Booting freezes at the line ‘Attached SCSI disk’

Forum Forums General Software Booting freezes at the line ‘Attached SCSI disk’

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Apr 16-2:38 pm by mikey777.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

Using kernel 4.4, boot-up on my laptop runs rapidly & smoothly. However, with a more recent release of kernel 5.10, booting sometimes freezes at the following line:

[ 2.421772] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

What’s going on here – is it a hardware issue?

Could it be that my 16-year-old laptop’s hardware is fully recognized with the older kernel (4.4.0-296-antix1), but not with the newer one (5.10.210-gnu1)? Releases of 5.10-gnu1, earlier than 210, don’t appear to cause the ‘freeze’ at booting.

The only attached drives (both internal ones), during boot-up, are two Samsung SSD drives.
      The only way to escape the frozen-screen appears to be pressing the laptop’s on/off switch for a few seconds, but isn’t there a risk of corrupting antiX-21 when I do this ‘emergency shut-off’?

In case you’re wondering, I use the gnu1 versions of 5.10 instead of the antix1 ones, as the latter hasn’t allowed booting for most of the 5.10 series, on the Asus X71Q (further details of this laptop’s hardware is in ‘signature’ below)

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

What does

locate scsi

show.

Here is mine from full install 64 bit sysvinit 23.1. For comparison to base.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.
        Attachments:

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

mikey777

Thanks rokytnji, appreciate that.
          I’ve attached a libreoffice file, containing the terminal output for locate_scsi on my laptop.
          I had a look at the contents of your output, but I’m unsure what I’m comparing and what it means.
          I’ve understood generally that scsi has something to do with hardware connections – is that correct?

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
          - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
          - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

Robin

I’ve understood generally that scsi has something to do with hardware connections – is that correct?

Yes.

There are some console tools to deal with these type of connections:

scsitools
            sg3-utils

There is a tool named scsi-rescan in the antiX control centre, which makes use of some of them.
            And if I recollect correctly, the two packages mentioned above provide additionally some diagnostics tools for scsi. Check out their content and the new commands they add to your system when installing them.

Please note, internally linux manages all mass storage devices as scsi connected for some reason, regardless whether they are actually connected differently.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Stéphane Ascoët

SCSI isn’t only connectors, but an specific architecture and set of commands

mikey777

The above problem still recurs, but the difference now is that I’ve discovered it’s unnecessary to do an emergency shutdown when it happens.
                To get past the issue, I just need to press the Enter-key a few times, when the booting script sticks at the line shown in the first post on this thread.
                That seems to help the boot-up process pass through the other lines of script until it finally reaches the display with wallpaper and desktop icons.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by mikey777.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.