Change boot screen

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Change boot screen

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Nov 30-7:25 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    Before I start I would just like to say this is an amazing OS.

I have never fiddled this sort of thing before but I was wondering if it were possible to do any of these things:

No output at startup/shutdown
      Image at startup/shutdown – maybe GIF??
      Progress bar at startup/shutdown

I have started editing the grub and noticed a difference when I changed it:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet/splash/vga=current/loglevel=3/gfxmode=text"

As I said I have never done this so please make it simple.
    Thanks so much.

re “No output at startup/shutdown”
    Have you tried using “quiet” (and omit “splash”)?
    Someone can probably better assist if you further describe the preferred result.

startup image
    If this page doesn’t provide satisfactory instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays
    try a websearch ~~ “grub change boot image”

Any smoothly animated progressbar displayed during boot would be “simulated”, would be just decorative eye candy. There are only 8 or so checkpoint steps during boot where the progress indicator would be updated. The completion of each step is currently represented by a “dot” during the antiX boot.

Hi,
    Thanks for replying. Yes I have tried quiet but what do you mean by dots. I got these when I installed but now I don’t, I thought that was just part of the install process.

The progress dots (instead of scrolling lines of output) are displayed during boot when the “splasht” bootline option is used. Possibly this is a liveboot-only feature.

In the above boot screen is there any chance to edit the top line, such as just saying ‘antiX 19’?

The following will serve as a rough howto. It’s not intended as a complete spoonfed solution, and presumes you’re modifying a liveboot (not an already-installed-to-disk) system.

Before you begin editing, read to learn about the options available for unpacking and repacking the initrd file
    unpack-initrd -h

Launch a root-permissioned terminal emulator and issue this command to extract the contents of the initrd file:
    unpack-initrd

Identify occurrences of that ‘Franco’ test string within the unpacked files
    cd initrd
    grep -nr Franco
    and edit each of the found occurrences, replacing it with your preferred alternative superhero name (or none)

After you have finished editing,
    re-read to remind you about the compression options available for repacking the initrd file
    unpack-initrd -h

Additionally find/edit occurrences of the ‘Franco’ string within other files residing on the boot media:
    cd /live/boot-dev
    grep -nr Franco

After repacking the initrd, during a subsequent boot session I would also check whether additional edits are necessary (because I cannot recall which are hardcoded vs dynamically generated):
    cd /etc
    sudo grep -nr -Franco

forewarning:
    Replacing the “antiX 19” string can (almost certainly will, but I can’t recite an exact example offhand) lead to unexpected consequences when you run various utility programs. Some of the antiX//MX co-developed utilities sniff the release info details to determine if|then|else conditional operations (e.g. MX ships lightDM, antiX ships SLiM. Which config file needs to be read//written?)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

In the above boot screen is there any chance to edit the top line, such as just saying ‘antiX 19’?

Edit this line in the live initrd.gz – /etc/initrd-release
    PRETTY_NAME=”antiX 19 (Marielle Franco)”

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Edit this line in the live initrd.gz – /etc/initrd-release
    PRETTY_NAME=”antiX 19 (Marielle Franco)”

Thank you anti and skidoo for these solutions! Greatly appreciated…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.