Build & Maintain Help Across Desktops

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Build & Maintain Help Across Desktops

• This topic has 101 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Dec 21-10:27 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • Author

(wow, the spamfilter is even interfering with THIS post.
    I’m stumped. Which i did I neglet to do this time?!?)

Whatever I posted to pastebin, that’s a static page ~~ AFAIK, I can’t go back and revise the content at that URL.
    Since then, I have not uploaded any later copies of the script.
    In post #30585, I explained what you can expect to find in a forthcoming WIP version (hoping to hear feedback on which details in the header docs seem unclear, or seem like some of the design details seem like anti-features). Although I regret the ensuing confusion, I reckon that by withholding each of the rapid-succession WIP versions, I’m sparing both of us quite a bit of frustration. “Wait, innit supposed to…?” (yeah, that detail is still buggy) or (no, behaving as detailed in the docs, whoops I mean the belatedly updated docs…)

At the moment, I’m wrestling with how to deal with the beginswith//endswith matching.
    I don’t want you (or me) end-user to care about globbing and bash regex matching,
    so I have the script prepending * to user-supplied “endswith” matchstrings… but it needs to read the asterisk as a literal character when reloading the items list… and then needs to (or would, if I don’t just cave and scratch this feature) apply globbing(?) when matching the string.

None of the remaining WIP wrinkles are relavent to your apparent intended “–onlyknown” usage, but prior to using the script you will need to edit a few lines to change “geany $notename” to “zim -n $notename”. I have included the following within the current version of the script’s header… but I’ll need to carefully proofread the (now 150+ lines) inline “docs” to check for other discrepancies before uploading a revised “version” of the script. When I upload another smoketesting version, I’ll send a PM or make a followup post.

######___________________________________________________
    ###
    ###         THIS SCRIPT DEPENDS ON "yad" FOR CREATING POPUPS
    ###         AND (AS SHIPPED) EXPECTS "leafpad" AND "geany" ARE INSTALLED.
    ###         IF YOU WANT TO USE ALTERNATIVE HELPERS, SEARCH IN FILE AND REPLACE THESE.

(wow, the spamfilter is even interfering with THIS post.
    I’m stumped. Which i did I neglet to dot this time?!?)

Whatever I posted to pastebin, that’s a static page ~~ AFAIK, I can’t go back and revise the content at that URL.
    Since then, I have not uploaded any later copies of the script.
    In post #30585, I explained what you can expect to find in a forthcoming WIP version (hoping to hear feedback on which details in the header docs seem unclear, or seem like some of the design details seem like anti-features). Although I regret the ensuing confusion, I reckon that by withholding each of the rapid-succession WIP versions, I’m sparing both of us quite a bit of frustration. “Wait, innit supposed to…?” (yeah, that detail is still buggy) or (no, behaving as detailed in the docs, whoops I mean the belatedly updated docs…)

At the moment, I’m wrestling with how to deal with the beginswith//endswith matching.
    I don’t want you (or me) end-user to care about globbing and bash regex matching,
    so I have the script prepending * to user-supplied “endswith” matchstrings… but it needs to read the asterisk as a literal character when reloading the items list… and then needs to (or would, if I don’t just cave and scratch this feature) apply globbing(?) when matching the string.

None of the remaining WIP wrinkles are relavent to your apparent intended “–onlyknown” usage, but prior to using the script you will need to edit a few lines to change “geany $notename” to “zim n $notename”. I have mentioned this detail within the current version of the script’s header… but I’ll need to carefully proofread the (now 150+ lines) inline “docs” to check for other discrepancies before uploading a revised “version” of the script. When I upload another smoketesting version, I’ll send a PM or make a followup post.

^— FWIW, the message would not post until I removed a “codeblock” which only contained the following

###
    ### THIS SCRIPT DEPENDS ON “yad” FOR CREATING POPUPS
    ### AND (AS SHIPPED) EXPECTS “leafpad” AND “geany” ARE INSTALLED.
    ### IF YOU WANT TO USE ALTERNATIVE HELPERS, SEARCH IN FILE AND REPLACE THESE.

I had simply marked that as a codeblock in order to preserve whitespace//alignment
    (which is still present, as seen when I click the “quote” button on this post)

LOL, I have no clue about the triple post other than that I’m sure YOU aren’t doing it. I’m trying to be very careful posting here…

I like your “there is no existing page, so offer to create one” idea. That was a problem I was seeing as well, because different programs and usages are going to cause a naming system to have problems. And then some of them you might WANT a separate help screen for each. Maybe this isn’t helptext, its SuperHelp!

What would the script that runs from the hotkey look like if I wanted to use Zim? I am guessing that is the piece I’m missing…

Btw, I do like the idea of pattern matching, and for techie people that would be great, but it is too much for normal folks. Maybe do the regex if you can and provide examples of common situations.

