CLI to GUI

Tagged: 

• This topic has 39 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 21-6:57 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

I was unable to reach the boot menu from a DVD/CD. I was able to reach the boot menu when I put the AntiX installation on an ssd and physically installed it internally. But when I try to proceed, it throws the error about not have a USB or CD. Is it possible to install AntiX from one internal SSD to another?

christophechristophe

Take a look at this thread. It may be what you’re looking for:

[SOLVED] Way to boot from ISO on hard drive, then install to the same drive?

Excellent! Thank you for this. I was able to get the install going with Xecure’s “Boot from USB” method and select the target drive etc. I got to the point asking where to install GRUB and selected the default MBR instead of ROOT. This was easily 2.5 hours ago and it’s still installing. Not sure what to do at this point. I was able to connect to internet during install of AntiX and added packages and GUI so I’m cautiously optimistic this will finally give me GUI capability but don’t know if selecting MBR for GRUB was the right choice as it’s been installing for so long. Have still yet to see a GUI, only CLI.

christophechristophe

MBR is right, since you will only have antiX on the computer. (The main/only OS bootloader needs to be on the MBR.)

Keeping my virtual fingers crossed! 😉

Is there any way of knowing if it’s still installing or if it’s failed? I know the computer is a dino but I didn’t expect the GRUB install to take this long, especially given how much faster AntiX installed.

christophechristophe

2.5 hours since it said installing grub?

christophechristophe

I think that’s too long.

I saw what Xecure saw: 176 MB RAM on the computer. You said it had 512 MB. Maybe some parts are failing…

I just copied this from antixlinux.com:

antiX should run on most computers, ranging from 192MB old PII systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes.

antiX-core and antiX-net will run with 128MB RAM plus swap, but don’t expect miracles!

192MB RAM is the recommended minimum for antiX. 256MB RAM and above is preferred especially for antiX-full.

So if there is only 176 MB RAM & no swap, that may be why it’s hung…

Upon closer inspection today it’s a 128MB with a 64MB expansion stick. I too thought something was failing but I was just incorrect initially.

christophechristophe

For base or full versions, I’m thinking you need swap — if it will work at all. It’s below the minimum, according to the official requirements.

antiX should run on most computers, ranging from 192MB old PII systems with pre-configured 128MB swap

But it never hurts to try!

If you do continue, I recommend creating a swap file.

Check out this article, if you need help with that:

https://www.howtogeek.com/455981/how-to-create-a-swap-file-on-linux/

(I’ve rarely had to do that sort of thing, but the step-by-step at the end of the article looks right.)

And keep us updated. Many of us here find it very enjoyable to read about this sort of thing. And we love to help, where we can.

Thank you christophe for the helpful info on creating a swap file. I have a rather exciting development to share! I was able to boot the installation drive into the GUI! A combination of using F4 to force the USB boot and using the AntiX19 Legacy Beta got me a GUI and installation has begun from the desktop! I’ll share some pictures below. Some thoughts, good god this old computer is slow. Now I expected it to be bad but wow, at least a full minute before mouse input is received. Currently installing and at “20% Copying New System”. I will definitely keep everyone posted and again thank you all for your patience and willingness to help with this unique project. On a side note, I’ll likely be installing AntiX on another older system in the future after this project to use as a media (photo) server. Although I don’t anticipate any issues there as I was running Win 7 on it up until about a week ago.

christophechristophe

Nice!! 🙂

Well here it is! Functioning AntiX on an eMachines from 1999 with a 533mHz Intel Celeron CPU and 178MB of usable RAM. Actually not totally horrific to use after the install was finalized and then booted from the installed internal SSD. Another big thank you to all of you again, I always hoped but never thought this computer, my family’s first ever personal computer desktop, would be able to run a modern OS of any kind. Now that it’s up and running, any file server app recommendations other than Droopy?

skidooskidoo

ftp//sftp, or via http, or cifs//samba?

vsftpd (it might even be preinstalled) https://wiki.debian.org/vsftpd
    setup tutorial posted here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/ftp-for-new-antix-user/

also available, preinstalled:
    cd /dir/i/want/to/serve/from && python -m SimpleHTTPServer port_number

or

busybox httpd -p 127.0.0.1:8080 -h /dir/i/want/to/serve/from
    (check “busybox httpd –help”. This commandstring might not be correct)

XecureXecure

Well done! You have given a new breath of life to a 22 year old computer!
    When you have time, please share with us the
    inxi -Fxz
    output so we can see what has changed (mainly the xorg drivers) between the first installation and this one.
    I see that text is very small even with dpi=96. Maybe we can improve the graphic output with a different xorg driver (or maybe it cannot change that much), but this doesn’t really matter for what you intend to use the machine.

The first hurdle is over. Now the Linux exploration begins!

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

@LLAP28: Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your experience with our community and best wishes always!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.