Can i uninstall smxi? [SOLVED]

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Can i uninstall smxi? [SOLVED]

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BobC Mar 29-10:23 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BobC

How would I uninstall smxi?

I installed it on one laptop, and I don’t notice any performance improvement, and so I probably should just remove it, but I’m afraid if i do it wrong I’ll end up in a mess.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by BobC.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

apt-get purge smxi-inxi-antix

but

apt-get purge smxi-inxi-antix 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      artwork17-antix sysv-rc-conf
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      control-centre-antix* inxi-gui-antix* smxi-inxi-antix*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 1,519 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

Why not just not use it, you never see it as its not in any menu.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC

Thanks for replying. I was just concerned because I see the warning errors in the boot on udevd and tainted kernel. I started to try to uninstall and it looked like it was going to cause trouble, so I left it alone. I agree, I will just leave it and just not load it if I reload again at some point.

I am working on an installed package vs original package list that removes all the things that were pulled in as dependencies to get it down to one list of what packages I need to install or remove to have it loaded with the programs I want, and I plan to use that to be able to load my add ons after the install is complete.

masinick
    masinick

Hi BobC,

It sounds to me like you want to build your own customized system. That’s very doable with antiX we have three different ways to get there.

Installing the”Full” version gives you an immediate working distribution, which is a great way to get started. If you gain enough experience, starting with our Base distribution gives you a base usable system, and allows you to add the additional software you want. The Core distribution is the most flexible because it only provides the Linux kernel and the core utilities from which you can build whatever you want.

Smxi is a great tool to use that can help you to quickly build your system, but it’s not the ONLY way. You can add individual packages or meta packages (which install a group of package applications).

I hope that this is useful for you.
    Feel free to ask more questions as needed.

Brian Masinick

skidoo

a

BobC

Too funny, Skidoo!

In all fairness, the machine is not entirely happy, but history has shown that within a few months I’ll reload for some reason, so if its running reasonably, pretending I don’t know about those errors isn’t a big deal.

A few years ago the standard video drivers were slow on fancy/fast nVidia boards, but I think that has improved a good bit.

BTW, this old thing does FLY like the wind. Its running on a 32 gb high speed SSD drive, and it just puts the pathetically slow MS garbage code to SHAME!

Today, for example, I had to search some text files for certain strings for my work, and was working from home, and it was a lot of files, not that big each, but 10,000 files. I could of had a nap while my Windoze 10 work machine (I5 with 16 gb) looked for a string, and 20 min later, it said not found. The bad news is that it was a string I had copied out of one of the files, so after all that time, it didn’t work right.

My old 2007 HP laptop with its fast $75 SSD drive, 4 gb and a stock AMD processor, probably 1/4 the speed, running AntiX 17, and using Midnight Commander to search the files, all free, extracted the zips off a flash drive and produced correct results as fast as I could hit enter.

Brian, no, to a lesser degree, even, I tried that before with my own tweaked version of SlackoPup, and it did work well initially, but as the months and years went by, I couldn’t get the newer versions to run on my machines, and the newer browser versions and such wouldn’t work right. So lesson learned, I’m no linux guru, and *IF* I REALLY want a feature or program badly, I’ll tweak it in, or figure out a workaround, but I need to limit that to things that I’m able to do and really need. I love playing on the machines, but this is the daily driver, not a Saturday night, just for grins roadracer toy. Like I said, lesson learned, a core install and buildup for fun maybe, but not on the daily driver…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.