Browsers for old CPUs

Forum Forums General Software Browsers for old CPUs

• This topic has 180 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated Jul 1-12:28 pm by Lu.C..
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Fenyo

Hello,

I’ve some good news, latest (2.53.15b1) Seamonkey and the 91.13 version of the ESR Firefox (webrtc contains most of the sse2 code, which I was lazy to weed out, so i just disabled it, it’s unlikely that someone would want to use the browser to do video conferencing on such an old machine anyway) now complied successfully under pure Debian 9 (only gcc-7 needed) without sse2 requirement, and now it seems stable on the formerly mentioned sites (xfce-look.org, mega.nz ect) too, so now we have 4 different relatively up-to-date browsers to choose from if we only have a sse-capable computer (Pentium3 or Athlon Xp class machines), namely;
      NewMoon SSE 31.4.2 complied from Palemoon 31.4.2 source code
      SSErpent 20230113 complied from Basilisk 20230108 source code
      Seamonkey SSE 2.53.15b1 complied from the latest Seamonkey source code
      Firefox SSE 91.13 ESR complied from Firefox ESR 91.13 source code (for better performance, enable the webrender.force-disabled option in the about:config tab, and if you have opengl 2.0 capable vga card (Ati 9500 or better, Nvidia Geforce 6 or better) enable the layers.acceleration.force-enabled option (this is not stable all vga/driver combination so test it, usually openscoure Ati/Amd and proprietary Nvidia is Ok), the latter also applies to Seamonkey. Under Palemoon/Basilisk only, under the settings tab, just enable the hardware acceleration if possible option, suggested addon is ublock-origin for Firefox, and the others for ublock origin legacy version)
      All browsers are compiled under pure Debian 9, and are in xz/bz2 compressed tarball format (so you just have to unpack and test them, if you like you just have to make a launcher for them), they only dependency is gcc-7 (nothing under Debian 10, 11, they have newer gcc already), which can be compiled from source, or here is a pre-compiled version that you just have to copy under /opt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Fenyo.
      andyprough

suggested addon is ublock-origin for Firefox, and the others for ublock origin legacy version)

For Pale Moon, eMatrix is better and light and consistently updated: http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ematrix/

Takes about a week of using it to get used to it, but it’s worth it, whereas uBlock legacy hasn’t been updated in almost 2 years now. If you want the latest git version of uBlock Legacy with commits from late 2021 I wrote a how-to here – http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28149&hilit=ublock+github

user2022

Hello, Fenyo!

have 4 different relatively up-to-date browsers

Thank you!
          This is a really big job!
          Are you building SM-2.53.15b1 with native stretch rustc-mozilla 1.51.0 and ‘ac_add_options –disable-rust-simd’ ?

someone would want to use the browser to do video conferencing on such an old machine anyway

i tried do it with ZOOM :)
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/firefox-esr-update-to-91-4-1/page/5/#post-90310

Fenyo

I complied Seamonkey with mozzila’s rust and cargo backported from Buster under pure Debian 9 (Stretch), yes ac_add_options -disable-rust-simd is a required option, but that alone is not enough, mozconfig.linux32, denormaldisabler.h, emitter.py and common mozconfig files in gfx/angle folder are the key locations. I build Firefox with webrtc (as much as I could, i removed the sse2 flags from webrtc, but left the plain sse in), but i couldn’t test it, i don’t have a usb webcam handy, and the Athlon Xp laptop don’t have one built in (but internet videos and radios that you mentioned works good on it).
            I also tweaked the Seamonkey SSE build a bit, but really it just made the tweaking more cheeky, probably not too much of a change.

Andyprough: Thank you for your suggestions, i complied the little bit newer ublock legacy that you mentioned, because it seems still the best option for Seamonkey.

andyprough

Andyprough: Thank you for your suggestions, i complied the little bit newer ublock legacy that you mentioned, because it seems still the best option for Seamonkey.

Yes, uBlock legacy seems like about the only option on SeaMonkey. I’m wondering if I could find the eMatrix source code if just tweaking the installable browser version numbers would allow it to run correctly on SeaMonkey, or if it is so different from Pale Moon that eMatrix just wouldn’t work on SeaMonkey? Pale Moon also has a currently maintained version of Adblock Latitude, which might be worth trying to tweak to use on SeaMonkey. Could be some fun projects, although not a necessity with uBlock legacy working so well.

marcelocripe

Hello.

