Chrome OS

Forum Forums General Other Distros Chrome OS

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 30-2:11 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Chrome OS, to be completely accurate, is not a “distro” (distribution), but Chrome OS does have a Linux component to it because Chrome OS is a commercial operating system created by Google that utilizes a heavily modified Linux kernel.

I’ve been using Chrome devices since before their “official” release midway through the year in 2011 because I applied for, and was given, a prototype CR-48 Chromebook, which I received in December 2010. The prototype was a relatively small (around 11″ if I remember correctly) unit with a low end processor, but it had a solid construction and actually was pleasant to use.

A few years ago now my wife, a retired high school counselor, was able to get a hold of another promotional deal, this time from Lenovo. They were selling Lenovo Chromebook model N22 for a really modest price; I think it was under $200 at the time – maybe $169, though I can’t remember for sure. We still have both of the units, but we are getting rid of one of them this week because the left side of the unit has a crack in it that makes it challenging to open and the keys are hard to read because several of the most used keys have their letter or number worn to the point where you can only see the key name on half of the keys. The other unit wasn’t used nearly as much, so we’re keeping it and my wife will use it most of the time.

I found a great deal that Acer had a week ago; the price has gone up twice in the past two weeks as the holidays approach, but I got an Acer Chromebook 715 for $349 plus tax and it arrived yesterday.

This is now my fastest computer, faster than my Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop, which has a 5th generation Intel Core i7 5500U processor. The Chromebook that I got has an 8th generation Core i3 M1 8100U processor.

I haven’t set up the Linux emulation yet- Chrome OS has a Linux package you can get at the Play Store that allows you to run Linux apps – I think it uses a “container” approach; I’ll find out if I get curious about using it. In the meantime, this is a pretty good Linux option; it doesn’t have the typical distro interface but what it does have runs very well on this hardware.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

My Xmass present from the wife. HP 14″ 2-in-1 Touch Teal Chromebook
    HPModel: 14a-na0090wm, She paid 179 bucks.

Still learning this one since new < flip screen and touch screen > . It is screaming fast.

My Acer C710 Chromebook is still a dedicated 64bit AntiX Full iso system. Battery is still good and packs on the motorcycle good. Syncs OK with my Samsung Phone.
    It is screaming fast also. Been a forum supporter for ages. I don’t plan on retiring it soon.

I don’t dual boot anymore. I have enough hardware to make that mode of operation moot in my use ca-sage. I did a dual boot on the acer c710
    https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/disk-format
    Till the drive died and I used another scrap ssd drive for antix only and changed the bios from default to .https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/

Sure simplified the bios choice keys.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I think that the 710 is similar to mine except I have the 15″ model.

The price was right. A year ago they came out with a starting price close to $500 but the price came down to $329. I missed that sale but caught mine @ @349.
    Beats paying double that for the Pixelbook Go, though that’s a nice model too.

I’m pleased with the 715 right now.

Brian Masinick

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

I picked up a pre used Toshiba Chromebook to try out, couldn’t get on with ChromeOS, so flashed the BIOS & put AntiX on it, super fast start up for internet surfing, but don’t use it for much else.

I’m now into using Raspberry Pi 400 as my main desktop, (had been using a RPi4B/4GB), even using RaspiOS Desktop version; it’s kind of like using Fluxbox on a regular Linux computer, a lightweight straight forward OS.

(Just wish there was an AntiX version for these little ARM processor machines.) 😉

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Yes that would be nice. I may experiment with the Linux tools available on Android and Chrome in the software “Play Store”. It’s all free.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.