Can I use Antix 16 on an old Ipaq computer?

Forum Forums Orphaned Posts antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” Can I use Antix 16 on an old Ipaq computer?

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Dec 25-7:53 pm by user2022.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sunny51

I have several old Compaq Ipaq computers.
      Most of them are Ipaq 1.2 which has a maximum of 128 mb of ram.

I have one Ipaq 2.0 which has a maximum of 256 mb of ram.
      These are Pentium 3 computers.

I do not think I can run newer versions of antiX on them.
      What is the latest version of antiX that will run on them?

I would appreciate any advise.

I already know I can probably install Q4OS but I would prefer to install antiX.

• This topic was modified 5 months ago by sunny51.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

antiX 16 is Debian Jessie. Support ended 2020. So not sure how one will update them. Repos are off line.
        antiX 17 is Debian Stretch. Same problem.

So concentrate on Bullseye releases if wanting a current version.
        Like 21 on up. That way.

sudo apt update && sudo at dist-upgrade

Will work. On EOL versions. That command won’t return what it is supposed to. More than likely something to the affect. Error on repos string.
        There is one member who should reply who is the current expert on low spec antiX installs. I am not the right dude anymore to advise on this.

Howdy and Welcome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

marcelocripe

Hello Sunny51.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum. Even though you’ve been registered for 4 years, this is your first thread that I’ve been able to find.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Sunny51 wrote:

You didn’t say what you intend to do with these computers.
          Browsing the internet only in text mode with Link2 (I think) or in the Terminal.
          I know it should be possible to play some light games with 256 MB.
          The minimum would be 1 GB so you can have more usability nowadays.

Sunny51 wrote:

Try the official SysVinit antiX 23, if it doesn’t work, then try the 32-bit and 64-bit AntiX 23 Full Remaster ISO with Kernel 4.4.0-296.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/remasterizacao-do-antix-23-completo-de-32-e-64-bits-com-o-kernel-4-4-0-296/

Try the official SysVinit antiX 22, if it doesn’t work, then try the 32 and 64-bit AntiX 21 Full Remaster ISO with Kernel 4.4.0-296.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/remasterizacao-do-antix-21-completo-de-32-e-64-bits-com-o-kernel-4-4-0-296/

Try the official antiX 19, if it doesn’t work, then try the pseudo-antix-19 legacy bet3 ISO with Kernel 4.4.0-264.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-antix-on-computers-with-a-motherboard-with-sis-or-via-chipset/page/7/#post-62423

See the advertisements for the original ISOs.

marcelocripe
          (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, Sunny51.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum. Apesar de você ter estar registrado há 4 anos, este é o seu primeiro tópico que eu consegui encontrar.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.
          Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Sunny51 wrote:

Você não disse o que pretende fazer com estes computadores.
          Navegar na internet só se for no modo texto com o Link2 (eu acho) ou no Terminal.
          Eu sei que deve ser possível jogar alguns jogos leves com 256 MB.
          O mínimo seria 1 GB para você poder ter mais usabilidade nos dias atuais.

Sunny51 wrote:

Tente o antiX 23 oficial SysVinit, se não funcionar, então tente a ISO Remasterização do antiX 23 Full de 32 e 64 bits com o Kernel 4.4.0-296.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/remasterizacao-do-antix-23-completo-de-32-e-64-bits-com-o-kernel-4-4-0-296/

Tente o antiX 22 oficial SysVinit, se não funcionar, então tente a ISO Remasterização do antiX 21 Full de 32 e 64 bits com o Kernel 4.4.0-296.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/remasterizacao-do-antix-21-completo-de-32-e-64-bits-com-o-kernel-4-4-0-296/

Tente o antiX 19 oficial, se não funcionar, então tente a ISO pseudo-antix-19 legacy bet3 com Kernel 4.4.0-264.
          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-antix-on-computers-with-a-motherboard-with-sis-or-via-chipset/page/7/#post-62423

Veja nos anúncios das ISOs originais.

marcelocripe
          (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Robin

Technically spoken you can install antiX 16 still, just follow the hints given in the thread about antiX 17.5 : https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/most-of-the-17-5-repos-are-broken/ . You’d have to apply the steps described there analogously for antiX 16. (In the debian archive you’ll find the repos back of all debian versions starting from 1998 (debian 1 „Buzz”).

So not sure how one will update them. Repos are off line.

Yes, you can do this, just edit your apt config to point to the debian archive instead of the default debian repo, as described in the antiX 17.5 thread. Then you can simply update your system to the last state archived by debian using the default
            sudo apt update && sudo at dist-upgrade
            But I’m not sure whether there is something similar archived for the antiX repos below 17 so this might fail on 16.

But, as rokytnji already had stated: There will be no security updates of any kind, not for the programs you find in the archived repos, not for the kernel. As long you don’t connect this PC to the internet, an intranet or to your home network, this can be OK. (In industrial sector they are even still running machines with Windows NT 3.1, if deeply integrated in some production process in need of some specially tailored software not available for more recent OS, but they MUST be standalone, not connected to any network.

So it depends on your use case, whether you should consider giving this a try or not.