PS: for the standard programs we use a lot, maybe we could just provide default settings. For example, if I hit the super help key in geany, I am likely wanting help with geany, but I admit it might be possible that I wanted help for the toolbar tab I was in, therefore start at the most granular level where the file is found, and if not, try at the more general level, ie help for geany. The same thing applies to other programs that open named windows, like firefox or a text editor, or word processor.

PSS: I am READING the notes you added. I admit to being a “do it, if it doesn’t work, fix it and try it again” person. At times it is hazardous.

PSS2: I read it all, and the notes ARE helpful and says how to include the zim, but doesn’t say where in the script to add it. I would suggest just putting examples of zim, geany and scite in with all but one of them commented out, so that by default it works somehow, but can be tweaked. I have come to the conclusion that your yad screens look good as far as being helpful setting up entries. Yes, I know, the pastebin problem…
    ###
    ### The “zim” (aka “zim wiki”) program can be called using a commandline option
    ### which directs it to “open a named node”. You might modify this helpnotes script
    ### so that it calls zim (and passes options to zim using zim’s expected syntax)
    ###

Thanks for all the thought and effort you are putting into this. It’s getting pretty advanced.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.

{ double post removed }

v—- so now, in the following post, “Above Below, I am showing…”

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by skidoo.

{ double post removed }

Above, I am showing the prerequisite zim setup used for my testing.
    On your system, if a different zim notebook is set as the default notebook, you may need to customize the launchstring that you use to invoke zim. If, on your system, the path to the notebook datafiles is different, you will need to customize.

Below, note that I’ve not used commandline syntax per the zim manpage. Doing so didn’t seem to work.
    As shown here, I am passing no option to zim other than the filepathname of the desired target node to open and focus.

If you have multiple zim notebooks, or if “Helpnotes” is not set as your default notebook, you may need to pass the notebook name as a commandline option and|or use n (which I had used during my earlier testing, but seems unnecessary during tonight’s testing). I do not intend to test various other “whatif” permutations regarding how zim’s preferences might be, or night not be, configured differently from that of my testbed system.

A checkmark is missing from the “izzit soup yet” screencap because when zim opend that time (one time)(first time?), the targeted node had not been granted focus.

Notable to mention that I did not (need to) manually perform “Save” in between steps. After checking that the desired node had focus, I just redX closed the zim window and returned to the terminal prompt to perform the next pair of touch+launch commands.

Based on this testing, the zim launchstring within the bobHelpnotes script should be

zim ~/Notebooks/Helpnotes/$notename.txt

If you intend to use geany as the helpviewer program instead of zim, the launchstring will be:
    (unless you edit the script to match any customized helpfile storage location)

geany ~/Helpnotes/$notename

{ double post removed }

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

{ double post removed }

will probably wind up as yet another double post.
    I am GUESSING the spamfilter rejected this due to presence of “forwardslash or”

Here, I am showing the prerequisite zim setup used for my testing.
    On your system, if a different zim notebook is set as the default notebook, you may need to customize the launchstring that you use to invoke zim. If, on your system, the path to the notebook datafiles is different, you will need to customize.

Below, note that I’ve not used commandline syntax per the zim manpage. Doing so didn’t seem to work.
    As shown here, I am passing no option to zim other than the filepathname of the desired target node to open and focus.

If you have multiple zim notebooks, or if “Helpnotes” is not set as your default notebook, you may need to pass the notebook name as a commandline option and|or use n (which I had used during my earlier testing, but seems unnecessary during tonight’s testing). I do not intend to test various other “whatif” permutations regarding how zim’s preferences might be, or night not be, configured differently from that of my testbed system.

( continued next post. I’ll need to scroll up and review the screecaps before describing them. )

{ double post removed }

Man, these crazy double and triple posts!

skidoo, the only problem I have currently is understanding where to insert the line call to zim in the bobHelpnotes script

https://pastebin.com/raw/B4VypHhf

BobC, here’s a near-final copy of the script. It is pre-configured to use zim.

1) Save the script as / usr / local / bin / bobHelpnotes
    2) chmod +x
    3) launch “bobHelpnotes” (noquotes) to begin a trainingmode run

Optionally, you can create a file
    ~ / .config / Helpnotes / knowntitles
    containing a list of the windowtitles that you want to specifically provide helpdocs for, one per line… and altogether skip trainingmode, instead using this launchstring:

bobHelpnotes --onlyknown

https://pastebin.com/raw/B4VypHhf

BobC, here’s a near-final copy of the script. It is pre-configured to use zim.

1) Save the script as / usr / local / bin / bobHelpnotes
    2) chmod +x
    3) launch "bobHelpnotes" (noquotes) to begin a trainingmode run

Optionally, you can create a file
    ~ / .config / Helpnotes / knowntitles
    containing a list of the windowtitles that you want to specifically provide helpdocs for, one per line… and altogether skip trainingmode, instead using this launchstring:

bobHelpnotes --onlyknown

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.