Cannot login with the GUI

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Cannot login with the GUI

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 27-1:57 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sazu-bit

Pulled a liveboot of antix today and tried to install it with an encrypted hard-drive using the internal installer.

The password works and the device unlocks. However, when I get to the login screen, I can enter my username and password correctly and it will just kick me back to the error screen.

Ctrl+alt+F1 yields the following ‘Err’ in the dmesg.

EDAC pnd2: Failed to register device with error -22.
      /dev/mapper/luks-verylongstring: Can't open blockdev

The second line may be related.

On another note… the installer likes to seize my disk and not let it go for some reason. If the installer exits, I expect it to drop all connections with the partitions and if possible return the drive to its previous state… in my case… fully formatted ready for round 2. As it was I spent ages dancing around over-writing the partitions with zeros, creating a new partition table, un-mounting partitions that did not actually exist… and the occasional pkill where the installer hadn’t killed itself properly.

On more related concern before I forget. When I login via the CLI it says something about

No directory, logging in with HOME=/

At anyrate I just want to login… with the gui… halp?

edit: I’ve tried a fresh install, same result.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Sazu-bit.
      • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Sazu-bit.
      abc-nix

Boot into a live session and share your system info.
        inxi -Faz

The password works and the device unlocks. However, when I get to the login screen, I can enter my username and password correctly and it will just kick me back to the error screen.

Let me understand. When you boot into the installed system, the slimski login screen is shown (with its background, textboxes to fill in the info, the warning message about using F1 to switch desktops, etc), and you enter the username and password. Then, when you hit Enter, it doesn’t log in.

Did you create a /home partition when installing or is it part of the main root partition ‘/’? When you move to a console (Control+Alt+F2), can you log in with your username or only as root? If you can login with your username, check to see what partitions are mounted.

lsblk

I suspect your home partition isn’t being mounted. Check to see if there is any home in your /etc/fstab file
        grep home /etc/fstab

Sazu-bit

command not found for inxi. I think the only thing that’s working is dmesg as there are a good many things going wrong.

I did create a home partition (I could create…4? 1 for hibernation, 1 for boot, one for root and one for home…) however, I’ve formatted everything again. In the hopes that I can get it working with just the root partition.

Is there any way to verify that the install was successful? I see the progress bar moving, but I suspect something is not going as planned there.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Sazu-bit.
          Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Just make sure you answer all the questions first as the installer runs, it won’t finish loading files unless you do.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.