And then, I guess I’m not the expert rokytnji refers to, my 32 bit Pentium class single core processor devices start from 2 GB RAM. I have no experience running antiX on only 256 MB RAM. Maybe somebody else? Just wait for some more answers.

So concentrate on Bullseye releases if wanting a current version.
            Like 21 on up.

Surprisingly I found antiX 22 and 23 running way more smoothly on 32 bit than any antiX before (but this probably allegeable from the heavily improved free nouveau driver for the Nvidia graphics in my device). My finding: The newer the kernel, the better it works on these 20 years old dinosaurs. (I run 6.1 on the 32bit Pentium notebook; unfortunately there is no antiX 6.1 kernel in 32 bit repos, so just give the default 32 bit debian 6.1 kernel a try.)

Good luck
            Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Only thing I know about older gear. You better have patience.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

christophe

I have a Pentium 4 laptop with only 256 MB RAM. It used up available RAM at boot. Any additional programs use a small bit of swap.
                But that’s booting into X.
                (And using links2 browser in graphics mode – nothing heavier.)

If you use antiX core without X, it uses a lot less RAM.

So antiX core booted into a command line environment only should work with 128 MB of RAM – theoretically.

If at all possible, create a swap file or partition, either way.

I found with 256 mb ram, antiX core worked better than the other setups. I installed X myself, and it does work sufficiently well if you take care to only use ultra-light apps (like command-line apps) as much as possible.

I’ve never gone any lower (128 mb ram). Try it, and let us know how it goes…

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

christophe

Oh. And all this was using antiX 23.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

sunny51

Thanks for all the replies.
                    Yeah I know I will be limited in what I can do on the internet.
                    This is mainly just for fun.
                    I am still waiting for a transcend drive to put in one of the machines.
                    I knew about the Debian archive.
                    You have given me more to think about.

Thanks again.

blur13

My finding: The newer the kernel, the better it works on these 20 years old dinosaurs. (I run 6.1 on the 32bit Pentium notebook; unfortunately there is no antiX 6.1 kernel in 32 bit repos, so just give the default 32 bit debian 6.1 kernel a try.)

This is interesting, could you elaborate on this? In what ways do you notice improvements?

user2022

Hello!

Are you use this computers?
                        https://www.casa.co.nz/computers/Systems/Compaq/Ipaq/IPAQ-TR-Guide-186p.pdf
                        page 25 table 2-1
                        ->
                        Max amount supported system memory 256 for 1.2 and 512 for 2.0

Can you add more memory for your computers?
                        I think that 128 mb of ram is very-very small for modern linux 🙁
                        I try use linux on old pentium-3 with 384 mb of ram – it is not suit for heavy programs.
                        For example i used OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice and PaleMoon instead of FireFox

What programs are you planning to run?

Robin

In what ways do you notice improvements?

@blur13
                          As already said in my observations after installing on 32 bit, for example on booting and shutting down antiX 23 with the newer kernels I can see the boot and shutdown process, while with the older kernels on the same Live remaster “installation” all this is not accessible since the screen blacks out completely until desktop starts. Same when using Alt+F1, with older kernels I get a black screen instead of a login on terminal. The older kernels seem to chew on startup before coming up at all, while the newer ones boot straight to the desktop without delay. Another example is audio device support. Running on older kernels I had issues to get sound right, the features and channels of the soundchip were jumbled (but working). I guess some of the kernelmodules for some devices have been improved meanwhile, and these improvements were possibly not backported to older kernels. I guess with the new 6.1 kernel I even could use the bluetooth device builtin in this notebook, but have not tried yet on antiX 23, something which had failed always before. All in all it’s rather a general impression from what I’ve observed, small details I can’t recall precisely since I didn’t write down, just noticed from time to time: “oh, this (or that) works now finally. great.”

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

sunny51

Yes user 2033 those are the computers I am talking about.
                            I already have antiX 13 running on a Ipaq 1.2 but it is not usable on the internet.
                            I do not trust running newer versions beyond 17 on the Ipaq 1.0 and 1.2 because at one time I tried to update to antiX 19 on Ipaq 1.0 and the computer quit working.
                            I probably should have split this thread at the beginning because Ipaq 1 series and Ipaq 2 series are different computers.
                            The Ipaq 1.0 and 1.2 are flex atx motherboards and as has been stated have a maximum of 256mb of ram.
                            The Ipaq 2.0 has a proprietary Compaq motherboard and a maximum of 512 ram.
                            I have not got the Ipaq 2.0 to boot antiX linux yet.
                            I am waiting for the transcend drive.

It is now Christmas day.
                            I will come back to this thread after New Year.
                            Merry Christmas everyone.

user2022

Hello sunny51!

Merry Christmas!

> it is not usable on the internet

If you can run Antix 17, then there will be a good choice of browsers for the internet:
                              palemoon 32.5.x
                              basilisk 2023
                              seamonkey 2.53.x
                              epiphany/midory + webkit2gtk 2.30
                              firefox 102.x

it all work on pentium 3, but for 256 mb maybe better palemoon or basilisk

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.