Can Memsource Desktop Editor be used?

Forum Forums General Software Can Memsource Desktop Editor be used?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by KenzoG Dec 18-2:24 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KenzoG

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
    One of my employers is of the opinion that I ought to install the Memsource Desktop Editor – a translators CAT-tool.

Unfortunately, although the editor itself is 64-bit, the installer is 32-bit !!!
    See: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003484852

My rather new HP 64-bit desktop do NOT accept to run ANY 32-bit programs!
    However, the installer is intended for Ubuntu.
    Would it be possible to install on AntiX 17 Heather Hayes, without using the 32-bit installer??? How safe would that be?

Right now I don’t have time to have any system crash on my desktop – and it will crash if it just smells a 32-bit program!

Thank you in advance!

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Hmmm.

32bit version of Ubuntu 14.04 that is not supported by Memsource.
    Only 64bit versions are supported.

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Thread is kinda above my pay grade. Wait for others to reply. Debian and AntiX have a systemd conflict. Ubuntu and AntiX has a systemd conflict. Simplest thing to do?
    Maybe the guys at MX forum can package something up for you.

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=55

Mixing Ubuntu with AntiX. Unless it is teeny tiny program like the Ubuntu keyboard I used on my Touchscreen Atom Netbooks.
    I’d say don’t do it till you see what is in it.

MustA MISSED the 32 bit installer part. I am not all here yet.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

antiX LiveUSB would provide the perfect testbed, avoid tarnishing your permanent O/S installation.

I did not find a link to its source code.
    MX packagers won’t (can’t) assist unless it’s an opensource application with a permissive license.

If, after installing multiarch support to accommodate the 32-bit installer, and installing the application…
    …if it doesn’t launch, their instruction advise “download the ___.tar.gz and extract its content into your /lib directory”.

Sometimes Ubuntu (when playing with KDE) has installed libraries incompatible with libraries needed for Memsource Editor.
    The solution is to download these libraries (te-lib.tar.gz) and extract the files into the “lib” directory of the Memsource installation on Ubuntu.

Seems like its referring to a subdirectory under the installed application directory, a subdirectory literally named “lib”
    ( not the /lib directory which exists at the root of the filesystem )

FWIW, the filenames within the tar.gz file indicate Qt4 libraries, and an relatively old copy of the liblucene (search indexer) library.

Anonymous

One of my employers is of the opinion that I ought to install the Memsource Desktop Editor – a translators CAT-tool.
    My rather new HP 64-bit desktop do NOT accept to run ANY 32-bit programs!
    Right now I don’t have time to have any system crash on my desktop – and it will crash if it just smells a 32-bit program!

Me too. And … I never saw an 64-bit OS ever crashing because of a 32-bit app. Either it worked or it didn’t but, no crashes ever.

If you wanna be on “101 %” save side: Make an image with a help of Clonezilla, try if the installation works for you and if it really crashes, simply put the image back to HDD / SSD.
    It doesn’t cost you more then a couple of hours in the worst case. Then you know. Everything else is guessing since, nobody here knows that application and the only way to find out what does or doesn’t work, would be if somebody would try to install it. This is what you can easily do yourself too, without any risks (if you use Clonezilla).

Would it be possible to install on AntiX 17 Heather Hayes, without using the 32-bit installer???

Again, nobody can tell what all is possible or impossible under which circumstances and in which constellation.

Generally: There is no “magic” in installers. What an installer is doing with some .deb, .exe, .rpm … is actually nothing that you can’t do without (well, in 90+ % of the cases).
    What installer will do is, it will unpack the .deb archive, unpack it again, read it’s instructions and start copy & pasting as instructed. It’ll take file “x” and copy copy it to destination “a”, take file “y” and copy copy it to destination “b”, take file “z” and copy copy it to destination “c” and so on. During the process, it’ll also check for dependencies and it will “automagically” pull them in if necessary.

Now, sometimes a script installer.run is taking that job over and, it’s doing exactly the same as just described. With other words, there is no reason why you couldn’t do it “the manual way” and move the needed stuff to it’s destination on your own — if you know what to move where. That’s true for most of the cases.

Sometimes though, there will be some installer.run that’ll do a “little bit of magic” and do more then that: it’ll pull and setup some additional repositories and certificates, will manipulate your firewall and open the needed ports, “sniff” around your network to find another HW mac’s and IP’s, will temporary disable and re-enable services, or it will add some new services and auto-starts, or it will do some Kernel recompiling for you. That kind of stuff is pretty rare and it’s usually only then needed when installing some VBox additions, NVidia drivers, WiFi printers and such.

Sometimes, there are also some “self sustained” apps which are packaged in a certain form but, which work on any other system if unpacked an started manually.

FreeFileSync is one such case or XFCE Theme manager that I wanted to try recently. It’s packaged only for Ubuntu and it’s not in Debian repositories.

I uncompressed the “xfce-theme-manager_0.3.7-1~ppa+trusty0_amd64.deb” in “bin” subfolder inside my “home” folder, uncompressed “data.tar.xz” that was inside it, opened Terminal and started the binary from command line:

'/home/YOURNAME/bin/xfce-theme-manager_0.3.7-1~ppa+trusty0_amd64.deb/usr/bin/xfce-theme-manager'

That was all that was needed to get it up and running.

There’s no universal recipe.

One more idea would be — install in a virtual machine first and so you can see it quick and easy, if it works or not.
    It doesn’t cost anything else but a couple of hours of your life — or ours. 😉

(I doubt very much that this thing can beat Bing, Google & Yandex translators but, you never know. Somtimes it happens that a couple of “freaks” make something that gets bought by them if it really works.)

KenzoG

Thank you very much to everyone!

It is obviously MUCH more complicated than I feared.
    Only after the New Year might there be enough time to start a project of this magnitude…

Or, another option would be to simply refuse to install this desktop editor, and let them fire me if they absolutely feel like it 🙁

Thanks again!
    Kenzo

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by KenzoG.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.