Commands in .profile seem to be ignored

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Commands in .profile seem to be ignored

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jan 6-10:58 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mowest
    mowest

Perhaps this is by design, but maybe I’ve encountered a bug.

I’m a vim user and so I like to swap the function of my Caps_Lock and Esc keys. This is easy to do with the command “setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape”. This command works as expected when I run it in the terminal, but I would like to to do this automatically when I start Antix 17.3.1 from Persistence All on a Live USB.

I have “setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape” command in my ~/.profile. In Ubuntu based distros this command get run when I log into a session once because it is in the .profile. This does not seem to happen when I log into Antix. I know that Persistence All is working because all of my additional apps are installed, and my .vimrc file is kept and works as expected as well. So I know that Persistence root and home are functioning as expected.

Any thoughts on why this isn’t working to have the command in ~/.profile?
    Is there a better way I could run this command that would work in Antix 17.3.1?

Thanks for your help.

skidoo

Bash-Startup-Files.html

Possibly you added that line near the top of ~/.profile, earlier than the PATH declaration line. If so, full path may be necessary
    /full/path/to/setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape

caprea
    caprea

You could also try to write the above command in the startup-file in the hidden desktop-session folder in home.Maybe with the full path, like skidoo mentioned.

mowest
    mowest

I put the command at the end of ~/.profile, however, that was a good suggestion skidoo, so I tried it, but it still doesn’t work. At the end of ~/.profile I put:
    /usr/bin/setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape

It still fails to execute the command and make the change. After adding the full path as above, I tried restarting the session, and even rebooting hoping that it would be triggered, but nothing.

Caprea, I’m a little unsure of what you are suggesting so I didn’t give that a try. Are you suggesting that I write a bash script called “swap.sh” with just that command in the script file and put it into my ~/bin folder and then put “~/bin/swap.sh” into my ~/.profile file? I could try that if that is what you mean.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by mowest.
    caprea
    caprea

Are you suggesting that I write a bash script called “swap.sh”……

No, my thoughts were much less complicated
    Open control-centre, go to session
    then open “desktop session of user”
    this will open geany and the startup-file
    There you can write in the
    /usr/bin/setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape &
    command
    Close and save, logout/in or reboot.

skidoo

results of a quick websearch “session setxkbmap” indicate adding that line into ~/.xinitrc should be effective

masinick
    masinick

results of a quick websearch “session setxkbmap” indicate adding that line into ~/.xinitrc should be effective

That makes good sense since it is a keyboard mapping that activates with the X server, therefore initialize it in the X init file, a.k.a. .xinitrc.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

I don’t think .xinitrc is used and as such caprea’s suggestion would be the correct replacement file.

I am thinking that perhaps bash is not being loaded when a terminal is opened… this would be visible by the user prompt not being colourful and showing the path. You can verify if this is the case by typing “bash” as the first command in terminal and see if it makes a difference. If it does then /bin/bash likely needs to be specified in /etc/passwd as the user shell.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

masinick
    masinick

I don’t think .xinitrc is used and as such caprea’s suggestion would be the correct replacement file.

I am thinking that perhaps bash is not being loaded when a terminal is opened… this would be visible by the user prompt not being colourful and showing the path. You can verify if this is the case by typing “bash” as the first command in terminal and see if it makes a difference. If it does then /bin/bash likely needs to be specified in /etc/passwd as the user shell.

If that is the case, you may also be able to add commands to .bashrc

If so make sure they run only in the interactive invocation of the Bash resource file .bashrc.

Otherwise non-interactive scripts could be adversely impacted.

Brian Masinick

skidoo

~/.desktop-session/startup
    insert the line
    /usr/bin/setxkbmap -option caps:swapescape &

Save the edited file and logout. When you login, test whether setxkbmap is now autostarted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.