CLI to GUI

Tagged: 

• This topic has 39 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 21-6:57 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone!
    I recently installed antiX, my first ever Linux OS. I first installed the x64 full and was really enjoying the GUI. However the computer I want to run antiX on was too old (20+ year old eMachines) to run the x64. I reinstalled, this time with antiX 19.3 386 full. I was pleased to see the system post and boot into antiX. However, I am stuck in the CLI. Now I’m what could only be described as a super-noob when it comes to Linux. After a good 12 hours at this I’m asking for help.

How do I go from the CLI to the GUI? Is a GUI even possible with the 386 version?

If possible I assume it’s a straightforward command but I have not been able to find anything.

Hi and welcome, LLAP28.
    Yes, a GUI is possible in antiX 32bits version- assuming you choose to install an ISO that provides a GUI (like the Full version- please check if you downloaded the correct ISO).
    There may be many problems that are causing this – you can try booting in “save video mode” (or some equivalent of that expression).
    If you are really using an antiX ISO that provides GUI, your video card it’s probably too old to work with the default antiX ISO’s- please try to download the costume ISO that the user Xecure was kind enough to provide, in the thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-antix-on-computers-with-a-motherboard-with-sis-or-via-chipset/
    It may work in your old system!

EDIT:
    … But it’s weird that the 64 bits version worked out of the box, and the 32 bits version does not… Check if the 32bits ISO is not corrupted…

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.

Thanks for the prompt response and excellent info! I can confirm it is the full 386 ISO I downloaded and installed. I should clarify, I got the x64 version running on a more modern pc before installing the drive in the target computer.

I will definitely take a closer look at the provided link and see what I can do. You mentioned “save video mode”, what is that and how can I access it?
    The target PC is an eMachines 533id Etower so I think it’s highly likely I’m having graphics card issues as I believe I’m working with integrated Intel graphics from 1999.

XecureXecure

Am I understanding this correctly and you installed antiX on a HDD using a different machine than the intended old machine? And then you connect the HDD to said old machine, and when booting it doesn’t boot to a GUI?
    The problem of installing any Operating System on a machine and then connecting the HDD to a different machine is that the OS is configured for that specific machine (graphic card, connected drives, input devices, etc.). Sometimes, doing what you did should work but, as with Windows, drivers may be missing (and may be incompatible with the older machine).

As the machine you mention is so old, maybe you need to use a previous version of antiX for it to work graphically. Is there any way to load a DVD (or do you have any available)?
    For now, boot to the old machine, log in in the terminal with your user account, and run this command.
    inxi -Fxz
    and use Shift+”Page up” and Shift+”Page down” keyboard keys to scroll in the terminal.
    We need Machine information (product, make and model, BIOS year, etc.), CPU information (model and bits mainly), Graphics information (as much as you can see there, but mainly videocard, card driver and xorg driver) and in the Info section (at the end), Total available memory.

You can also save this information in a file inside your computer (for later extracting it and access its contents on your other computer).
    inxi -Fxz > oldmachine.specs
    This will save the old machine technical information inside a file named oldmachine.specs in your home (user) folder. If you prefer this method, copy its contents and paste it here.

skidooskidoo

the 64 bits version worked out of the box, and the 32 bits version does not

The 32bit release ships a kernel version different from that seen in the 64bit release, right?

Yes you are understanding the procedure correctly. I did this because the old system currently has no OS on it and would not boot from a USB. It has a disk drive so I suppose I can try burning the ISO to a DVD and trying the install that way. Regarding computer specs, I ran inxi -Fxz and have attached the results in the images below. Thank you for the tip on “shift+ PG-UP/Down”!
    I’m not going to speculate because again, Super-Noob, but I did notice in the graphics section driver: none and driver: NA.
    Edit/Addition: I’m only hoping to use this computer as a txt file server. When I first got it 20 years ago it had a sticker “Never Obsolete” an absurd and ridiculous claim but I’m trying to follow through for it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by LLAP28.

searched the forum here for “intel 82810” (click up above Forum >> Search Forum)

One guy got it to work, not pretty, but that would be a good start…

XecureXecure

Before you try to launch from DVD (be it the official antiX 19.3 i386 or my modified antix-legacy beta2, see if this works:
    1. Log in with your user.
    2. Run this command:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    write your password and a terminal-based text editor will appear. Write this into it:

Section "Device"   
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "TearFree"     "true"
    EndSection

(all this was taken by caprea’s answer in the topic mentioned by BobC).
    Save the file with Control+O and close with Control+X.
    Reboot and see if something changed. If it still boots to a terminal, see if at least the video driver changed with:
    inxi -Gx

I ran the commands provided and it booted into the terminal. My display monitored did briefly flash before loading into the terminal which it had not done before. I then ran the inxi -Gx command and got the results listed in the picture below.

Attachments:
    XecureXecure

See what happens when you do
    startx

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure.

Entered startx and got the following:

XecureXecure

It seems that it wont boot, be it because of the xorg (the “graphical server”) version or something else (like some machine specific configuration) that was left behind by your other computer.

You can still use it as a terminal based server, but if you have time and want to experiment, you could try a DVD with the ISO I built aimed at older systems that have lost some of the graphical support (antiX19-legacy-beta2).
    (Try different booting options if normal boot doesn’t work)

By the way, a total memory of 176 MB RAM is pushing the limits. You may be able to get a graphical environment working, but don’t expect much of the system. You can forget browsing the web with firefox, but editing text should work properly.

Interesting to see only 176MB of RAM as the system is supposed to have 512MB. I’ll give the DVD install a try and report back.
    My end goal is to run something like droopy from the system for backup doc storage.
    One quick note, thank you all for your help thus far, you have made the Linux world seem far less daunting and I truly appreciate how willing everyone has been to assist.

Ok everyone, I am attempting one final thing before I punt and install on a somewhat newer computer. As the computer does not recognize USBs to boot from nor did I have any success with the CD/DVD drives, I am attempting to install from another internal SSD. I have gotten as far as the the computer recognizing the boot ssd and booting from the install ssd. However, when I get to the install menu and proceed, it states “Fatal Error, NO USB or CD devices found”. Is there a way to install AntiX from the internal SSD or is a USB, CD/DVD mandatory? Do please let me know if I should create a new thread for this inquiry and thank you all again for your help thus far.

XecureXecure

Can you reach the antiX boot menu when booting from a DVD? You can try connecting both the DVD and the USB. The BIOS should let you boot from the CD/DVD drive. If it later cannot continue boot from the DVD (you should at least be able to reach the antiX boot menu), add (or select from the F4 options boot menu) the parameter from=usb to boot from the USB (it is a trick that has worked for many, the only condition is that both the USB and DVD must have the same antiX ISO or at least the same kernel).
    Or, you can try booting from the SSD, reach the antiX boot menu, and use the same boot parameter from=usb,cd to try to force the boot from the those devices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.