.2 if I can download it. But I’ve had this with 13.1, 13.2, 16.0, 16.1 and 16.2 so I feel it’s not kernel related. My PCs are all old slow cast-off as I’m just an aged pensioner these days not prepared to spend E1500 on something up to date. I always follow the installation screens to the letter using GParted. If I find Windows on I shrink it to a minimum serviceable partition and create an extended partition with the Linux swap and 2 ext4 logical parttitions inside. No reason, just seems tidy. I have a feeling it’s something caused by my own setups.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hi Roland,

From your screen shot it sounds like a disk problem since it only
    happens on activating the swap partition.
    “the ata1/dma read error” is gsmartcontrol installable on version 16.
    Or you could try it on version 17.2. I’ve had that happen on my dell
    before the hdd quit totally from read errors. Also I think Gparted
    lets you check a drive if not mounted.

Linux = Many kinds, shapes, and sizes of computers to come
    together to create the ultimate cure for curiosity, boredom,
    creativity, and asylum. 🙂
    Whether new, used, young, or ancient.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Just looked and gparted does if you right click on the partition
    and select check from the live cd. Also looking at your laptop_specs.pdf file
    it’s showing your battery almost at end of life (5%).

Linux = Many kinds, shapes, and sizes of computers to come
    together to create the ultimate cure for curiosity, boredom,
    creativity, and asylum. 🙂
    Whether new, used, young, or ancient.

roland
    roland

I think the hard disk problem suggested by linuxdaddy looks favourite, and the battery is also done for and I run it plugged in continually. The install warns me that HD life may be short by looking at the SMART data. I lost patience with trying this’n that so installed HeatherHeyer 17 and updated it fully, and surprise surprise I still have the same trouble, often hangs around ‘waiting for /dev to be fully populated’ or a line or two up or down from that. But while I’m stuck in this Madrid hospital there’s a limit to what I can do. I’ve had these hangs since I started with Luddite 13.1 years back, always on the old junk I scrounge, and there’s been a few HD fails on these always elderly or scrap PCs, so bad equipment has to be favourite diagnosis. Thanks for all contributions, gratefully received. I think I’m being warned to spend some money on IT!

skidoo

things to try, based on a quick websearch “‘waiting for /dev to be fully populated”:

— attach the USB keyboard to a different port

— try using nomodeset boot line cheatcode

If you’re able to boot without the USB keyboard attached:

— edit /etc/udev/udev.conf and change from:
    udev_log=”info”
    to
    udev_log=”err”

— install debian package “havegd” if that is not already installed

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

skidoo typo – it should be haveged

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.