[solved] Can’t boot hard drive or live USB?

Forum Forums General Hardware [solved] Can’t boot hard drive or live USB?

• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 22-2:20 pm by kaye.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kaye

Hi Friends,

I have a desktop computer that’s a dual boot system (windows and antiX). I haven’t used it in months and now I can’t boot the hard drive. I didn’t know if the problem was the hard drive or the motherboard or something else, so I tried booting my antiX live USB. Can’t boot it as well.

If I try to boot the hard drive, I get a message that says something like insert a bootable device and press any key.

If I try to boot the antiX live USB, I get something like the attached file, please have a look.

thank you for your time!

• This topic was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by kaye.
    • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by kaye.
    • This topic was modified 5 months ago by christophe. Reason: op annotated solved in most recent post
    christophe
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

no attachment. can you copy & paste some of it?

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Does Bios see hard drive? Is cmos battery burnt out and can’t keep correct time in bios. It is a coin type battery. Google search your model of computer to find location. Youtube sometimes post something.

I just went through this on a old netbook. I found I needed to to leave on the battery charger all night before it would see the hard drive even.
    I know desktop has no battery power. But cmos battery can kill a computer. All older computers have cmos batteries. Even desktops.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Does Bios see hard drive?
    I just went through this on a old netbook.

Same here, on this desktop PC (and not specific to antiX).
    During every liveboot I must “F2” and in bios manually select the detected USB pendrive as the boot device.
    Even when only a bootable hard drive is present, sometimes the bios still requires visiting the “F2” setup to select it as the boot device.

kaye
    Helpful
    Up

Hi, sorry about the attachment, it failed to upload.

i think it’s uploaded now.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by kaye.
    Attachments:
    kaye
    Helpful
    Up

Does Bios see hard drive? .

I think so. It can see the antiX live USB too, but cannot boot either one.

I haven’t tried replacing the cmos battery.

(attachment on my last post shows the screen when I try to boot antiX live USB)

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

(from screenshot)
    websearch: DSSP namespace lookup failure AE_NOT_FOUND
    ^—v
    something related to a mismatched ACPI setting?
    (mismatched NOW, after sitting unused, because CMOS battery has failed and now default BIOS settings are in effect?)

The following page from websearch results suggests a bootline parameter which might be helpful for your situation:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/524202/acpi-error-message-ae-not-found-why-is-this-happening-now-it-did-not-happen-pr

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Are we sure the antiX USB is not booting? It seems to be trying to boot but failing with error messages.

How do you get into the BIOS? You said you “think” it sees the HD but that it does see the USB. Can you give us a picture of your BIOS screen? What type of machine? Brand, Model, CPU, Memory, etc.

You should definitely change the CMOS battery. Some systems just don’t behave without it. Some systems can be booted with a dead CMOS battery by just setting the BIOS correctly.

You should also try re-seating the power connectors, SATA cables, USB headers, and memory chips. Carefully. If you are not familiar with the insides of the machine then read up first.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by seaken64.
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Plus screen shows lot’s of failures. Makes me wonder if a md5sum check was done before making the live boot .

How was live usb/dvd/cd made comes into question also.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

kaye
    Helpful
    Up

Hi friends, I’m not at the desktop right now but for the meantime:

The antiX live USB is fine, I can boot it in another desktop computer. Nothing wrong with it.

The problematic desktop computer has the following specs:

Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: MSI model: H81M-P33 (MS-7817) v: 1.0 serial: N/A
               BIOS: American Megatrends v: V1.9 date: 03/30/2015
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4130 (-MT-MCP-) speed/max: 1012/3400 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
               drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell
               version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
               driver: r8169
               Card-2: ASUSTek USB-N53 802.11abgn Network Adapter [Ralink RT3572]
               driver: rt2800usb
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1046.7GB (3.1% used)

I will try and change the cmos battery and let you know.

kaye
    Helpful
    Up

You guys are right. It’s the CMOS battery. Problem solved. thank you very much!

kaye
    Helpful
    Up

Hi I’m the OP. I removed the [SOLVED] label from the title because the problem seems to be back.

Here’s what I may have ruled out as the possible culprit:

1. Hard drive, because antiX live USB can’t boot as well.

2. CMOS battery, because the battery is new, and I even replaced it with a newer battery, same result.

3. RAM, switched to another one, same result.

4. RAM slot, switched to the other slot, same result.

5. Plugged hard drive cable to another socket on the motherboard, same result.

HOWEVER, I am typing this now using the problematic desktop computer. I am able to log into both antiX and windows 10. I am currently not experiencing any problems with antiX besides having to unplug the wifi usb adapter and plug it again to connect to wifi when I log into antiX; in other words if I log into antiX, the system does not automatically detect the usb wifi adapter and hence no wifi connection. I have to unplug and plug again. Other than that, everything seems fine.

In windows 10 though, after logging in, I plugged my flash drive and the system sort of crashed. I can move the mouse around but other operations seems very slow or unresponsive.

No graphics card is installed.

If it matters, here’s more info:

Kernel: 4.9.200-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 
      Desktop: IceWM 1.6.3+git20191202 
      Distro: antiX-19.1_x64-full Marielle Franco 23 December 2019 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: MSI model: H81M-P33 (MS-7817) v: 1.0 
      serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1.9 date: 03/30/2015 
    CPU:
      Dual Core: Intel Core i3-4130 type: MT MCP speed: 3400 MHz 
      min/max: 800/3400 MHz 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics 
      driver: i915 v: kernel 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 
    Network:
      Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
      driver: r8169 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 974.85 GiB used: 92.90 GiB (9.5%) 

Have I narrowed it down to the motherboard as the culprit?

Thank you for your time.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by kaye.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by kaye.
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Kaye, did you manualy set time and date correctly ?. Then do dist upgrade.

Switching RAM slot can stop boot on some boards. If the system runs just keep it on for a couple of days.
    Take a careful look at capacitors on the board around power supply connector.
    You may have dried or bulged caps in the power supply. As it seems you are not familiar with repairs try another PSU.

The voltages inside that unit are high.
    Discharging capacitors in that unit in to you body would very likely be the end of your life.
    Any person experienced in TUBE TV repair may help you if a replacement PSU is not available.

dead boards are mostly due defective caps or corrosion occurring during storage.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

If I get this problem on a previously working PC I remove all plugged-in items such as keyboard mouse screen memory and cards and clean the edge connectors with Arklone-P, and fit a new coin battery for the bios, Then switch on and enter Bios settings to check where it’s booting from and in what sequence. If this fails you will probably have a component failed. Some older mainboards have a jumper to reset the bios settings to default, if so use it.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi kaye,
    did you reset the bios after changing the battery, method is described in handbook. easy to find in net.
    Then as roland suggested go through bios settings to check boot order.
    If your bios is not 1.4 you might like to update it. that is last version.

Having to re plug the wifi stick is at least with my two adapters normal, to me anyway. The OS does not detect
    it without that.

If as it seems the system is running ok now with antiX the board is unlikely to be defective.
    You might still have defective PSU Capacitors which can cause weird effects due unstable voltages.
    Substitute PSU is best. As pointed out PSU repair is dangerous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.