Can’t get past new Robot Challenge screen when trying to login

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Can’t get past new Robot Challenge screen when trying to login

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Oct 19-3:02 am by seaken64.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    seaken64

I recently updated my old Pentium-III to antiX-23-Full 32-bit. Works great so far. But when I went to sign in to this forum on both SeaMonkey and Palemoon I can’t get past a screen that says Robot Challenge Screen. I’m assuming it’s some sort of filter to make sure I am the user I am trying to login as. But I don’t think it works on this 32-bit system.

Is this a 32-bit issue? Or is there some way around this robot challenge?

I am logged in now using my current Windows 11 laptop and it does not have any troubles logging in.

I read many titles and tried a search but so far I haven’t found anyone else bringing up this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Seaken

seaken64

I tried to use Firefox ESR to login. I did not get the same Robot Challenge screen hanging me up. But FF ESR is excruciatingly slow on this old kit. I would like to login to the forum using either SeaMonkey or Palemoon.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

Seaken

madibi

chromium is very light compared to FF and moreover has all the functionality
          m

sybok

That’s interesting.
            I connected from Central Europe today and I saw no such robot-challenge screen (antiX-19.2_x64-full, upgraded to bookworm-based, FF-ESR 115.3.0).
            Perhaps, the robot challenge is introduced by some WordPress plugin if there is “bad” traffic your region.
            I would try to analyze the robot challenge (which website is it related to etc.) and adjust antiX ad-blocker and|or FF add-ons or (temporarily) turn-off them off.
            E.g. using JShelter add-on messes up a similar web-shield and I have to turn the add-on temporarily in order to be able to pass it.

Also, if this is related to 32-bit, you could try (if you trust it) add-on changing|switching user-agent string to pretend the browser to be a 64-bit.

Regarding the browser’s choice, I would search the interweb for lightweight browsers, find a list and simply try some of those available in antiX.
            E.g. https://www.alphr.com/lightest-web-browsers/ lists ‘qutebrowser’ installable in my 64-bit antiX.

PPC

I noticed this very same problem on my antix 21/22 on my 32bits laptop – I used Seamonkey to initially log in to the Forum for the first time without any problem. After I closed the browser and re-tried to access the Froum, it gets stuck in the “robot page”. Firefox-esr, on that same device can access the forum without problems.

Note: Seamonkey does work in a different way than Firefox – when I log in to a page that has credentials stored, it displays the login page already prefilled… Firefox just logs me in. Maybe this difference triggers the robot page in the new Forum Server?

P.

Forum Admin
              Dave

Maybe try to copy the user agent string from Firefox to SeaMonkey in case the regular one from SeaMonkey is not recognized

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

seaken64

OK, thanks for the ideas. I will try these suggestions and let you know how it goes.

As for choosing a browser, that has long been decided. My preferred browser on antiX 32-bit has been SeaMonkey for quite some time. (If you search on my username you will find lot’s of stuff I have written on the subject). I have dabbled with Otter also. Sometimes Palemoon non-sse. But SeaMonkey has always performed best for me. I am hopeful this is not a SeaMonkey issue and I can get past this quirk. If it does turn out to be a SeaMonkey incompatibility then I may decide to tweak FF ESR for better performance. I’ve not had to do that so far since SeaMonkey has worked fine. But I know things change and SeaMonkey is already not supporting CPU’s that don’t have the latest SSE, like my P-III. I use version 2.49.x and do not let it upgrade to the latest version. Up until now this has worked for me. But maybe now the latest Debian (Bookworm) won’t allow me to do this. I’ll keep at it, as I mentioned, and let you know what I end up with.

Seaken

Brian Masinick

Maybe try to copy the user agent string from Firefox to SeaMonkey in case the regular one from SeaMonkey is not recognized

Dave, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing; in fact, I often set the user agent strings in both SeaMonkey and Palemoon to match those of the Firefox release, and in that way, some of the Webmail clients, especially Yahoo Mail, then behave in a consistent manner; this will, more than likely, apply to the antiX Forum too.

