[BUG] Terminal Freezes Until I Move Mouse or Type Something in It.

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” [BUG] Terminal Freezes Until I Move Mouse or Type Something in It.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Sep 21-7:48 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    saguaro

I installed antiX-21 “Grup Yorum” on an old laptop i found, because I wanted to host small server for one game. Then I used commands apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to update all stuff that needs updates and I started getting problem where after some time (30-60 sec), the terminal will freeze until i move my mouse or click any button on my keyboard. As it was updating, I moved my mouse few times for it to continue update. Then I installed server files and had the same problem. The server would start normally, but after some time it would stop working until i moved my mouse or clicked any button on keyboard. I kinda temp fixed it using paperclip (paperclip is constantly pressing left arrow button on keyboard).
      Did anyone had the same problem? I would appreciate if someone knows how to fix this.

Specs of the laptop:
      Name: Intel Classmate PC – Clamshell E09EI6 (yes, its an old school PC)
      CPU: Intel® Atom 1.6GHz, 512K L2 SLB73, FSB@533MHz
      Memory: So-DIMM DDR2 2Gb 667Mhz
      Storage Drive: 8G Nand Flash

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by saguaro.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

errr. Roxterm, urxvt,root terminal?

Think you forgot something. Also. Applications have their own bug trackers.

Sounds almost to me almost like a screen blank timeout.

I just upgraded my antiX 21 Full iso Shop wireless desktop computer and do not experience this any time. Also on my laptop installs.
        Which leads to wonder if you have a corrupt install because md5sumn check was probably not done.

Just a guess though on my part. Based on years of experience

What happens when you start terminal from command line?
        Mine for reference

harry@shop:~
        $ roxterm
        harry@shop:~

No error messages and my terminal shows.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

@rokytnji: I agree. I have used multiple terminal emulators, though mostly roxterm. Regardless of which terminal emulator or HOW I invoke it, I have not experienced delays with any of them.

The only issue I am grappling with is an inexplicable issue on my Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop: for some reason, the 5 series antiX kernels rarely complete the full initialization process. I experimented with one, (all of them exhibit the “Waiting on /dev” issue that others have seen.

When I modified the boot string with nomodeset, I was able to get to the command line, but then the X server would not start. I’m suspecting that when I added the nomodeset, this made the automatic X server configuration fail to initialize it’s environment properly; this is an educated conjecture on my part, but the simple fact is that with either the 4.9 kernel or the Liquorix 5 kernel series, I can boot past waiting for /dev, enter all the way into the GUI and operate normally. I’ve updated the system firmware, thinking that may have impacted certain kernels; no difference.

What surprises me most is that there are no obvious issues with the X server, just some well-hidden issue with a couple of my antiX kernels – and yet -if I run those same kernels on other systems they work fine, PLUS they USED to work FINE on this system too.

I’m inclined to reinstall everything and see if I can magically make the problems go away. I believe that would fix it; my only problem with this is that if I take this “simple” work around, I’m not going to successfully find a root cause analysis to this issue, which is the only reason I persist with this – PLUS the fact that I’ve been a system tester for years!

The fact that I have other ways to get in makes me want to be patient to see if I can get to the root of this.

Meanwhile, I agree with you about terminals; there’s nothing wrong with any of them. On my system and on the other person’s system, there is a strong possibility of incompatibilities with certain kernels, and an equally strong possibility of other problems, like hardware beginning to fail, slowing system with failures not immediately obvious; I’ve seen that one many times before.

--
          Brian Masinick

BobC

I noticed you didn’t type the right commands. If you still think its a bug, you should post exactly what steps you took and the inxi -Fxz output, please.

Is this an installed system or running live from USB?

I would start fresh and run the updater from the menu. On that slow of a system I would not try to do other things until its completed.

antiX >> Applications >> antiX >> antiX Updater

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

saguaro

I’m using ROXTerm;
              When I start terminal from command line this happens:

saguaro@saguaro-antiX-server:~
              $

Everything is ok. But when I run command

sudo apt-get upgrade

after some time, it would get stuck, lets say, at 20%, until I give it any HID input.
              That happens no matter what command I run.

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

Hmmm

Looking at your specs. Sounds close to what I used to run.

http://old.www.macomp.com/companionpc.asp

Those clamshells came with older, cheap, phison ssd cards with zif connector for hard drive.
                A
                inxi -zv7

might shed some light on how it is partitioned and used. You might be experiencing hard drive screwups.
                I used to format my replacement kingston 60 gig ssd as ext2 with no swap because that drive could not handle journaling.
                Used live session antiX gparted to fix corrupt drive and file system when turned off improperly like the battery dying while using it.
                I see you are running off a flash drive.
                How fast is it?

http://www.binarytides.com/linux-test-drive-speed/

Bad thing is. With usb 2 ports. Limitations kick in no matter how good the drive because of age of gear.
                I ran antiX 8.2 like you on flash drive also while keeping xandros on internal drive. This was on eeepc 900 though.
                Terminal never froze on me then either. My tutorial is now out of date. As mounting is handled now by blkid instead of /dev/sdxxx.
                http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/07/install-antix-82-final-on-asus-eee-900.html

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by rokytnji.

caprea

Yes please post a complete inxi -zv7 output from terminal.
                  And did you already try another kernel?
                  The antiX full installation runs the 5.xx kernel by default, there’s the 4.9 kernel in the advanced options on the bootscreen as a fallback.

