Changing file manager causes desktop icons to disappear …

Forum Forums General Software Changing file manager causes desktop icons to disappear …

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 11-4:39 pm by PPC.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

Recently, I had some issues with pcmanfm on an Asus laptop (see signature below), i.e. pcmanfm stopped showing attached devices under ‘Places’ in the lefthand pane of the pcmanfm window, for some unknown reason. To remedy this I installed spacefm, as an alternative file manager, and it appears light & straightforward to use. However, having setup spacefm, and using apt remove –purge to get rid of pcmanfm, all my desktop icons disappear on reboot. However, this is reversible, if I reinstall pcmanfm (desktop icons reappear).

At first, I thought the problem might be that the gvfs family of apps was deleted, when I removed pcmanfm. However, the command dpkg –list, showed that this was not the case and that the following five gvfs apps were still installed:

gvfs:amd64
      gvfs-common
      gvfs-daemons
      gvfs-libs:amd64
      gvfs-fuse

Does anyone know how I can remove pcmanfm, without having the desktop icons disappear from view, or is pcmanfm so tightly bound to LXDE that the two are inseparable?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

christophe

Spacefm & zzzfm (forks of pcmanfm) can manage the desktop. So pcmanfm must be doing that for you.
        If you don’t want to fiddle with the settings of spacefm to create the same setup as before, I’d just keep pcmanfm installed, which you said keeps your desktop settings. But keep spacefm as your default file manager (for files management). A small price to pay in disk space (probably) if you don’t want to mess about with settings. ????

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

mikey777

@christophe
          Yes, you’re right, life’s too short to fiddle around with settings for such as small issue. Like you say, better just to keep pcmanfm installed in the background there, to keep things running smoothly.

Curiously, in the antiX19 install on my Samsung netbook (see sig. below), pcmanfm continues to run smoothly. Both machines have been updated at the same time – in fact the antix19 setups are identical, but the problem only shows itself on the Asus…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by mikey777.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by mikey777.

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
          - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
          - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

PPC

@mikey777 -the only downside up keeping pcmanfm running to manage desktop icons is that it uses some system resources…
            Also, I’ve been creating a script that configures zzzfm (available out of the box in antiX 21 and instalable under antiX 19) to look more mainstream, even more feature rich and easy to use- adding a Trash Can, the usual bookmarks, adding icons to toggle between compact/details, etc. Probably the only thing you may miss from pcmanfm is video thumbnails, all the rest is available, and running extremely light… That script is available in it’s forum thread, if you want to test it, and will soon be included in Ft10 transformation pack.

P.

mikey777

@PPC
              Thanks for your comments. I’ve just had a look at spacefm & zzzfm, alongside each other for comparison.
              What’s the difference? As far as I can see they look identical, but then I’m probably not very discerning in these areas!

PPC

Spacefm was forked from pcmanfm, and zzzfm was forked from spacefm, by our forum user and resident guru, Skidoo. Since spacefm seems to no longer be under active development, Skidoo took the matter into his own hands and solved a couple of bugs, and also made it much more lighter on system resources. It was also localized by the antiX community, so, if you use zzzfm in a language other than English, odds are that it will be very well translated.
                Lightness, and security is the main reason why some not very used or useful features were removed from zzz. It does not show thumbnails for video images (but does show image thumbnails) and, if I’m not mistaken, it does not work with extensions. That’s why I started writing a script to customize zzz, the mail goal was adding a Trash can- which no file manager that comes with antiX has. Since I was already hacking away at zzz’s config file, I ended up changing lots of defaults, hoping to make it more user friendly (users can do almost everything without having to use a menu). Right now I’m polishing the final parts of the script- that hopefully will had a “Recent files” icon to the bookmarks and also a way to view a thumbnail for a selected video file, and also set a wallpaper from a selected image file.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by PPC.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.