Booting antiX Frugal-only From HDD Without Any Full-Installed OS – with Extlinux

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Booting antiX Frugal-only From HDD Without Any Full-Installed OS – with Extlinux

• This topic has 55 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Aug 27-2:18 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    anilkagi

@Christophe, many thanks for this great setup. This also gives a lot of information regarding bootloading, syslinux, extlinux and grub. extlinux is really nice. You have done a great helpful job by giving this step by step guide for newbies. Thanks & Regards.

christophe

You are very welcome. 😉

I’m just thankful for antiX and the antiX developers for making such a flexible OS.

With the tools to perform many kinds of “antics.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

seaken64

It’s called “stylisation” (or alternate spelling “stylization”).

antiX is always spelled with the capital X and all other letters in the name are lower case. It is appropriate to start a sentence with the lower case “a” since this is the stylized name of the product.

antiX is always antiX, not AntiX, Antix, or ANTIX, or antix.

In the same way that IBM is always all uppercase letters.

It is a technique used in branding.

It is often confusing and you will see antiX typed many different ways. But antiX is correct and it is often typed that way in scripts and config files. But if a label is typed as “antix” then the corresponding command or reference must match that spelling. Same for the “antiX” spelling, or any other spelling of a label.

Seaken64

seaken64

I’m just thankful for antiX and the antiX developers for making such a flexible OS.

With the tools to perform many kinds of “antics.”

Agreed. Thank you antiX developers! And thank you christophe for sharing this great tip!

Seaken64

olsztyn

Nice – I’ll make it a ‘sticky’ – thanks.

Such sticky would be really nice to have.
              @Christophe: If I am not mistaken this would work not just for Frugals but rather for any Linux install, I think. Would this be correct?
              Thanks again and Regards…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

christophe

olsztyn wrote:

If I am not mistaken this would work not just for Frugals but rather for any Linux install, I think. Would this be correct?

If you mean using syslinux/extlinux to boot any linux “regular” install, then yes, I’m sure it can.

I looked into how to use syslinux to boot everything a little while back. What I wanted to do was to boot the one UEFI computer I have like this (frugal-only). I couldn’t figure a way to do it, unfortunately. What I did learn was that, for regular installs (since that was the only info I could find on the subject), it was more hassle than I wanted, to set up, manage, and update the bootloader manually, by myself.

So, as much as I dislike grub (grub2), it’s not worth the hassle manually setting up & maintaining on regular installs. For that, I’d just go with whatever antiX uses (just my opinion). Frugal, on the other hand, needs no maintenance, other than your normal remastering & updating the live kernel from the built-in antiX programs.

christophe

Regarding:

Such sticky would be really nice to have.

It is still “sticky” — under “tips & tricks” 🙂

olsztyn

It is still “sticky” — under “tips & tricks” ????

Thank you Christophe! I missed it apparently…

I want to stress that syslinux/Extlinux way is simple and really good. Thanks for posting this process.
                    Just to mention: I use slightly different process using syslinux instead of Extlinux but it seems to arrive at the same result.
                    Namely, having booted antiX Live:
                    – Copied /boot/syslinux folder from antiX Live to sda1. For simplicity I actually copied the entire /boot folder, including Grub.
                    – Copied antiX folder from antiX Live to sda1.
                    – Edited syslinux.cfg file for appropriate boot labels and their syntax. So I am using syslinux.cfg instead of extlinux.conf.

Result seems to work the same as Extlinux process you published and I am not clear yet if there is any difference. I have read somewhere that syslinux and Extlinux have merged into one at some point but I have not spent lots of time on confirming this.
                    Can someone in this forum please shed some light on this?
                    Thanks again and regards.

christophe

@ olsztyn, you wrote:

Namely, having booted antiX Live:
                      – Copied /boot/syslinux folder from antiX Live to sda1. For simplicity I actually copied the entire /boot folder, including Grub.
                      – Copied antiX folder from antiX Live to sda1.
                      – Edited syslinux.cfg file for appropriate boot labels and their syntax. So I am using syslinux.cfg instead of extlinux.conf.

