conky interferes with fluxbox background setting

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” conky interferes with fluxbox background setting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by dirkd Nov 10-2:10 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dirkd
    dirkd

I set up fluxbox so as to change the background automatically when changing workspaces. That makes the workspace immediately recognizable. In Antix15 this worked perfectly.

In Antix17:

When conky runs in his own window, there is a noticeable delay (1 second or more) before the background of the conky windows shows the new background of the desktop.

When conky draws its information directly on the desktop, changing the background stutters in a strange way. First the new wallpaper is shown, without a conky area. Then the old wallpaper is shown again, with conky’s information on it. Then the new wallpaper pops up a second time, with conky on it and is stable from then on.

When conky is off, the wallpaper changes instantly, without stutter, on changing to a new workspace.

At first I thought it was related to using x64 Antix17, but experiments show the same behaviour in 32bit Antix and also in Antix16 (32 and 64 bit versions).

I am fully aware that I am a lucky man if this kind of problem is the only thing I have to worry about. I even have a workaround: I wrote a small script that switches off conky, then changes the wallpaper in relation to the active workspace, then switches conky on again. This removes the stutter. Still I wonder what has changed since Antix 15.

#! /bin/bash

conkytoggle.sh
    feh --bg-fill /mnt/media/Wallpaper/antix17-bg-$(xprop -root _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP | awk '{print $3}').jpg
    conkytoggle.sh
    male
    male

I have no idea which .conkyrc you use…

skidoo

what has changed since Antix 15

Neither fluxbox nor the conky program experienced version upgrades between the time antiX15 and antiX17 was released, right?
    Here you can browse the incremental changes to default .conkyrc History for desktop-defaults-core/skel/.conkyrc

https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki/FAQ
    re-reading this leads me to suggest diff’ing your earlier vs current .conkyrc, specifically check whether one (and not the other) contains
    own_window_hints=’below’
    and / or
    double_buffer = true

Vaguely, I can recall that some nuisance detail about conky led me to set own_window=true. Still a nuisance when I sometimes accidentally right-click its window instead of an empty spot in the root window, which results in failure of that click to open the expected desktop menu… but apparently that was “the lesser evil” compared to how conky behaved when own_window=false.

Another thing to check (diff): the presence, and the content of ~/.fluxbox/apps file on your 15//17 systems.
    On my system, a rule in that file specifies layer=bottom for conky windows (don’t recall if that rule was set by default, or I added a custom rule)

In any case, if your script watches for workspace change events, it should be able to just call fbsetbg or fbsetroot, without disturbing (stopping/restarting) the conky process. Manpages exist for both fbsetbg and fbsetroot, and here’s a workspace watcher script which is likely suitable: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=657

dirkd
    dirkd

I’m afraid I’m in deeper trouble now, and that could mean that all comparisons between my Antix15 and Antix17 setups are futile for the moment.

I experienced strange hangups with firefox and spacefm, and (sometimes) long waiting times at startup and shutdown (Startup: while configuring wlan0, shutdown: when unmounting some partitions). Then I found a folder /var/lib/systemd….

Does that mean I have broken my installation? If so, all comparisons with my older Antix15 are useless…

If systemd is present, can I recover? Or do I have to re-install?

I suspect Google to be the culprit. I installed the chromebrowser from a downloaded .deb package. Only later did I notice Chrome is also present in the Antix Package Installer. Is that safe? I kind of need Chrome to view protected video content from our national TV-network. Also, there is the question of Google Music Manager. Is that software also dangerous to install from Google’s .deb-packages? That program is the sole reason that I wanted to upgrade in the first place. If I can’t install it in Antix, I might as well stick with my Antix15 environment, which – for all other purposes – is fully satisfactory.

And since I mentioned the protected video content: in firefox I get a message that the Widevine plugin crashes. I had hoped that Antix17 would have remedied this situation, bun alas… Chrome on the other hand has no problems with video.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Start over < re-install >. Check and Use the antixcc>system>Package installer 1st before downloading and installing systemd .deb packages from the internet.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do. Master of none.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Just because you found a folder named /var/lib/systemd you conclude you have systemd?
    Use apt to search what you have installed with the term systemd.
    Also pstree -a should show you your init and supervising processes.

