Can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Can AntiX be used as a daily driver?

• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Jan 11-8:47 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

There is also MX linux to consider, they have a very polished product, and is in some ways easier to install and tends to have fewer issues. For context, today I tried to install antiX on a Lenovo Thinkpad E14 g4. It has a Realtek wifi card, known to be troublesome on linux. AntiX won’t recognize it on a live system. I tried MX linux with “advanced hardware support” and it worked “out of the box” (as we are fond of saying on this forum). I’m pretty sure I can get antiX to work as well, by installing a newer kernel, or some other trick. Just writing this to provide a different perspective.

I still prefer antiX because of its focus on efficient minimalism.

To your point @blur during antiX 21 and 22, particularly when I had the Acer Aspire 5 A515-55, I found that siduction and MX Linux AHS, and also PCLinuxOS were able to recognize GPT, EFI and UEFI environments AND they had the correct updates to the wireless network modules that this particular system needed, so once I figured all of that out, I chose MX Linux AHS as the place from which to “engineer” my own custom solution, consisting of additional kernels to support the wireless card, fixes that added the missing module(s) for the wireless card AND the kernel modules and their directories for the relevant kernel(s). Once I got all of that working, I was able to access the network and THEN I could get new kernels and update or further customize any of my systems.

Not very many people “multi-boot” their systems, and even fewer people can custom re-engineer their systems, so such things are items that either engineers or developers usually have to add; thankfully antiX has subsequently made a number of significant additional improvements AND I got some different hardware so I don’t have to deal with any of that (for now anyway).

We do a fantastic job here; when we do have hardware or software issues, it is VERY IMPORTANT to somehow obtain and share the details about our systems and the issues that exist so that the team can resolve even the relatively few issues that do inevitably arise.

--
      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

I don’t know about some of these MX spinoffs. Network-Manager wpa password on those are just on a loop and kick you out and you try to connect over and over again.
        I learned about this with the 1.8 gig HnossOS-V1.1.2.iso. Pulse audio is muted and alsamixer is in the menu. But not installed.
        No way to connect wireless with network-manager so kinda a catch-22 scenario. I mentioned these things in the Hnoss thread in MX forum. Developer reply showed me how to build my own MX minimal setup with the parts I needed. Marked the post as helpful and left it at that.

Was experimenting with my chromebook. So just waiting for runit4 to become final and will try that again on my chromebook. The beta version worked all hardware on runit4 on that chromebook. Sound , bluetooth, wireless. All them things I have to fight to get working on a chromebook. Like touchpad settings .

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

What I think is really cool about all of this is that there are enough options and alternatives that nearly everything is supported *somewhere*.

One potentially significant thing that happened not too long ago was that the standard kernel provided by kernel.org eliminated a few systems and architectures. However before it even happened there was quite a bit of time and notifications issued. Distribution leadership had time to enquire. I remember seeing many notices on Debian publications, for instance.

Meanwhile many more components were added than removed from the device support provided in the kernel. As our equipment ages it’s important to keep track of the support for the components in our environment so they will continue to function properly.

--
          Brian Masinick

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.