I would like to thank you for taking the initiative to compile and package internet browsers for computers with older processors.

Would it be possible to use another platform or file storage service?

According to Word Tutorials (I did not find materials in English) “The Mega prevents downloading files after a bandwidth limit, something around 2GB every eight hours.”

I suggest archive.org or GitLab that don’t make downloading files difficult.

Grateful.

marcelocripe
                (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá.

Eu gostaria de agradecer pela iniciativa de compilarem e empacotarem os navegadores de internet para computadores com processadores antigos.

Seria possível utilizarem uma outra plataforma ou serviço de armazenamento dos arquivos?

Segundo o Tutoriais Word (eu não encontrei matérias em idioma Inglês) “O Mega impede de baixar os arquivos após um limite de banda, algo em torno de 2GB a cada oito horas.”

Eu sugiro o archive.org ou o GitLab que não dificultam o procedimento de baixar arquivos.

Grato.

marcelocripe
                (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Fenyo

Hello marcelocripe,

Ok, if it makes life easier, I bow to the community’s demand :) and uploaded it to arhive.org. This will then be a longer summary post, but fortunately I can do a lot of copy pasting, so now we have 4 different relatively up-to-date browsers to choose from if we only have a sse-capable computer and 3 even without sse.

Here are the SSE ones (in processor-level sse instructions are required, (i.e. Pentium III, mobile and Celeron derivatives (Katmai, Coppermine, Tualatin), any Athlon Xp and K7 based Sempron, Geode NX and any Morgan or newer core Duron.):
                  NewMoon SSE 29.4.6 Based on Palemoon 29.4.6 source code and built under CentOS 6, so glibc 2.12 is the minimum requirement, and it will run on any 32bit distro 2012 or later (e.g. 12.04 (Precise) based Ubuntu or 7 (Wheezy) based Debian and newer based distros).
                  NewMoon SSE 31.4.2 – Based on Palemoon 31.4.2 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.
                  SSErpent 20230113 – Based on Basilisk 20230108 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.
                  Seamonkey SSE 2.53.15b1 – Based on Seamonkey 2.53.15b1 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.
                  Firefox SSE 91.13 ESR – Based on Firefox ESR 91.13 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.

And here are ia32 builds without sse (in processor-level cmov instructions are required, (i.e. Pentium Pro, Pentium II and Mendocino Celeron, as well as classic Athlon (from Argon to Thunderbird), Duron (Spitfire) and probably Geode LX although not fully i686 compatible, but since it has the cmov instruction in it, it might work with i486 antix kernel, if someone has it, they might try it :));
                  NewMoon IA32 29.1.0 – Based on Palemoon 29.1.0 source code and built under CentOS 6, so glibc 2.12 is the minimum requirement, and it will run on any 32bit distro 2012 or later (e.g. 12.04 (Precise) based Ubuntu or 7 (Wheezy) based Debian and newer based distros).
                  NewMoon IA32 31.4.2 – Based on Palemoon 31.4.2 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.
                  Serpent IA32 20230118 – Based on Basilisk 20230108 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.
                  Seamonkey IA32 2.53.15b1 – Based on Seamonkey 2.53.15b1 source code and built under Debian 9 with gcc-7 which is required (glibc 2.27) to run under Debian 9, under Debian 10/11 based distros run out of the box.