saguaro

inxi -zv7

System:
                    Kernel: 4.9.0-279-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc
                    v: 10.2.1 Desktop: IceWM v: 2.9.9 vt: 7 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                    Distro: antiX-21_386-full Grup Yorum 31 October 2021
                    base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
                    Machine:
                    Type: Laptop System: BLANK product: Intel powered classmate PC v: Gen 1.5L
                    serial: <superuser required>
                    Mobo: N/A model: Intel powered classmate PC v: Gen 1.5L
                    serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends
                    v: CM94515A.86A.0034.2009.0730.1419 date: 07/28/2009
                    Memory:
                    RAM: total: 1.96 GiB used: 178.3 MiB (8.9%)
                    RAM Report:
                    permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
                    CPU:
                    Info: single core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT smt: enabled
                    arch: Bonnell rev: 2 cache: L1: 56 KiB L2: 512 KiB
                    Speed (MHz): avg: 1200 high: 1600 min/max: 800/1600 cores: 1: 1600 2: 800
                    bogomips: 6384
                    Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
                    cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm mca mce mmx monitor
                    movbe msr mtrr nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse sep ss sse sse2 ssse3
                    tm tm2 tsc vme xtpr
                    Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics
                    vendor: Elite Systems driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen3.5 ports:
                    active: LVDS-1 empty: VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:27ae
                    class-ID: 0300
                    Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: intel
                    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                    Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1024×600 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 270x158mm (10.63×6.22″)
                    s-diag: 313mm (12.32″)
                    Monitor-1: LVDS-1 mapped: LVDS1 res: 1024×600 hz: 60 dpi: 60
                    size: 433x271mm (17.05×10.67″) modes: 1024×600
                    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.3.5
                    direct render: Yes
                    Audio:
                    Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio
                    vendor: Elite Systems driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                    chip-ID: 8086:27d8 class-ID: 0403
                    Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k4.9.0-279-antix.1-486-smp running: yes
                    Network:
                    Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Elite Systems
                    driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136
                    class-ID: 0200
                    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
                    IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                    IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                    WAN IP: <filter>
                    Bluetooth:
                    Logical:
                    RAID:
                    Drives:
                    Local Storage: total: 7.63 GiB used: 6.3 GiB (82.5%)
                    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: pSSD 8GB size: 7.63 GiB
                    speed: <unknown> type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 4.47 scheme: MBR
                    Partition:
                    ID-1: / size: 6.92 GiB used: 6.3 GiB (91.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
                    label: rootantiX21 uuid: c9f17482-eb00-42c1-aedd-88083f38d5af
                    Swap:
                    ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -1
                    dev: /dev/sda2 label: swapantiX uuid: a2a4e0b3-aeee-49c0-b725-1679e0c94587
                    Unmounted:
                    USB:
                    Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                    chip-ID: 1d6b:0001 class-ID: 0900
                    Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1
                    speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001 class-ID: 0900
                    Device-1: 2-1:2 info: KYE Systems (Mouse Systems) NetScroll+ Mini
                    Traveler / Genius NetScroll 120
                    type: Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0
                    speed: 1.5 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: 0458:003a class-ID: 0301
                    Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1
                    Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1
                    Device-1: 4-2:2 info: Realtek USB 2.0 multicard reader type: Mass Storage
                    driver: ums-realtek interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 500mA
                    chip-ID: 0bda:0158 class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
                    Sensors:
                    System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
                    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
                    Info:
                    Processes: 144 Uptime: 27m wakeups: 2 Init: SysVinit v: 2.96 runlevel: 5
                    default: multi-user Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 alt: 10 Packages: apt: 1654
                    Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.19

ModdIt

I do not think you have a bug. On installs now over 3 figures the
                      shell has always just worked. Please look for cause not effect.

Looking at the data I think the lack of space on disk is root problem,
                      plus your swap shows as unmounted.

Can you move data to a USB stick ?. When you update room is needed to
                      download packages and then unpack and install them. @times packages
                      will be waiting for an autoremove to clean up.

Apt commands are now a little different to those you post: unless
                      working as su prefix with sudo.

The internal disk is replaceable but very exotic.
                      As far as I can see in a quick search second hand and uneconomical.
                      A high quality (I buy 64GB) USB stick is it
                      seems the best extended storage solution available for your device.

apt update, apt upgrade, apt full-upgrade, at times apt-dist-upgrade.
                      Maybe an apt clean can be of help, the apt cache can become very big.

Since antiX iso files were released there have been a lot of updates
                      and upgrades in packages, all those are kept in the apt cache to avoid
                      need for a fresh download on a reinstall.
                      I do the sudo apt clean to cleanup cache on fresh installs immediately
                      after upgrading.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by ModdIt.
                      • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by ModdIt.
                      ModdIt

Thinking about the best way of getting the system up to date
                        on such a limited machine.

Run a fitting version live, if possible on more powerful hardware.
                        Do a full upgrade then remaster. If a system is difficult with USB
                        create an image and burn to DVD.

Install from updated medium.

do not customize until a working installation is acheived.

saguaro

I ran updater from the menu and it completed successfully. But the problem is still not fixed :/

saguaro

I might try that on weekend, because I’ll be busy this week.

saguaro

The more I read replies, the more I think that some of you think this is a problem with updating/upgrading. There are no problems with updating/upgrading (I updated/upgraded(and cleaned) my system successfully), the problem I have is freezing terminal. As I explained, It would get stuck for some reason until it got some input. Also, how is my swap space unmounted, when it’s being used rn?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by saguaro.
                              Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

If me. I would try re-installing roxterm as a trouble shooting step.

1st though I purge and uninstall everything in roxterm config section.

apt remove – This command is used to remove a package but leave all of it’s configuration files in place. When you reinstall the same package later, all of your settings will still be intact.

apt purge – It is same as “apt remove” command but also removes all of the configuration files.

Edit: wondering if a df -h readout will help also when terminal quits by opening another a terminal and typing thew command I posted.
                                Maybe the disk is full when it stops.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by rokytnji.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.