Can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Jan 11-8:47 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Elu

I am oftentimes quite bad at understanding something that is clear to others, so I am asking this question – can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

Let me provide some context. I am currently running Debian 12 with OpenBOX, tint2, rofi, pcmanfm, pnmixer, pulseaudio, compton, and some other little things to make the desktop experience that I like. I use it all the way I do because I don’t need much and I don’t want a system that uses many resources when idle.

I have been impressed so far with AntiX by using it on a crappy laptop with Celeron N3060 and 2GB of RAM. It works for browsing, typing things on, watching videos, and some other light things, but it’s not a system that I use mainly.

I have a reasonably powerful computer that I use day to day for the aforementioned simple tasks, and then gaming via Steam and such.

Is AntiX suitable for it? Will I encounter any issues with it? Meaning any more issues than what I would encounter with stock Debian 12.

I will be happy to provide more context if needed. I just need to have a clear answer because, the way I see it, AntiX is a relatively obscure distribution that uses suspiciously little of system resources in comparison to other, far more popular distributions, and so I wonder whether AntiX’s specifics would prevent me from daily driving it with minimal issues like I do with regular Debian 12.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

[snip] … AntiX is a relatively obscure distribution that uses suspiciously little of system resources in comparison to other, far more popular distributions, and so I wonder whether AntiX’s specifics would prevent me from daily driving it with minimal issues like I do with regular Debian 12.

If you think there is anything suspicious about antiX (not AntiX) you shouldn’t use it.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

Yes, I’ve been doing it for years.

have a reasonably powerful computer that I use day to day for the aforementioned simple tasks, and then gaming via Steam and such.

Is AntiX suitable for it?

Yes. I don’t have steam games, but I have lots of free Epic Store games, that I play (via Heroic), on my home desktop pc, even without a dedicated video card.

Will I encounter any issues with it? Meaning any more issues than what I would encounter with stock Debian 12.

You will probably encounter issues with any OS you use. More issues than with Debian 12? Probably no, unless you want to use software that requires systemd (Snaps being the biggest example). Also, if you expect out of the box support for flatpaks, antiX does not include it, but it can be installed. Flatpaks work as expected in antiX, but they do not have a GUI store (Package Installer, unlike MX’s Package Installed does not work as a GUI to manage flatpaks).
          If all you want is to use Debian packages, and stuff does not only work with systemd, then you will be happy with antiX.
          It’s my daily driver, and has been for years now- on my office PC (on my own office, that I use for work), on my home computer that I use for browsing, watching video, listening to music, writing, playing games, etc. I can even use my 32bits laptop to browse the web with lighter browsers. It does basically everything a modern computer does, but usually a bit slower, sometimes a lot slower- most times it feels like a very low specs modern laptop.
          A computer with 2 or more cores, and 2 or more GB of RAM and a fast hard drive or SSD will fly, when using antiX.

But there’s nothing like experimenting for yourself- install antiX 23, update it, install your games, your software and see how it feels.

EDIT:
          I don’t particularly recommend using a window manager other than the ones included in antiX, but you can install and use OpenBOX.
          Feel free to install and use tint2 and rofi. There’s even a package that configures antiX to use it’s own tint2 configuration- ft10-transformation.
          Pcmanfm requires some extra packages to work correctly with antix. The default file manager, zzzfm is a “cousin” of pcmanfm and acts and feels very similar.
          Pulseaudio – I don’t recommend using it. Use Pipewire audio server, already included in antiX 23 Full. It can be switched off via a toggle, and use only alsa. When using alsa, feel free to install and use Pulseaudio,
          pnmixer– I never used it.
          Compton – can be installed and works perfectly in antiX, but antiX already provides a lighter compositor.

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
          Robin

so I wonder whether AntiX’s specifics would prevent me from daily driving it with minimal issues like I do with regular Debian 12

This depends in the first place on whether you need to rely on programs expecting systemd to be present. There is no systemd in antiX, and also no elogind.

