Cannot start Xwindows after changing monitor

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Cannot start Xwindows after changing monitor

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by oldman Aug 13-11:28 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oldman

After changing a monitor and removing a unused video card that was giving me problems, I cannot start Xwindows.
    As root user, startx gives the following:

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error

I cannot see a X in /usr/bin

If I edit /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file to show /usr/bin/X11

I get Permission denied.

Is there a less drastic way of correcting this, without re-installing xserver and xorg?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by oldman.
    VW

As root user, startx gives the following:

As root user you shouldn’t even be trying to run ‘startx’.

You run startx as a a normal user. Just to help you out:

The startx script is a front end to xinit that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System. It is often run with no arguments.

Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start a client in the same manner as xinit. The special argument “–” marks the end of client arguments and the beginning of server options. You may need to specify server options with startx to change the color depth, dots-per-inch, or a different server layout, as permitted by the Xorg server and xorg.conf.

To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called .xinitrc in the user’s home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory. If command line client options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit behavior. To determine the server to run, startx first looks for a file called .xserverrc in the user’s home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xserverrc in the xinit library directory. If command line server options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit behavior. Users rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file.

The system-wide xinitrc and xserverrc files are found in the /etc/X11/xinit directory.

H.T.H.

oldman

Thanks for the reply.
    I had hope that there was a command that would reconfigure the xwindow system.
    I have found other errors, so I am now re-installing the whole system.

VW

You could try dropping into a root terminal and using smxi.

Sgfxi is the script in smxi that deals with installing graphical drivers. As with smxi, it must be run out of X desktop. Logged as root, type: sgfxi

H.T.H.

oldman

I re-installed antix and faced the same problem.

After looking at other distros and even installing one in another partition, I came back to antix, then went on the Internet again and searched for answers.

The problem was, the video driver was not installed (Intel). So having installed the correct driver, I can now run xwindows and openbox window manager.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

The problem was, the video driver was not installed (Intel). So having installed the correct driver, I can now run xwindows and openbox window manager.

Glad you solved your problem.
    To help others.
    Which version of antiX are you using and which drivers did you need to install?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

oldman

anitiX 17.1 (64 bit)
    xserver-xorg-video-intel:amd64

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.