chromebook: brightnewss up/down keys remapping

Forum Forums General Software chromebook: brightnewss up/down keys remapping

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 29-2:20 am by Xecure.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

already flashed firmeware of acer c720 chromebook, took some time to configure Antix 19, work very well, but the keyboard of chromebook is different from regular PC/laptop, so follow below to remap function keys, all functions keys remapped except “brightness” up and “brightness down”.

http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/projects/remap-keyboard-keys-for-ubuntu/

No idea how to do next, your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Santiago,

In Control Centre, on the Hardware tab, there is a button for Backlight Brightness, that will open a window to adjust brightness.

Will that work for you? If not, maybe you could program it in the keys file. backlight-brightness –help will show you the commands.

I’ve never needed to do that myself. It always just works on my laptops using the normal keys for that laptop.

$ backlight-brightness --help
    Usage: backlight-brightness [options] [step-value]
    Interactively adjust the brightness of the backlight from within a terminal.

Step value:

+10   increase brightness by 10 percent
       -17   decrease brightness by 17 percent

Options:
      -c --color <scheme>  Set color scheme.  Valid schemes:
                               high, dark, low, low2, bw
      -g --get             Print out the current brightness percentage then exit
      -h --help            Show this usage
      -p --pause           Pause and wait for <Enter> after an error
      -s --set   <value>   Set the brightness percentage to <value> then exit

So you could try lowering and raising it in a terminal

backlight-brightness -25
    backlight-brightness +25

If that works, you could reprogram a key in the keys file to run that command or put an icon on your toolbar to do it

PS: in the picture, the black man window on the right side is for a similar but different command, so please ignore that

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by BobC. Reason: i goofed, the default program in antiX is backlight-brightness
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by BobC.
    Attachments:
    XecureXecure

A very quick search in the forum would have brought you to a previous answer I gave to someone wanting the exact same thing.

If you have already configured the FN key as indicated in the link you posted, and you are using IceWM:

For the increase/decrease brightness, add this piece of code to your keys file (I am assuming IceWM, with the file located in ~/.icewm/keys)

###Set brightness
    key "XF86MonBrightnessDown" backlight-brightness -10
    key "XF86MonBrightnessUp" backlight-brightness +10

Save, restart IceWM session and see if it works.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.