Build & Maintain Help Across Desktops

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Build & Maintain Help Across Desktops

• This topic has 101 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Dec 21-10:27 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    manyroadsmanyroads

I have begun a series of publications (tutorials) on creating & using tools to access and remember keybindings, get help, etc. across multiple ‘diverse’ desktops. I will update this post with new items as I publish them on the eirenicon site.

Build & Maintain Help Across Distinct Desktops- Part 1

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

manyroadsmanyroads

Here is the second article…. all code, guidance, etc. is available in the series.

Build & Maintain Help Across Distinct Desktops- Part 2

Here are images:

Pax vobiscum,
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

many,
    is it possible that you set the images twice? Because the forum software didn’t show you anything the first time?

I experienced that too.
    The picture (in screenshots) is only displayed after 24 hours.
    The entry in screenshots was made after 36 hours.

manyroadsmanyroads

I don’t know (ich weis nicht). The images work for me. (Die fotos sind okay bei mir).

Pax vobiscum,

KooKoo

T430 MX-19 , antiX-19 runit.

KooKoo

Tried to upload thumbnails of a cheatsheet that I use can upload one but not more so gave up. Here is one anyway it runs as a rofi.

manyroadsmanyroads

Looks nice. 😉 Gotta love rofi.

Pax vobiscum,

KooKoo

I had to edit the .sh script to make it work also has mpv,ranger,ncmpcpp and a few more that I don’t use just handy for the key combo’s. rofi is great I don’t use any other launchers anymore.

I had to install windows again because of work , exchange and outlook 8.1 pro. So i,m back on antiX full time so glad they moved to buster just makes things easier with the later versions of programs I use, the only thing I git install is i3 gaps so I have the latest version of i3 too.

All the Best many

KooKoo

I have been using this running as rofi..

I also have a hard time remembering all the keys for the various programs.

When I think about that, I see a Help system that could be generated as an HTML file and then browsed with low resource browser like Dillo, or any other browser you like better. It could work from a configurable folder, where you would put text (with links if you like) and/or HTML files named in the alpha sequence you wanted them to appear. The top level menu could actually be generated as a menu for the Window manager(s) or a program launcher like Rofi.

Perhaps it would also be nice as a dynamic “Pop-Up Menu” that you could hit a configurable key, and it would make a list of all the windows on that desktop, add any standard ones like the window manager itself, then pop up the list of help files for all the ones there, defaulting to the one for the current active window, followed by the standard ones, and then the rest in alpha sequence.

Maybe my idea isn’t so good. It would be best if it was easy to edit, and if it’s to be used on multiple systems, it’s probably best done outside of the window manager since they are all different. I do still think generating something in HTML that dillo could display would be better to me than using Rofi, mostly because I don’t normally use Rofi.

generating something in HTML that dillo could display would be

would be darn-near impossible.
    Many applications provide in-app configurable “accelerators” & store the user’s customized keybinds to gawd-knows-where (for any given app, it may be: a gconf registry file, a sqlite database, a proprietary rc or conf file)… and some of the applications which provide in-app configurable keybinds do not even test//check whether the user is setting a keybind which will mask, or conflict with, a global keybind.

roky has posted screenshots which features conky output showing a dozen or so common (pre-assigned, default) global keybinds. That seems like a good “help toward getting started” amenity. However, if the keys+actions list is read from a static file (vs parsed every NN minutes from ~/.currentWM/keys file), the “help” details are at risk of becoming stale//incorrect.

If you search — from the forum homepage — past discussions mentioning icypee
    (the goofy name of a resuscitated IceWM Control Panel component)
    glancing at the screenshots should underscore the point that ya might as well just steer the user toward editing their ~/.*/keys file. That way, they’ll have the benefit of being able to read (and/or edit) inline explanatory comments.

I guess I didn’t write clearly enough again… My bad there, I will try again…

I would like a pop-up help system to tell me what keyboard shortcuts are available, and link to help for the programs. I think that is also what manyroads might be trying to get to, but his vision is of getting there via Rofi.

It would be nice if it this pop-up help were what I would call “contex sensitive”, and would notice what window I am in and pop up the keyboard shortcuts and link to help for that program as well as for the window manager in use. Maybe also links for all the other active window programs as well?

I’m not expecting the program to make the list of keyboard shortcuts for me, because as you say, they are all configured differently in different files with different syntaxes. Somewhere I already did that for my IceWM, in a text file, but I don’t really have a good way to pop it and others up, linked together as a DIY pop up help system of sorts. I don’t even have a good way to pop my text file up, let alone a way to convert it to HTML for Dillo to display.

Maybe there is a better way?

? ? ?
    https://github.com/andersju/zzzfoo

zzzfoo: Desktop file search with Rofi and Recoll

This script lets you combine the excellent full-text search tool Recoll with Rofi (popular dmenu replacement, among other things) to quickly search all your indexed files. It simply performs a Recoll search using Recoll’s Python module, pipes the output to rofi -dmenu, and (optionally) does something with the selected match.

If you only need file paths in your results, forget this script and just grep/sed the result of recoll -t -e -b <foobar> and pipe that into rofi or dmenu; this script is basically a one-liner that got out of hand.

(in this post I’m just brainstorming aloud)

? press a button (activate a keybind) to scriptomagically, via wmctrl, xwininfo, and xdotool…
    automate clicking the toolbar Help button of the currently focused window?

? build a recoll index of
    usr / share / doc / *
    usr / share / gnome /help / *
    usr / share / man / *
    and press a button to pass the focused window (title text? WM_CLASS?) to recollq -o {$}
    https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/webhelp/docs/RCL.SEARCH.COMMANDLINE.html
    recollq -o ‘$1 mime:text/html’

pop it and others up, linked together as a DIY pop up help system of sorts

Others? Each time I search, I really don’t want to know//care where the helptext is being drawn from. When my first pass is too generic, e.g. searching for “fonts” and brings too many results, I can modify the search query and make a second pass.

https://github.com/koniu/recoll-webui
    ” Run webui-standalone.py and connect to http://localhost:8080

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.