Brother MFC, Print Without Brother drivers install

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Brother MFC, Print Without Brother drivers install

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Sep 10-5:55 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

Very useful info, I have at times had some issues with no printing output on antiX installs, below well wort trying.

From http://masterofpc.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/brother-mfc-7420-under-linux-without-the-proprietary-brother-drivers/

Brother MFC-7420 under Linux without the proprietary Brother drivers, works with other models too, the scanning will
      also work with sane X sane.

So, today I found out a very interesting thing…I wondered for a long time if I could connect my printer (MFC-7420) to a non-x86 Linux machine (SPARC!) to have a print server. Well I failed…I failed again, but here’s how I eventually succeded:
      Let’s take a look at what the filterMFC7420 CUPS wrapper (from the official Brother-Linux-Package for the MFC7420) does when it gets a file to print:
      When you pass a ps file through the /usr/local/Brother/lpd/psconvert2 and then through rawtobr2 out comes a data file of an unknown type. But if you look at it with a hex editor, you see the following:
      %-12345X@PJL
      @PJL JOB NAME=”Brother HL-XXX”
      @PJL SET RAS1200MODE = OFF
      @PJL SET RESOLUTION = 600
      @PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
      @PJL SET SOURCETRAY = TRAY1
      @PJL SET MEDIATYPE = REGULAR
      @PJL SET ORIENTATION = PORTRAIT
      @PJL SET PAPER = LETTER
      @PJL SET PAGEPROTECT = AUTO
      @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL
      E&u600D*t600R*b1030m5021w
      This is crazy! The rawtobr2 binary just somehow translates the postscript file to some GDI/PJL-language-file! And it seems that they used the same language as for the HL-XXXX series of printers….this means, we could have full linux support without the proprietary Brother drivers. Which then means….my printer could run on my SPARC machines ????
      Later, I proved this is really true:
      Take one MFC-7420. Connect it through USB to a computer running Linux. Start the CUPS service. With a browser, go to http://localhost:631 – Administration tab. And click on Find new printers. Follow the instructions and then as printer driver select “Brother HL-5050 Foomatic/hl1250” (the foomatic package needs to be installed!!) then finish. Set the printer options and print a test page ????

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
      oops

Thanks, interesting to know.

wildstar84

Thanks for the info. I’ve got an ancient Brother MFC-9600 laser and discovered years ago that the HL1250 driver works great with it (full 600dpi). Even contributed my “discovery” to the old linuxprinting.org site.

Question: You said that it worked w/Sane (scanning) too – how did you set that up? (I’ve never been able to use the scanner with Linux/Sane)!

Xunzi_23

Hi wildstar,
            unfortunately the MFC-9600 is listed as one of the unsupported devices in the sane project data bank.

The device is really ancient but looks to be one of few truly multi functional machines to
            have survived from the darkness or dump. Nice.

Maybe the scanner could be used with wine and brother software, Brother USA is usually pretty
            helpful and might be able to assist with older scanner software, that would increase the
            likelihood of it running in emulation.

The printer is way easier as a PCL printer control language device several drivers are now available.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.