[SOLVED] Command line prompt change upon establishing connection

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” [SOLVED] Command line prompt change upon establishing connection

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Feb 9-1:33 am by dr-kart.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Antix 19 (both 64bit and 32bit)

I’m having pretty much the same issue like here https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/command-line-prompt-has-changed-484523/
    After getting connected – system becomes unusable. (and yes, my command line prompt had changed after ‘@’ symbol).
    So I can’t run any program from menu. It doesn’t work. The only workaround here is to restart environment (ctrl+alt+backspace).

Funny thing is that it’s not the case with another older router connection.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by dr-kart. Reason: Solved
    syboksybok

I know that the prompt is controlled by variable “PS1” which can be re-set e.g. in your ~/.bashrc file.
    My advice is
    1) Run the following command in a terminal
    echo $PS1
    2) Find where the PS1 is set/configured, usual suspects are ~/.bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc and try to modify it in your ~/.bashrc file (do not modify the one in /etc/).
    A guide on how to do it can be found here

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh, now I have realized the PS1 is the least problem. 🙁

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by sybok. Reason: suggestion in 2) improved
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by sybok. Reason: Fix typo in 2)
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by sybok.

…now I have realized the PS1 is the least problem

yup.
    Neither antix 17 nor current MX19 have such weird issue. So I have to put newer router aside. And stick with older one.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by dr-kart.
    capreacaprea

But how is that related? If MX19 doesn’t have the issue it’s not buster related.

it’s not buster related

it’s not. I believe.

capreacaprea

I first thought it was nonsense to consider connman as the problem trigger, but maybe it is not.
    Would you mind trying to edit as root the etc/connman/main.conf
    and change the line # AllowHostnameUpdates = true
    to
    AllowHostnameUpdates = false

like here under Tips and Tricks
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConnMan

…edit as root the etc/connman/main.conf
    and change the line # AllowHostnameUpdates = true
    to
    AllowHostnameUpdates = false

like here under Tips and Tricks
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConnMan

Solved. Thank you very much!

Taken from link above:

By default, ConnMan changes the transient hostname on a per network basis. This can create problems with X authority: If ConnMan changes your hostname to something else than the one used to generate the xauth magic cookie, then it will become impossible to create new window

Just in addition.
    dr-cart, did you explicitly specify your hostname while installation? And if so, was it different from “localhost”? It seems that if you had specified your hostname explicitly while installation, you would not have to change AllowHostnameUpdates (which is “true” by default). As for me, I specified my hostname from the start, and I didn’t have this problem arosen with any routers.

@AR I did specify my hostname during installation. The issue depends on router. As I can see.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.