If you can answer this question with “yes, I can waive systemd and elogind”, you are fine with antiX as a daily driver, it runs rock stable. I use it myself for some years now as daily driver on 32 bit and 64 bit both and can report that even heavy duty tasks have not managed to bring down the systems.

So yes, antiX is definitely fine as a daily driver under the beforementioned condition.

… Wait. One additional remark: Sure, you can install Programs in need of systemd on antiX. They will draw in lots of new packages from debian repos and probably slow down the system. But it should work still. One of the reasons why antiX is that agile is: It waives systemd.

Robin

————
            P.S.:

AntiX is a relatively obscure distribution

Yeah. True. It has antiX magic in it. So no wonder, that’s what you sense. 🙂

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Been on here for while. But I don’t game. As a motorcycle shop billing system. I drive it daily.
              Have it on some respectable gear like chromebooks also.
              Been my daily driver since version 7 or so.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Elu

If you think there is anything suspicious about antiX (not AntiX) you shouldn’t use it.

I don’t mean ‘suspicious’ as in security-related suspicion or anything like that. It’s just that antiX uses relatively little of system resources compared to more popular distributions that other people use relatively easily, and I wonder if this difference in resource usage impacts usability. Because processes use resources, and apps and games depend on certain processes running. I hope I’m clear about what I mean.

Yes, I’ve been doing it for years.

have a reasonably powerful computer that I use day to day for the aforementioned simple tasks, and then gaming via Steam and such.

Is AntiX suitable for it?

Yes. I don’t have steam games, but I have lots of free Epic Store games, that I play (via Heroic), on my home desktop pc, even without a dedicated video card.

Will I encounter any issues with it? Meaning any more issues than what I would encounter with stock Debian 12.

You will probably encounter issues with any OS you use. More issues than with Debian 12? Probably no, unless you want to use software that requires systemd (Snaps being the biggest example). Also, if you expect out of the box support for flatpaks, antiX does not include it, but it can be installed. Flatpaks work as expected in antiX, but they do not have a GUI store (Package Installer, unlike MX’s Package Installed does not work as a GUI to manage flatpaks).
                If all you want is to use Debian packages, and stuff does not only work with systemd, then you will be happy with antiX.
                It’s my daily driver, and has been for years now- on my office PC (on my own office, that I use for work), on my home computer that I use for browsing, watching video, listening to music, writing, playing games, etc. I can even use my 32bits laptop to browse the web with lighter browsers. It does basically everything a modern computer does, but usually a bit slower, sometimes a lot slower- most times it feels like a very low specs modern laptop.
                A computer with 2 or more cores, and 2 or more GB of RAM and a fast hard drive or SSD will fly, when using antiX.

But there’s nothing like experimenting for yourself- install antiX 23, update it, install your games, your software and see how it feels.

EDIT:
                I don’t particularly recommend using a window manager other than the ones included in antiX, but you can install and use OpenBOX.
                Feel free to install and use tint2 and rofi. There’s even a package that configures antiX to use it’s own tint2 configuration- ft10-transformation.
                Pcmanfm requires some extra packages to work correctly with antix. The default file manager, zzzfm is a “cousin” of pcmanfm and acts and feels very similar.
                Pulseaudio – I don’t recommend using it. Use Pipewire audio server, already included in antiX 23 Full. It can be switched off via a toggle, and use only alsa. When using alsa, feel free to install and use Pulseaudio,
                pnmixer– I never used it.
                Compton – can be installed and works perfectly in antiX, but antiX already provides a lighter compositor.

P.