I chose the Debian 9 base because it seems to be a sweet spot for these old procs, so if you want to use Debian 9 based distros (which still receive security updates with ELTS), the above builds built under Debian 9, you will need to compile gcc-7 from source, or here is a version i have already compiled and just have to copy it under /opt (or you can also use glibc tweak). Debian 10 and 11 already have newer compilers by default, so there’s nothing to do with this for distros based on those. All browsers are in english, but except for Serpent, which has no language files, all others the official language packs can be installed on them. All above linked browsers are in xz/bz2 compressed tarball format (so you just have to unpack and test them, if you like you just have to create a launcher for them).
                  Under Firefox for better performance, enable the webrender.force-disabled option in the about:config tab, and if you have opengl 2.0 capable vga card (Ati 9500 or better, Nvidia Geforce 6 or better) enable the layers.acceleration.force-enabled option (this is not stable all vga/driver combination so test it, usually openscoure Ati/Amd and proprietary Nvidia is Ok), the latter also applies to Seamonkey. Under Palemoon/Basilisk only, under the settings tab, just enable the hardware acceleration if possible option, suggested addon is ublock-origin for Firefox, and for the Palemoon/Basilsik eMatrix or ublock origin legacy and for Seamonkey only ublock origin legacy version.

andyprough

I chose the Debian 9 base because it seems to be a sweet spot for these old procs, so if you want to use Debian 9 based distros (which still receive security updates with ELTS)

Hi @Fenyo, I’m wondering about Freexian’s ELTS support you linked to. I can’t figure it out from their web page – do you have to buy one of their expensive subscription packages, or are the security updates free for personal use?

user2022

Hi, andyprough!

http://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended
                      It is not an official Debian project. Debian’s infrastructure and other Debian resources are not involved. The project is managed by Freexian.
                      Their customers decide the scope of supported packages but updates and security fixes will be available for all Debian users without cost.

marcelocripe

Hello marcelocripe,

Ok, if it makes life easier, I bow to the community’s demand ???? and uploaded it to arhive.org.

Many thanks, Fenyo for making it so much easier for people to find and download web browsers compiled and adapted to work on older processors.
                        You could also include your archive home page. My home page is http://archive.org/details/@marcelocripe.

Thank you very much!

– – – – –

Hello marcelocripe,

Ok, if it makes life easier, I bow to the community’s demand ???? and uploaded it to arhive.org.

Muito obrigado, Fenyo por tornar muito mais fácil para as pessoas encontrarem e baixarem os navegadores de internet compilados e adaptados para funcionarem em processadores antigos.
                        Você também poderia incluir a sua página inicial do archive. A minha página inicial é http://archive.org/details/@marcelocripe.

Muito obrigado!

Fenyo

Hi,

Andyprough: as far as I know, Debian ELTS is similar to Ubuntu ESM which is for private use is free for up to 5 machines.

Marcelocripe: Here is my archive.org home page.

Colonel Panic

Thanks, I’m bookmarking this thread.

Garrett Derner

andyprough, I read on Freexian’s (Raphael Hertzog’s) site, that the repos are ok for personal use, you don’t have to be a customer. He just asks us to be nice and don’t point heavy traffic to his one server.

I set up Freexian ELTS a couple days ago, to keep a 1999 BP6 system going with antiX 16. I was expecting the following page to tell me everything: http://www.freexian.com/lts/extended/docs/how-to-use-extended-lts/

But neither of the methods for GPG-key install worked. I got Certificate untrusted errors. This page mentions a third way, which worked: http://www.freexian.com/lts/php/docs/access-apt-repositories/

The way is:
                              apt install --allow-unauthenticated freexian-archive-keyring

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Garrett Derner.
                              • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Garrett Derner.
                              Fenyo

This is probably because there is an expired gpg key or just a dead repo enabled in the apt sources list, you should check the repo list first (especially for older distros like this), because neither elts nor esm will work as long as such expired/dead repo’s are enabled, i guess the above command bypasses this…

CyberGhost

I’m late to this thread so I don’t know if anyone mentioned Netsurf yet. I have tried all of the other so called lightweight browsers for older hardware and none of them were as fast and less resource intensive as Netsurf. At least for me. I only have one small laptop with antiX on it. It has a single core pentium m processor with 1gb ram and Netsurf flies on it! Now there does seem to be some limitations to it but that’s not a big deal for me. Like when I am on the main antiX page, the youtube video won’t display but I can click on it and watch it in on YouTube. I usually just use smtube or youtube video player anyway on antiX if I want to watch youtube. This laptop is mainly just a tinker toy for me and if absolutely necessary, a backup computer for doing basic stuff. Anyway, if you have really old hardware like mine, try Netsurf out. I haven’t thoroughly tested it but so far so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 181 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.