Close lid – laptop hangs

Forum Forums General Hardware Close lid – laptop hangs

• This topic has 24 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 18-9:35 am by dortega.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dortega
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

UPDATE:
    I have tried different kernels
    4.9.212 (first installed)
    5.8.16 (latest)
    On all the kernels the problem was the same. Except on 4.9.240 -the system hanged but the mouse pointer was not present on blank screen.
    I didn’t however try different acpi-support settings on each one. But I did log the acpi-listen each time – it didn’t register the lid button on any kernel.

Thank you for writing about different kernels. I didn’t know how they differ.
    After short testing each one I found 5.8.16 (latest) ran the best.

I think I will mechanically remove the lid button because I sometimes want the lid closed while the system is running.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dortega.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for reporting back. Even if there is no solution right now, at least you found a better kernel for you system, so time wasn’t entirely wasted.

Regards.

dortega
    Helpful
    Up

New findings:
    If I suspend the laptop using the menus and close the lid during suspend it wakes up by itself when the lid button is depressed. So the lid button DOES play some part in the suspend process.
    Once the laptop wakes from suspend in this way the lid button doesn’t hang the system anymore. I can press the button and the screen just blinks and comes back BUT this causes the mouse cursor to disappear.  
    This happens in
    antiX 19.3.
    Kernel 4.9.235

I think it didn’t work this way in 19.2.. As I remember in 19.2. when I tested this the lid button caused the system to hang even after suspend.

So the problem goes away after manual suspend – but I loose the mouse cursor.
    How can I get the cursor back in this case?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Based on some recent troubleshooting, there is a file
    /etc/elogind/logind.conf
    Where you can modify the lid switch functionality
    HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    to remove the functionality, but there are more options there, which would need to be explored. This is something new for me, so I know close to nothing about elogind.

Is it only the cursor that disappears (right-click bring the menu up)? Or is it that the mouse functionality is completely gone? It could be related to
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suspension-of-the-system-and-blocking-of-peripherals/
    where the mouse stopped working after waking up, because the correct mouse module didn’t load after suspending (and probably a different driver tried to take control of the mouse).

If it is only the cursor disappearing, using the Mouse Configuration to increase the cursor size (even if just a little bit) may help avoid this from happening in the future.

dortega
    Helpful
    Up

Based on some recent troubleshooting, there is a file
    /etc/elogind/logind.conf
    Where you can modify the lid switch functionality
    HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    to remove the functionality, but there are more options there, which would need to be explored. This is something new for me, so I know close to nothing about elogind.

This looked promising. It doesn’t solve the problem ..after extensive testing. I tried other options
    also

#HandleSuspendKey=ignore
    #HandleHibernateKey=ignore
    #HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    #HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore
    #LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no

Is it only the cursor that disappears (right-click bring the menu up)? Or is it that the mouse functionality is completely gone? It could be related to
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suspension-of-the-system-and-blocking-of-peripherals/
    where the mouse stopped working after waking up, because the correct mouse module didn’t load after suspending (and probably a different driver tried to take control of the mouse).

If it is only the cursor disappearing, using the Mouse Configuration to increase the cursor size (even if just a little bit) may help avoid this from happening in the future.

This works! I changed the mouse cursor size to 11 and the cursor doesn’t disappear.

ohh
    Helpful
    Up
    #HandleSuspendKey=ignore
    #HandleHibernateKey=ignore
    #HandleLidSwitch=ignore
    #HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore
    #LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no

Maybe a stupid question, but you did uncomment the above as in:

LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no

sometimes the little things slip by me, so always good to have another pair of eyes.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by ohh. Reason: clarification

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

dortega
    Helpful
    Up

Not stupid.. you were right. I left the lines as comments :). Since all the lines in the file are comments I didn’t even realize it.

This got my hopes up again.. but after trying again properly it still doesn’t work. 🙁 The system still hangs on close lid.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Hello, and sorry for reporting this so late. I have actually forgotten about it.

BUT this causes the mouse cursor to disappear.

I have had experienced exactly the same problem while using nouveau driver in antix 17.4.1 which is one of the reasons I had to drop this driver and use original but proprietary NVidia driver (which keeps me from upgrading to 19er series.) But there have been more issues with the nouveau driver. After replacing nouveau everything worked fine since.

Well, maybe I can give some hint anyway, a method which worked for me as kind of workaround: Even if mouse pointer was not visible, one could get main menu by klicking right mouse button somewhere. When very carefully moving the mouse down blindly you would be able to toggle its focus to one of the menue entries — and right after clicking it the program (e.g. “terminal”) would open, which brings mouse pointer back to visibility immediately every single time.

Hope this is of some help still.
    Greetings
    Robin.

pepitofer
    Helpful
    Up

Here they have a different approach:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/389603/how-to-ignore-lid-switch-action
    there is also a link on this page to https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2021 that give some more useful information.

It might help

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by pepitofer. Reason: spelling error
    dortega
    Helpful
    Up

Well, maybe I can give some hint anyway, a method which worked for me as kind of workaround: Even if mouse pointer was not visible, one could get main menu by klicking right mouse button somewhere. When very carefully moving the mouse down blindly you would be able to toggle its focus to one of the menue entries — and right after clicking it the program (e.g. “terminal”) would open, which brings mouse pointer back to visibility immediately every single time.

Hope this is of some help still.
    Greetings
    Robin.

Thanks for this!

Here they have a different approach:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/389603/how-to-ignore-lid-switch-action
    there is also a link on this page to https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2021 that give some more useful information.

It might help

I followed the procedure. LID is present in /proc/acpi/wakeup as PNP0C0D:00 for me also. I created /etc/rc.local but it doesn’t start at boot. I also tried what the comment below said ..I created /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service and tried to start this service. But systemctl command is not working ..tried ‘service rc-local start’ but got “rc-local is unrecognized service”

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.