Thank you for the detailed answer. This alleviates a lot of my worries. I forgot to mention, but I’m relatively new to Linux. I’ve been using Linux Mint at first for a couple of month, then switched back to Windows 10, and then switched to Debian around six months ago and have been using it ever since. I know how to do some basic things, I know how to use the terminal and I actually like it – I generally prefer minimalistic interface, and you can hardly go more minimal than what the terminal provides – and some other things, but I am perfectly aware that there is a lot more than I don’t know. Hence my questions.

so I wonder whether AntiX’s specifics would prevent me from daily driving it with minimal issues like I do with regular Debian 12

This depends in the first place on whether you need to rely on programs expecting systemd to be present. There is no systemd in antiX, and also no elogind.

If you can answer this question with “no, I can waive systemd and elogind”, you are fine with antiX as an daily driver, it runs rock stable. I use it myself for some years now as daily driver on 32 bit and 64 bit both and can report that even heavy duty tasks have managed to bring down the systems.

So yes, antiX is definitely fine as a daily driver under the beforementioned condition.

… Wait. One additional remark: Sure, you can install Programs in need of systemd on antiX. They will draw in lots of new packages from debian repos and probably slow down the system. But it should work still. One of the reasons why antiX is that agile is: It waives systemd.

Thank you for your answer, it is quite reassuring.I know very little about systemd and elogind, so I would likely have to check whether they’re required for anything I install. Though, I think it shouldn’t be an issue for casual use, or so I hope.

blur13

You’re asking on the official antiX forum if antiX can be used as a daily driver?

This is a clear case of selection bias. Those that use antiX as a daily driver are precisely the people who populate this forum.

Those who found antiX to be lacking are not around to tell you so.

So I’ll just chime in with yet another opinion that it certainly can be used as a daily driver.

madibi

I’m an eternal newbie.
                    As for my needs, included some win programs used with wine, I like antiX 100%.
                    I use it as a daily driver,
                    I can reuse very old and forgotten pc, due its small footprint,
                    I’ve just teached an old guy (80y) how to use it and he is very happy,
                    the community is super friendly,
                    you can do everything with a gui,
                    it is not bloated, instead you have at your disposal many little pieces of cake of apps taylormade for low end pc(s).

These are the reasons why I stick to antiX

m

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by madibi.
                    PPC

This is a clear case of selection bias. Those that use antiX as a daily driver are precisely the people who populate this forum.

🙂 Right, as always. But the OP also stated his exact goals, what he wanted to use, and what he wanted to do- it was not a generic question. The generic answer to all his questions is- use antiX, it’s great, unless you want Linux software that requires systemd (or, elogind, that can be installed without problems). I may add that, for now, wayland specific software also does not run out of the box in antiX (I think none of our window managers works under it or expected to ever work). For a regular computer user that does not want to use snaps, antiX is as easy to use as any well known distro, and lighter than all of them.

P.

Xunzi_23

PPC Wrote, For a regular computer user that does not want to use snaps, antiX is as easy to use as any well known
                        distro, and lighter than all of them.

More than agree. I moved from mint to antiX. Find antiX more dependable although Clem the Mint lead dev has
                        along with dev team fixed many problems introduced by its mothership buntu. What can not be fixed at present is the
                        not an init system.

I would add the distinctive antiX tools to the plus side.
                        I run and support antiX on a plethora of devices from old to new, many saved from win 11 madness of late.
                        New users do take a while to get used to the fact they are owner and admin.

No automatically installed msft wrecking bombs, stability, fast boot fast shutdown and thousands of applications
                        available through package manager, apt install, synaptic and for the more interested self compiling.

Latest new user is amazed and baffled at the way her laptop has changed from a device showing windoze whirly widget for hours
                        to boot to login about 4 seconds. Hardware change was installing an msata ssd, she has 4 GB Memory which is plenty for the system
                        to run either fully live, live toram for immutable with lightning speed. Reboot without remaster to return to untouched system or
                        as now installed with separate home.

