Connman GUIs

Forum Forums General Software Connman GUIs

• This topic has 25 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated May 22-1:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    PPC

For a long time I assumed that the GUI that pops open when I want to configure my network in antiX is Connman. I’ve always know that the GUI itself is a program called cmst (ConnMan System Tray) but I’ve always assumed it was part of the connman package. Later I found out that that assumption was wrong. cmst is an individual package, with no direct ties (as far as I can see) to connman it self. It’s a GUI a gentleman called Andrew made us the favor of creating and making available for everyone to use.
      Unfortunately Andrew’s health does not allow him to keep working on cmst (I wish him all the best if he ever reads this lines!).
      Also cmst is far from perfect- in antiX (at least, never tested on other distros) the window that allows users to enter the credentials to access wi-fi networks does not, by default, show the “OK” button, that’s off screen- that alone is problematic. But it has also some strange design options, like showing a list of available wi-fi networks on the main window, making almost every single person trying to connect to a wi-fi network assume that they should click the network they want to connect to… but that section of the window is merely informative… You see, to connect to wi-fi networks you have to click the “Wireless” tab, on the top of the window… Yeah, that does not make much sense to almost 100% of the people that use it. Somethings are just strange choices, but logical – an user already complained that it was hard to figure out where to type the “password” because the field said “passphrase”… Duh! You probably don’t have to be a computer genius to make that leap, but usually most routers to say “Password” on the sticker, so it’s safe to assume most users will try to find a field saying “Password” to enter that information. Technically “Passphrase” is the more correct option- “password” seems to imply it’s a single word. If it includes a space, it’s a phrase. So “Passphrase” covers both possibilities (a phrase with one or more words)… but still, not something non computer geeks expect to see. Also, even if you don’t speak English, “Password” is probably known across the world (so much so, that in Portuguese it’s a common word)

Why the long rant about cmst problems? Because, if anyone here knows how, probably all the problems I listed are easily to solve – the most pressing one, the size of the window that allows users to enter their wi-fi passwords. I would say cmst would be 99% perfect with that detail fixed

Also, there are other GUI’s for connman available in the repository – probably connman-gtk is the one that looks more to what most users expect- it’s way more intuitive than cmst. There’s only one problem – it has language files, but, for some reason, the package available in antiX just shows text in English (the software includes localization in pt, but it does not show up on my pt system)- so, if the person that created that package can solve that little problem, then we would really have another great alternative to help users across the world connect to their networks or bluetooth… Unfortunately, connman-gtk development seems to have stalled, long ago, so it would probably require to be forked.
      As far as I’ve seen I found only a real problem in connman-gtk – if it’s window is open but not currently focused, clicking it’s system tray icon does nothing (it should, I think, at least either toggle on/off the main window OR switch focus to it, if it’s already open)

Can anyone here help adapt any of this packages?

P.

techore

On the window size, I have the issue as well. I am not using the same window manager but I have to resize the window on launch.

As far as the window sizing, this is usually accomplished using window hints. The window manager may choose to ignore hints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Window_Manager_Hints

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html

cmst drives me bonkers due to its icon in the system tray being totally neurotic. On higher dpi displays, it does very strange things to the point, I am considering just disabling it. I have other system tray apps and none exhibit the symptoms, just cmst.

I did look briefly for alternatives to cmst but only briefly. If you find something, please share.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by techore.
        PPC

I did look briefly for alternatives to cmst but only briefly. If you find something, please share.

I did:

there are other GUI’s for connman available in the repository – probably connman-gtk is the one that looks more to what most users expect- it’s way more intuitive than cmst.

You can install it with:
          sudo apt install connman-gtk

Once installed, run it with:
          connman-gtk

abc-nix

Eventually, moving to Network Manager may be the easiest “alternative”. There are already intuitive GUIs for it, and they should also be localized. Connman is still simpler and has fewer dependencies, but…

ile

PPC you are One to save resources, connman gtk does not need to run tray, daemon.

PPC

PPC you are One to save resources, connman gtk does not need to run tray, daemon.

You can just run connman-gtk --no-icon

By the way, I’m testing this configuration on the FT10’s tint2 toolbar’s under “Button 5”, to summon/hide connman-gtk from the “Network” toolbar icon:
                button_lclick_command = ["pgrep connman-gtk"] && pkill connman-gtk || connman-gtk --no-icon &

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by PPC.
                • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by PPC.
                Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Network Manager will bring in elogind

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

Network Manager will bring in elogind

Ok. I will not suggest it anymore.

PPC

@anticapitalista – I’m not suggesting any change in antiX defaults, but it would be nice, to have a cmst option that is more user friendly and also localized. I think it’s some setting using when generating connman-gtk’s package that failed to enable localization.
                      My original idea was using that network manager in FT10 (since I think it’s easier to use than cmst), but I won’t include anything that is not localized – for English speaking users, connman-gtk, should work great, and it seems even lighter than cmst (it’s also old and unmaintained, as far as I could check)

P.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

We originally shipped connman plus connman-gtk but received feedback from users that cmst was better.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

We originally shipped connman plus connman-gtk but received feedback from users that cmst was better.

