[SOLVED] CLI-APT-based Package Manager

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders [SOLVED] CLI-APT-based Package Manager

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 23-5:22 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    maybl8

First time using this package.
      It looks like it would allow me to install the held back packages.
      That seems like a dangerous thing to do.
      Why does this Installer allow me to do this?
      I can show packages if you need that info.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by maybl8.
      stevesr0

I had never used this app. It is different from both the package installer tool and from the “regular” apt commands.

Comparing the results of running /usr/local/cli-aptiX with regular command line

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

It DOES offer to upgrade packages which apt is holding back on my Sid system.

I would recommend you NOT use the CLI-apt tool. Stick with the Package Installer or the “regular” apt update, upgrade and full-upgrade commands as previously suggested in other threads.

If there is anyone who is a user of CLI-APT-based Package Manager, they might offer some additional comments.

Brian Masinick

I used the time tested apt-get and I do not use && between arguments. I used ; between the commands. If they fail or I break a system I have each release flash drive and at least a couple of snapshot images.

Not concerned because of this.

--
          Brian Masinick

RJP

CLI-apt tool is very useful if you have installed antiX core, which does not include graphical environment until you have installed it.

Xaver

@ Brian Masinick

Why do you prefer the operator “;” instead of “&&”?

“;” -> the second command is run as soon as the first command is finished, no matter if with success or not.
              “&&” –> The first command has to be finished successfully in order to run the second command.

If I run an upgrade, I prefer to know, that the update did work.

Brian Masinick

&& only proceeds to the next step if the previous step completed with a successful return code.

Sometimes the package manager has warnings but still updates the cache. I just use ;
                That way the upgrade can proceed.

Suppose it’s actually broken? Then neither the update or the upgrade works.
                I watch the messages so I know the difference. That’s one important reason for using the command based updates. Once you get familiar with the messages you know which ones are errors and which ones are simply information or warnings about something that should be fixed but doesn’t impact package upgrades.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

It’s OK to use either && or;
                  Now you know why I use ;
                  I prefer it to attempt the change regardless of the status and allow me to decide further action as needed. I do understand the messages and I’m capable of adjusting, even backing out changes.

I’m also quite willing to mess up my systems.
                  I can reinstall everything, no problem.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Xaver

Thank you Brian.

I am cautious not to mess up my system.
                    antX-sid is my main productive system and is running reliable since 7 years.

My internet was terribly slow then. By using sid I could avoid new system installs, which took days.
                    To run ‘apt full-upgrade -d’ over night was my workaround to the slow connection.
                    Now with a glass fibre connection I am prepared to switch to a stable system.
                    But as long as sid is running like a charme – why should I change it?

Therefore I shall stick with “&&”.
                    So in your scenario I would get the same result, if I run just apt full-upgrade again.

Brian Masinick

The most cautious way of all is to run one command, observe the status,
                      and ONLY run the next command if and only if the initial command works
                      properly; otherwise, wait for a fix (or fix what’s wrong), then rerun
                      the first command, check, when successful, run the second command.

There are also different “schools of thought” on whether it is “better”
                      or preferred to use sudo to run individual commands requiring privileges
                      or to switch to the root user and run updates there.

For those who recognize the default # prompt for the root account, this
                      is good, but another school of thought says it is better and safer
                      to not even allow root logins; I say do whatever is comfortable to you;
                      when you know how to properly manage your system, it’s fine.

I’d never leave my system ALONE while the root user is logged in or a
                      sudo command is running, I’ll tell you that; to me, that is opening up
                      the potential for unwanted and unwelcome use of your system!

--
                      Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.