Result seems to work the same

That sounds quite simple & effective. How does your system boot? What’s on the MBR?

olsztyn

That sounds quite simple & effective. How does your system boot? What’s on the MBR?

MBR needs to be loaded with Extlinux, just as in your process, those 440 bytes.

I just found the answer to my question why syslinux and extlinux both do seem to work the same…
                        From wiki.syslinux.org searching for syslinux.cfg extlinux.conf, among others seems to confirm they merged:
                        Quote:
                        ” Since v.4.02, syslinux.cfg and [/boot]/syslinux/ are generic terms and also valid for EXTLINUX. extlinux.conf and [/boot]/extlinux/ take precedence for EXTLINUX if they are present.”
                        So this explains they work the same…
                        Thanks again and regards…

olsztyn

So, as much as I dislike grub (grub2), it’s not worth the hassle manually setting up & maintaining on regular installs. For that, I’d just go with whatever antiX uses (just my opinion). Frugal, on the other hand, needs no maintenance, other than your normal remastering & updating the live kernel from the built-in antiX programs.

I agree. Particularly that to circumvent Grub2 mess antiX includes the capability to dynamically discover Grub bootloaders and display more informative boot menu than Grub installed on HD…

seaken64

It would be nice to have that discovery feature in the installed grub menu. If it was in the Advanced sub-menu that would be fine. Is this only available on the Live system? I think you mentioned it before but I missed if you said it is not available on the hard disk. I will go back and re-read.

Seaken64

olsztyn

It would be nice to have that discovery feature in the installed grub menu. If it was in the Advanced sub-menu that would be fine. Is this only available on the Live system? I think you mentioned it before but I missed if you said it is not available on the hard disk. I will go back and re-read.

This was reported by BobC in the other (Grub) thread:
                              Quote:

Yes, I found the labels there as you said. Too bad they don’t also appear on the Grub menu after install.

It is an extremely useful feature and if it is currently only in antiX live this discovery part of Grub from antiX Live can be also copied to the installed antiX Grub, if needed. I think this would resolve the deficiency of current installed Grub2 – the requirement posted by BobC that Grub menu should be more informative, such as displaying partitions and their lablels…

seaken64

This was reported by BobC in the other (Grub) thread:
                                Quote:

Yes, I found the labels there as you said. Too bad they don’t also appear on the Grub menu after install.

It is an extremely useful feature and if it is currently only in antiX live this discovery part of Grub from antiX Live can be also copied to the installed antiX Grub, if needed. I think this would resolve the deficiency of current installed Grub2 – the requirement posted by BobC that Grub menu should be more informative, such as displaying partitions and their lablels…

Ahh, okay. Thanks. I’ll go back to that other thread and re-read.

Seaken64

anilkagi

The stylisation, has been carried into the programming also. Rightly so, because a name is a name. If the OS has been named as ‘antiX’ with a capital X, then it has to be referred to as such. Thanks @Seaken64, for the analysis.

@Olsztyn, since I first noticed this thread of @Christophe, I had read a bit about extlinux, syslinux and isolinux on the web and was wondering if this method could be repeated with the same results using syslinux too, but didn’t have the knowledge and time to check that. Thanks for sharing your experiment with syslinux.

I had gathered this following info then. Just quoting it here for reference by other interested newbies who come here like I did.

The SYSLINUX Project is a suite of lightweight master boot record (MBR) boot loaders for starting up IBM PC compatible computers with the Linux kernel. EXTLINUX is a new syslinux derivative. EXTLINUX is typically used as a general-purpose bootloader, similar to LILO or GRUB. Since Syslinux 4, EXTLINUX has been merged with SYSLINUX. SYSLINUX is not normally used for booting full Linux installations since Linux is not normally installed on FAT filesystems. Instead, it is often used for boot or rescue floppy disks, live USBs, or other lightweight boot systems. ISOLINUX is generally used by Linux live CDs and bootable install CDs.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.