Another really good option is to grab either Ungoogled Chromium or LibreWolf. For the lightest possible full featured browser with decent security, minus the numerous callbacks to Google, Mozilla, or others, Ungoogled Chromium is a great Chrome alternative. LibreWolf is just as full-featured as Firefox, so you have a heavy image, but it ALSO functions extremely well; I recommend both of them; they trail their “parents” by 2-5 days any time there is an update; that’s not bad, and the payoff is improved privacy.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@seaken64 glad to see you back! As I stated above, I’ve had success with both SeaMonkey and Palemoon by matching their user agent strings; let us know if you need any additional details on the specifics; I’d have to look them up, but unless I haven’t updated them on my latest system, I should already have the settings in place. As I also mentioned, Ungoogled Chromium works REALLY well, and unlike it’s parent Google Chrome or even the so-called “free” alternative, Chromium, Ungoogled Chromium strips out all of the trackers, and amazing, but not surprising, it’s smaller and faster! That may be worth a look; if it IS, try out https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-portablelinux – they have a choice of building from source OR obtaining either an AppImage or alternative build methods; there is also a Clickit site but it lacks the checksums so use it with those risks identified or stick with the linked site above; at least there are possible alternatives; I’ve found Ungoogled Chromium to be a positive experience and I’m using Version 118.0.5993.70 (Official Build, ungoogled-chromium) (64-bit), which I believe matches the development release; development or not, I’ve found it to be the most efficient browser, yet I don’t constantly run into issues with it; for routine everyday use, including forum and Webmail, it’s ideal, not too heavy and quite current.

--
                      Brian Masinick

seaken64

Thanks @Brian Masnick, I will check out Ungoogled Chrome. Will that run in 32-bit? I know Chromium stopped working on my P-III. Also Otter and Epiphany don’t work on my P-III. Something to do with SSE2 support.

I haven’t tried the ideas posted here yet, but I will get back to that machine. What I did today was install antiX-23-Full on a Dell Dimension 3000 with a Celeron (P4 class) in 32-bit. I wanted to see if I had the same troubles on a Pentium 4 that supports SSE2 and SSE3.

I did get the Robot Challenge Screen. But this time I got further to a page that said “we think you may be a robot” and prompted me to input from a Captcha puzzle. When I entered the correct puzzle it let me in and I was logged in.

On my P-III without SSE2 I never got to that second screen. It just hangs on the first Robot Challenge Screen and never gets to the next screen where it says it thinks I’m a robot. I’m never able to enter the Captcha puzzle.

So, maybe it is an SSE2 thing. The Pentium 4 machine works. The Pentium III does not.

I’ll keep experimenting and let you know what happens.

Seaken

Brian Masinick

Unfortunately I believe that Chrome and Chromium based products are limited to 64-bit systems.

Double check in case I am mistaken.

--
                          Brian Masinick

seaken64

Interestingly, I went back to antiX-21 on the P-III and tried to login using SeaMonkey. This time I got the second screen of the Robot Challenge and was able to input the Captcha puzzle and I was logged in.

So, it does not seem to be directly related to SeaMonkey itself. There must be something about antiX-23 that is a little different and SeaMonkey is not handling the forum’s Robot Challenge pages correctly in that distro version.

Just more info as I try different ideas. I will now go back to antiX-23 on this P-III and try the suggestions given earlier in the thread.

Seaken

seaken64

Ok, I’m in to the forum on antiX-23. It appears it was a WordPress glitch. Before I tried changing the user agent string I decided to try it one more time. This time I got the second screen and was able to input the Captcha puzzle and I was logged in. It now worked!

So, false alarm. SeaMonkey is now getting past the Robot Challenge screens in antiX-23.

Thank you all again for the suggestions.

Seaken

seaken64

I also went back to Pale Moon non-sse and it is also now working. So, whatever it was that was preventing me from seeing that second screen is now working. The problem was not specific to the browsers.

Seaken

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.