Can’t find source of unplugdrive

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Can’t find source of unplugdrive

• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 10-5:23 am by Robin.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Version update to unplugdrive 0.83

Bugfixes:
    — true rotational devices do spin down now when user is told it is safe to unplug.
    — speeded up waiting time for write cache sync with device. Turned out on heavy system load the check misses sometimes the moment system reports cache is written, causing our script to wait forever… Fix speeds up waiting time for this noticeably.

Side effects: As a consequence of this bugfix the default behaviour of unplugdrive had to be changed. Since we simply can’t tell users it is safe to unplug their rotational device while it is still spinning, the default has to take this into account. If user decides on his own not to use safe settings, he can use options.
    So the option -s or –safe-mode is deprecated now, since safe mode is to be default now.

Instead we see two new options now:
    -u – -unsafe which restores the unsafe behaviour known as default from former versions.
    -i – -ignore doesn’t care of rotationals, even in default mode. This is meant to deal with some unreliable manufacturers, fooling us reporting to system their device was rotational even if this is not true. In case manufacturer have implemented this correctly (completely), the wrong report is acceptable, since these devices do actually react to spindown command with the correct answer (telling “yes, we are spun down” in no time) so everything works fine. But some manufacturers don’t care neither of correct reporting nor of responding to spindown command at all. Which causes system to wait useless 30 seconds for a response which never happens to come. Only in these special cases user may speed up things a little by using -i, knowing what he’s doing.

Translations:
    Some few new strings for this version are waiting for translation on transifex antiX contribs.

No need to copy strings 1:1 from ”Pirate English” to true English (en). Only If you want to make improvements to my doggerel original strings, please “translate” the string(s) in question to true English (en), leaving all the fine ones blank. If you want to have different flavours of English please feel free to add strings in en_GB, en_US and other English language flavours.

Now most of the strings are featured with developers notes and string instructions.

Download:
    Program script file of unplugdrive ver. 0.83 on gitlab for download.
    Unplugdrive Version 0.83 Language template file (.pot) on gitlab for download.
    Unplugdrive 0.83 German language file (.mo) on gitlab for download.

Bug reporting:
    As always: Please test this on any kind of plugable storage devices and please report any bugs here. I have myself done testing alredy with all pluggable devices within my reach.
    If no problems show up, I’ll file a merge request for this version to anticapitalista next week.

Bear in mind, the wellknown “can’t-unmount-when-mountpoint-contains-blank-character” bug isn’t fixed yet in this version. So there is no need to report about this. Bugfix for this will come in next version.

Have fun with it
    Kind regards
    Robin

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

unless Jimmy had chosen the “toram” liveboot option, the boot device should be filtered from the list, eh?
    (I didn’t test. Would umount recognize the boot device as “busy” and refuse to unmount it?)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/footgun

footgun (plural footguns)

(programming slang, humorous, derogatory)
    Any feature whose addition to a product results in the user shooting themselves in the foot.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Good morning skidoo (or hello, since I don’t know which daytime is in your place)

many thanks for your bug report. I know about this specific problem and have worked on it already. (I never have tried what actually happens if clicking OK in the dialog on your screenshot… since it was obvious to me live medium can only get removed under the condition you described.) But I was also aware of the fact, not all users might see the interdependence, so it is a good idea to prevent them from unplugging their live antiX boot medium. (We really don’t want to footgun antiX users)

I believe I have found a way to filter these devices from the list presented to user. But this took some major rewriting of the code (which deserves a bit cleanup anyway, all these different lists in use are a thorn in my side, this is legacy still from original script), and the new code is not ready for use by now. My new method filters devices which are storage source file systems of mounted filesystem images from being presented to user for unmounting, displaying them separately as not unmountable for this reason.

So this will get fixed in one of the next versions also.

So long and many thanks for testing!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.