conky only available on first workspace

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-16 “Berta Cáceres” conky only available on first workspace

Tagged: 

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by afghan Aug 7-10:36 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    roland
    roland

this problem has been posted for previous releases.

Conky only shows up on workspace number 1, unless you manually run it on the others.
    But I have noticed that on the 32-bit code it appears on all, as intended. It’s only
    the 64-bit code that’s afftected.

I’m on 16.3 on all my PCs and laptops. Any comments please? Is there a fix?

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Hmmmmm. I am on my AntiX 15 laptop and conky holds on all desktops.
    Looks like I’ll have to search forum archives.

Archive

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=conky+all+desktops+site%3Aantixlinux.com%2Fforum-archive%2F&ia=web

If you are wondering how I got that link. I used the forum tab on l/h side of toolbar on this site and picked old forum from the slection offered.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

male
    male

write “sticky” in the line of the conkyrc

own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky

Male is the capital of the Maldives and its wonderful people.

skidoo

^—- TODO: that (sticky) should be to added to the default .conkyrc for the next antiX release.
    Also, IIRC, one of variable/keyword names (“..,below,..”?) seen in the current default .conkyrc is deprecated, needs to be replaced with the newer name

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

We need to steal some more pro active linux users I guess.
    😆

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

male
    male

TODO: that (sticky) should be to added to the default .conkyrc for the next antiX release.

that doesn’t have to be

Also, IIRC, one of variable/keyword names (“..,below,..”?) seen in the current default .conkyrc is deprecated, needs to be replaced with the newer name

Where’s that written?

skidoo

that doesn’t have to be

“shoud be” != “must be”
    (besides, I rechecked after posting & discovered that’s already in place within the shipped default)

Where’s that written?

(after I sift through my notes, I’ll followup to mention which keyword is deprecated)

edited to add:
    https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/blob/79321355f5925e9c3021741e9f407a5a9cf365b0/NEWS

on_bottom was removed back in v1.4.3 (instead, use: own_window_hints)

#on_bottom no

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by skidoo.
    male
    male

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, you misunderstand something…
    `* Removed configuration item:
    – on_bottom: please use ‘own_window_hints below’ instead.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by male.

skidoo

compared my notes against the original. It was commit dated 2014..4.3 (not version)

Fortunately, I didn’t misunderstand. Replacing that deprecated keyword solved a problem that I had been troubleshooting.
    I landed on that reference while investigating why conky was being hidden when I invoked fluxbox “ShowDesktop” command.
    Presence of on_bottom in the options line (or passed as a command line argument when launching conky) now has no effect.
    Presence of own_window_hints in the options line (or passed as a command line argument when launching conky) has the desired effect.
    Yes, alternatively placing own_window_hints [y/n] on its own line within the conky config should also be effective.

male
    male

You’re talking confused.

My first antiX installation “M11” already had in its conkyrc the optionown_window_hints

on_bottomyou have introduced into this thread

Why don’t you just say, “I was wrong.” And done

skidoo

Here’s the current file used to populate the default antiX .conkyrc:
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/blob/master/Themes/core/misc/.conkyrc#L43
    Get over trying to prove right/wrong and understand that the current default contains mention of a deprecated keyword and that and I was suggesting that this should be amended prior to the next antiX release.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Just this past week I tried MX18rc1 and the most interesting aspect I found was a gazzilion MX-conkies to get ideas from.
    Some only drew on one desktop some on all. Of course I copied them all shamelessly and a quick look now on a few verifies this “sticky” tag. The one called MX-antiX has sticky in it 🙂

Some need a file ~/.Xresources which I am currently investigating on what it is, as I don’t have one.

Which is kind of nice to know if you want different conkies for different desktops.
    Now, if you want them run on autostart and want them directed to specific desktops I wouldn’t know how to do it, manually it seems to just draw on the desktop you are at (without sticky).

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by fungalnet.
    Anonymous

Some need a file ~/.Xresources which I am currently investigating on what it is, as I don’t have one.

All I can do to help your “investigation” is attached to this post.

(Renamed WITHOUT DOT at the beginning)

male
    male

Which is kind of nice to know if you want different conkies for different desktops.
    Now, if you want them run on autostart and want them directed to specific desktops I wouldn’t know how to do it, manually it seems to just draw on the desktop you are at (without sticky).

The magic word is wmctrl
    My (~/.fluxbox/startup) currently sees

sleep 5 && wmctrl -s 0 && conky -c ~/wun/conky_configs/wunrci &
    sleep 5 && wmctrl -s 0 && conky -c ~/.conkyrc &
    sleep 10 && wmctrl -s 1 && conky -c ~/s11_conkyClock/Clock.conkyrc &
    sleep 11 && wmctrl -s 1 && conky -c ~/ragaEUR/ConkyCentrc &
    sleep 12 && wmctrl -s 1 && conky -c ~/4_Moon/.small_moon.conky &
    sleep 15 && wmctrl -s 1 && conky -c ~/ConkyHTCSpill/conkyrc &
    sleep 20 && wmctrl -s 2 && conky -c ~/.conky/bargraph-conky/conkyrc &
    #sleep 20 && wmctrl -s 2 && conky -c ~/1_accuweather/.conkyrc_1_images_wind_2015 &
    sleep 25 && wmctrl -s 3 && conky -c ~/Jan2012//oben_Jan12rc &
    #sleep 25 && wmctrl -s 3 && conky -c ~/nili/niliConky9rc &
    sleep 25 && wmctrl -s 3 && conky -c ~/vnstat_conkyrc &

The counting is similar to that of Grub.

skidoo

MX18rc1 and […] a gazzilion MX-conkies

MX is shipping a newer-versioned conky compared to the one shipped in antiX.
    The newer version uses lua scripting language & its configfiles may be incompatible with the earlier conky version(s).

Both the older version (packagename “conky-legacy”) and the new are available from antiX repository.
    http://mirror.cedille.club/mx-linux/antix/stretch/pool/main/c/conky/

Does the older version have a smaller memory footprint? IIRC, it does, and that was one of the reasons antiX chose to stick with older version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.