# apt search systemd | grep installed
    . . .
    . .
    prevent-systemd/testing,testing,now 1 all [installed]
    systemd-must-die/testing,testing,now 1 all [installed]
    # ls -altr /var/lib/systemd 
    /var/lib/systemd:
    total 16K
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Jul 21 18:50 catalog/
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4.0K Jul 21 18:52 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 34 root root 4.0K Sep 23 11:34 ../
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4.0K Nov  6 03:56 deb-systemd-helper-enabled/

I don’t have systemd installed

dirkd
    dirkd

Pardon my ignorance. I was only asking the question. And thank you for answering btw. I did as you suggested:

$ sudo apt search systemd | grep installed

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

init-system-helpers/testing,testing,now 1.55 all [installed]
    libsystemd0/testing,now 239-11 amd64 [installed,automatic]

And I have some difficulty in interpreting the output. A also executed the pstree command:

$ pstree -a 
    init  
      ├─acpid
      ├─at-spi-bus-laun
      │   ├─dbus-daemon --config-file=/usr/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf--nofork
      │   └─3*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
      ├─at-spi2-registr --use-gnome-session
      │   └─2*[{at-spi2-registr}]
      ├─avahi-daemon
      │   └─avahi-daemon
      ├─bluetoothd
      ├─conky
      │   └─6*[{conky}]
      ├─console-kit-dae --no-daemon
      │   └─64*[{console-kit-dae}]
      ├─cron
      ├─cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf -s /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
      ├─dbus-daemon --system
      ├─dbus-daemon --syslog-only --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
      ├─dbus-launch --autolaunch dc2fc17289de87991f9f4b5e5b295b42 --binary-syntax ...
      ├─devmon /usr/bin/devmon --exec-on-drive desktop-defaults-run -fm "%d" ...
      │   └─udevil --monitor
      ├─dhclient -4 -v -pf /run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf ...
      ├─fbxkb
      ├─gconfd-2
      ├─getty --noclear 38400 tty1
      ├─getty 38400 tty2
      ├─getty 38400 tty3
      ├─getty 38400 tty4
      ├─getty 38400 tty5
      ├─getty 38400 tty6
      ├─gksu -u dd /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr   
      │   └─firefox-esr
      │       ├─Web Content -greomni /usr/lib/firefox-esr/omni.ja -appomni/usr/
      │       │   └─22*[{Web Content}]
      │       └─45*[{firefox-esr}]
      ├─gksu -u dd lxterminal  
      │   └─lxterminal
      │       ├─bash
      │       │   └─pstree -a
      │       └─{lxterminal}
      ├─gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t exps2
      ├─ifplugd -i eth0 -q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdc3 /mnt/media -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdc5 /mnt/data -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdc6 /mnt/apps -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /mnt/archief -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sys/Windows -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sys/Sata2 -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /mnt/sys/BBD -o rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users
      ├─nmbd -D
      ├─polkitd --no-debug
      │   └─2*[{polkitd}]
      ├─rox --top=PANEL
      ├─rpc.idmapd
      ├─rpc.statd
      ├─rpcbind -w
      ├─rsyslogd
      │   └─3*[{rsyslogd}]
      ├─slim -d
      │   ├─Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/slim.auth vt07
      │   │   └─2*[{Xorg}]
      │   └─desktop-session /usr/local/bin/desktop-session
      │       └─fluxbox
      ├─smbd -D
      │   ├─cleanupd -D
      │   ├─lpqd -D
      │   └─smbd-notifyd -D
      ├─sshd
      ├─udevd --daemon
      ├─urxvt +sb -tr -sh 100 -name DTterminal -fade 50 -e mocp
      │   ├─mocp
      │   │   └─mocp
      │   │       └─2*[{mocp}]
      │   └─urxvt +sb -tr -sh 100 -name DTterminal -fade 50 -e mocp
      ├─urxvt +sb -tr -sh 100 -name DTterminal -fade 50
      │   ├─bash
      │   └─urxvt +sb -tr -sh 100 -name DTterminal -fade 50
      ├─volumeicon
      └─wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /run/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid -i wlan0 -D nl80211,wext -C/r

And again, I lack sufficient background to learn much from this.

That said, I no longer think systemd is the problem (Skidoo reassured me about that). But I think I’ll start over anyway. Booting takes more than two minutes in stead of 30 seconds (keeps waiting while initializing my USB Wifi dongle).

Shutting down is even more problematical: after ‘stopping crypto disks’ (what is that supposed to mean?) I get timeouts on my /dev/sdc disk (with ntfs filesystems). The disk is not cleanly unmounted and diskerrors are introduced. Also takes many minutes to complete the shutdown. I even had to boot in Windows (the horror!) to repair the disks…

Is there a way to capture the shutdown system messages in a log file? I would like to show these to someone more knowledgeable.

dirkd
    dirkd

I started all over again with Antix17.2 (x64). Clean install from the .iso, without installing or changing anything, except for some trivial configuration (number of desktops, some fluxbox settings, etc.). I noticed the same annoying flicker in the conky background upon changing wallpaper. This behaviour was absent in Antix15, and I think this is the reason why.

In Antix15, the installed conky package was conky-std, while in Antix17 it is conky-legacy. After installing conky-std, conky-legacy is automatically removed, and the flicker goes away. Conky-std is missing a few features. There’s also conky-std-all, which has all features enabled. In the complete version changing wallpapers is somewhat less smooth, but still nearly invisible on my system. This is in contrast with conky-legacy, which goes back and forth between the two wallpapers, when setting the background with fluxbox.

There may be a reason why conky-legacy was chosen as the standard in Antix. I guess I will find out. But for the moment everything runs smooth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.