marcelocripe

Hello Elu.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

My reasons for using and being part of this fantastic community that is the antiX Linux community are:
                          1 – AntiX Linux is designed to consume few computer resources.
                          2 – antiX Linux has a translation into Brazilian Portuguese.
                          3 – AntiX Linux does not depend on SystemD or any other crap related to it to work. (A friend of mine in the PCLinuxOS community once told me, that antiX Linux is exactly how Debian should be, but isn’t)
                          4 – The antiX Linux community accepted me, even though I don’t know how to read or write in English (this didn’t happen in other forums), they know that I try to communicate with the help of automatic translators.
                          5 – The antiX Linux community allowed me and allows me to collaborate with the operating system in some way, whether by helping to translate antiX and MX Linux into Brazilian Portuguese, testing the programs, the ISOs (beta, alpha, etc. ), etc.
                          6 – It was with antiX Linux and everything I learned here in this forum, that I was able to implement antiX on the computers that were donated to Center for Children and Adolescents – CCA which is a non-governmental organization.

Note: And since no one is iron, I can still play many games on antiX Linux. See the topic in the Portuguese language area Various Application Programs from the antiX and Games.

marcelocripe
                          (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, Elu.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.
                          Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

O meus motivos para eu utilizar e para fazer parte desta comunidade fantástica que é a comunidade do antiX Linux são:
                          1 – O antiX Linux é projetado para consumir poucos recursos do computador.
                          2 – O antiX Linux possui tradução para o meu idioma Português do Brasil.
                          3 – O antiX Linux não depende do SystemD ou de qualquer outra porcaria relacionada a isso para funcionar. (Um amigo meu da comunidade do PCLinuxOS me disse uma vez, que o antiX Linux é exatamente como o Debian deveria ser, mas não é)
                          4 – A comunidade do antiX Linux me aceitou, mesmo eu não sabendo ler ou escrever em idioma Inglês (isso não ocorreu em outros fóruns), sabem que eu tento me comunicar com o auxílio dos tradutores automáticos.
                          5 – A comunidade do antiX Linux me permitiu e permite colaborar com o sistema operacional de alguma forma, seja ajudando a traduzir o antiX e o MX Linux para o idioma Português do Brasil, testando os programas, as ISOs (beta, alpha, etc.), etc.
                          6 – Foi com o antiX Linux e com tudo que eu aprendi aqui neste fórum, que eu pude implementar do antiX nos computadores que foram doados para o Centro para Crianças e Adolescentes – CCA que é uma organização não governamental.

Obs.: E como ninguém é de ferro, ainda posso jogar muitos jogos no antiX Linux. Veja na área em idioma Português o tópico Vários Programas Aplicativos/Aplicações da Comunidade antiX e Jogos.

marcelocripe
                          (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

techore

Welcome and I use antiX as my daily driver.

antiX is not perfect but install your applications and if you run into problems, come to the forum for help. Do read marcelocripe linked posts as a starting point, search the forums–I use google for searching, then post questions and explain what you tried to remedy the issue.

Brian Masinick

“Can AntiX be used as a daily driver?”
                              YES

I use it as a daily driver, like many others.

--
                              Brian Masinick

blur13

There is also MX linux to consider, they have a very polished product, and is in some ways easier to install and tends to have fewer issues. For context, today I tried to install antiX on a Lenovo Thinkpad E14 g4. It has a Realtek wifi card, known to be troublesome on linux. AntiX wont recognize it on a live system. I tried MX linux with “advanced hardware support” and it worked “out of the box” (as we are fond of saying on this forum). I’m pretty sure I can get antiX to work as well, by installing a newer kernel, or some other trick. Just writing this to provide a different perspective.

I still prefer antiX because of its focus on efficient minimalism.

PPC

@blur13 – good points- Very new devices (from what I saw on-line that model is about half year old), probably require newer kernels that what antiX ships with to use all pieces of software. The Linux Kernel includes (almost) all the drivers the hardware requires. If the hardware was produced about the time the Kernel came out, it’s impossible for the kernel to include the correct drivers for it.
                                  For very new devices, in fact MXLinux AHS is ideal… or antiX with a newer Kernel (if available). For the device the OP has?… antiX should work great as a daily driver.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.