Boot hangs on post code 6A

Forum Forums General Hardware Boot hangs on post code 6A

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated Jun 8-2:22 pm by roland.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    roland

This pc has an X79 mainboard with dual 2689 cpu, 16gb ram, 4 HD, boot partition on an SSD, 3 more rotating HD, running release 22, right up to date. The last thing I did while the pc was running was update the grub files after deleting a partition on another HD with release 19.3 installed. The following switch-on produced the following graphics card fail.

It had been running faultlessly for 2 years until the Nvidia graphics card failed. Symptoms were the graphics card boot messages failed to appear but the mainboard appeared to boot normally, judging by the running fans and changing post codes on the mainboard led display.

I bought a new graphics card but not with an Nvidia chipset to the best of my knowledge, and installed it.

Both graphics card and pc now fail to boot and the monitor screen is blank apart from the ‘monitor is working’ splash message repeated frequently. The mainboard post code display shows 6A which Tom’s hardware has the following description for :-

DXE is the driver execution environment where most of the system initialization happens, and the 6A code is related to that so the system is PROBABLY hanging on a driver when it tries to load. That could be because that component has a problem, or because the driver for that component has a problem or because the operating system is having a problem WITH that driver or component.

I went through the suggested fix in Tom’s Hardware which is as follows :_

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

This fix did not work, the boot still fails as described finishing up with post code 6A.

Any suggestions will be most welcome, and thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by roland.
      roland

I fixed this problem by replacing the 32gb DDR3 ram (4 units of 8gb) by fresh memory. On reflection I could have replaced it piece by piece until a successful boot was achieved, thus isolating the actual faulty memory 8gb piece. I have ordered a DDR3 memory tester for future use. All this memory is ex-server, perhaps not even tested before resale but is cheap enough and compatible with these Chinese Intel X79 mainboards.

It seems the boot progresses normally until the bios looks at the memory, finds some problem, and stalls. The usual post code left behind is 6A but I have also seen 69 and 67 while persevering with the problem. So these are not error codes simply current status codes.

I was also plagued with a long series of error and fail messages at times, during the post process, 4 or 5 message groups repeated for a long series of ata addresses. However the post would eventually complete and the boot would succeed, after anything up to 10 minutes. These messages have now ceased, and I presume were also related to a failing piece of memory which finally failed solid holding up the post process.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.