I agree with this; between cmst and ceni we have two viable network management solutions. In the rare cases when one or the other isn’t functioning properly, in many cases, switching back and forth between them yields to a solution; most of the time the default connmand with cmst works perfectly and automatically.

--
                          Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Does “ConnMan System Tray” allow you to share your phone’s internet connection with your computer, or does “ConnMan” do this? (I don’t know, which is why I ask the question.)
                            Does “Connman GTK” allow you to share your phone’s internet connection with your computer?
                            What else does “CMST Connman” have that others don’t?
                            Or even, what else does the “Connman GTK” have that the “CMST Connman” doesn’t have?
                            Change is good, as long as we don’t lose important features in this change.
                            Is this the GitHub “Connman GTK” https://github.com/jgke/connman-gtk?

This repository has been archived by the owner on Oct 25, 2021. It is now read-only.

If the repository was archived by the owner, then it means that I will never be able to send the “pt_BR” translation to the maintainer. As with ROXTerm, where my merge requests may never be approved and used #261.
                            “CMST Connman” has several languages translated on the LXQt Weblate platform.
                            I’m not criticizing the suggestion of change or the change itself, I’m just proposing that an analysis be made of the pros and cons of these programs.

– – – – –

O “ConnMan System Tray” permite compartilhar a conexão de internet do telefone com o computador, ou será que é o “ConnMan” que faz isso? (Eu não sei, por isso eu faço a pergunta.)
                            O “Connman GTK” permite compartilhar a conexão de internet do telefone com o computador?
                            O que mais o “CMST Connman” possui que os outros não possuem?
                            Ou ainda, que mais o “Connman GTK” possui que o “CMST Connman” não possui?
                            Mudar é bom, desde que não perdemos funcionalidades importantes nesta mudança.
                            Por acaso é este o GitHub “Connman GTK” https://github.com/jgke/connman-gtk?

This repository has been archived by the owner on Oct 25, 2021. It is now read-only.

Se o repositório foi arquivado pelo proprietário, então significa que eu nunca poderei enviar a tradução “pt_BR” para o mantenedor. Assim como ocorre com o ROXTerm, onde os meus pedidos de mesclagens poderão nunca ser aprovados e utilizados #261.
                            O “CMST Connman” possui vários idiomas traduzidos na plataforma LXQt Weblate.
                            Eu não estou criticando a sugestão da mudança ou a mudança em si, eu só estou propondo que seja feito uma análise dos prós e dos contras destes programas.

techore

I agree with this; between cmst and ceni we have two viable network management solutions. In the rare cases when one or the other isn’t functioning properly, in many cases, switching back and forth between them yields to a solution; most of the time the default connmand with cmst works perfectly and automatically.

I believe ppc is calling out a design or defect that is an annoyance and asking for either alternatives or solutions. Not speaking for him but you may have misunderstood his intent. Then, again, maybe I misunderstood. 🙂

I like cmst except for how its icon is managed in the dwm/dusk system tray which may or may not be a cmst issue. If I understood the root cause, I would seek a solution and do a PR or fork.

I have a screenshot at work of the issue but essentially it is 1/4 the size it should be and squiggly lines/colors in the other three quadrants. I have reproduced it on several machines with different resolutions but it generally happens after changing dpi in .Xresources. I attempted to use cmst’s arg to set the icon size between 1.0 to 3.0 which changed nothing and I get an xcb net error which may or may not be related. A couple hours of googling was not fruitful except others had reported xcb issues many years ago.

I may take a closer look at cmst’s window hints and icon issue after I finish unraveling and building cuda, nvenc, ffmpeg, and other multimedia packages for my A/V workstation.

Brian Masinick

“I believe ppc is calling out a design or defect that is an annoyance and asking for either alternatives or solutions. Not speaking for him but you may have misunderstood his intent. Then, again, maybe I misunderstood. 🙂

Here is what @PPC stated: “I’m not suggesting any change in antiX defaults, but it would be nice, to have a cmst option that is more user friendly and also localized.” The complete statement is in post #142469.

@anticapitalista responded “We originally shipped connman plus connman-gtk but received feedback from users that cmst was better.” My response was to that comment.

As far as what @PPC desires, that would require some project work either on the Connman/CMST project or in another customized implementation of CMST; either effort would require people to take on that work.

I have no objection to someone doing whatever they want in this regard; from my perspective, especially now that the location where I live has improved the wireless access points, CMST is now a network manager that works automatically for me 98-99% of the time; that 1-2 % of the time that it’s not automatic is usually when there is a temporary network quirk taking place that clearly is NOT caused by Connman or CMST, it’s caused by fairly rare disruptions in network services. So like I said, I personally don’t have a problem with what we have; I won’t mind any other easy to use options as long as they don’t compromise the extremely reliable solutions we have today or slow the performance; in those cases I’d make a copy of the current solutions for my own personal use.

--
                                Brian Masinick

PPC

Dear fellow antiX users:
                                  My intent was basically exposing what I think are the flaws in both cmst and connman-gtk and asking for someone with programming knowledge to to try solve them, since I just know some bash, no real programming languages (well, I can use simple python scripts, and even adapt them, but not write any code). The last sentence in my original post was a direct plea for help on that subject:

Can anyone here help adapt any of this packages?

P.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by PPC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.