Connman wireless not working in antiX 19.1 Full 32-bit

Forum Forums General Software Connman wireless not working in antiX 19.1 Full 32-bit

• This topic has 81 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 24-9:01 am by gf.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author

Starting new thread (continuation from “I’m clueless on…” thread page 6 in Software)

Summary of the problem: Unable to get Connman working on antiX 19.1 Full 32-bit.
    Errors I get are:
    “Connman returned the following error: connect-failed. Would you like to retry?”
    “The agent request failed before a reply was returned.”

Workaround for antiX version 19.0 is to install ceni in these steps:
    I attach network wire, install ceni, disconnect network wire, remove connman, add the symlink for resolv.conf. Then, the wireless works. The problem then is that the symlink breaks when I reboot. After reboot I’d have to do the symlink again, then reconfigure my wifi in ceni again. That is a hassle. In antiX 17 it worked just fine.

I have reinstalled antiX 17.3.1 and the wireless works fine again.
    NOTE: I used wicd to set up the network in 17, not ceni. Just to be sure, I disconnected from the access point with the wicd interface and reconnected with ceni and it connected just fine.

My notebook is 32-bit, non-pae since I have a Pentium M processor, 2GB of ram.
    Wireless card is:
    $ inxi -F
    portion of output:
    Network:
    Device-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    driver: 8139too
    IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:03:25:10:6a:9a
    Device-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network driver: ipw2200
    IF: eth1 state: down mac: 00:0e:35:28:05:5d

Thanks for your help on this. Will post further details on helpful suggestions shortly.
    G

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by gf.

Here are the contents of the Persistent-net.rules file from antiX 17.3.1.

Here is iwconfig from antiX 17.3.1 installed on harddrive, with wireless working:
    $ iwconfig
    eth1 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:”MYWIFI”
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: 00:C0:49:F0:76:32
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=78/100 Signal level=-25 dBm Noise level=-84 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:7

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by gf.

Here are the contents of the Persistent-net.rules file and the output from iwconfig from antiX 19.1 (running live from DVD)
    Thanks
    : )
    G

@ gf Did you read about non PAE kernel for MX in old thread. Sorry should not have assumed too much, that is usually chosen
    automatically by the installer.

I am tired now so maybe my remnant brain is not working. To me it looks as if your wifi may be working properly, the symlink
    you have been adding to get wifi working is to etc/resolv.conf which contains the dns server entrys.

If dns is not working you can not connect to anything because adresses can not be resolved without name server adressing.

That thought has been nagging for last hour or so. You have a working wifi when that link is present.

Reboot it has gone and wifi broken again. Maybe the problem is more complicated but at presend I think you are creating the
    link in a dynamic directory created at boot. That would explain it not being carried over to next boot.

If that is the case I have no solution—yet.

Thanks for the clarification, Moddit. I will keep looking. I found a good long article from the Arch wiki on wireless and connman – I’ll have a look through that. And I have yet to do the directory comparisons.
    Have a good sleep.
    G

Just looked at debian release notes. Found this, how much will apply to problems in Antix I am not sure but we are getting nearer to root of wifi problems.

The buster release notes warn that the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules method for assigning persistent network interface names is no longer supported. However, it may be difficult to predict what the new “predictable” interface name will be.

The udevadm command suggested in the release notes, when run under stretch, may not show all of the possible interface name choices. Even in the cases where the name is shown, it may be difficult to see which of the choices will be the correct one.

On remote systems, where having the interface come up is critically important, it may be wise to adopt a pessimistic strategy, and add stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces for every possible interface name, even ones that aren’t shown under stretch.

Here is an example stretch system’s output:

root@svr4:/# udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 2>/dev/null
    ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enxe4115b0dc990
    ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Hewlett Packard
    ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp2s0

This system has two onboard network interfaces, but the onboard interface names are not shown in stretch’s output. It’s not possible to predict whether the new interface name will be enp2s0 or eno0 or eno1. So, the best strategy is to put all three of them into the /etc/network/interfaces file. Then, whichever two are not used may be removed from that file after rebooting into buster.

auto enp2s0
    iface enp2s0 inet static
    address 10.76.142.85
    netmask 255.255.254.0
    gateway 10.76.142.1

auto eno0
    iface eno0 inet static
    address 10.76.142.85
    netmask 255.255.254.0
    gateway 10.76.142.1

auto eno1
    iface eno1 inet static
    address 10.76.142.85
    netmask 255.255.254.0
    gateway 10.76.142.1

(For the curious, this particular interface on this system ended up being eno0.)

On systems that use the interface names in other configuration files besides /etc/network/interfaces, such as firewalls, it might be preferable to assign persistent names through the systemd.link(5) configuration, rather than relying on the “predictable” names.

We do not have system D but either this issue has a workaround in AntiX or is giving the errant behavior Debian is warning about. Maybe anti could shed some light on that or point to a dev who can. Looking through Arch and Gentoo forums has often been a help, this time though I think the problem is the difference between old and new version. Buster behaving like sid.

I find this too on my pentium machine. Being the way I am I would see if 17 has an interface description here
    after setting up wifi. If yes copy it in to 19 and see what happens. What we do see is that shitty system D has now crept in to screw up wifi in Debian worse still the devs write the changes are unreliable. *’++***** swearing loudly. That is shitty idiotic insanity.

# /etc/network/interfaces
    #
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    # Used by ceni but not by connman
    #——————————————————————————

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

This paragraph is a disgusting admittance in a stable release of a system which has been highly regarded and used on servers worldwide.

On remote systems, where having the interface come up is critically important, it may be wise to adopt a pessimistic strategy, and add stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces for every possible interface name, even ones that aren’t shown under stretch.

Pottering about. What idiots follow his nitwit ideas.

malemale

Since I cannot understand what has been said here about connman, I have now carried out this test:

What have I done
    -connman started via CC
    -the ethernet connection disconnected
    -start the wifi connection with a double click, my PW

That’s it.

@Moddit
    it would never occur to me to insult the many, many users of systemd insult.

$ inxi -nxxx
    Network:   Device-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq port: 2000 bus ID: 02:02.0 
               chip ID: 8086:4220 
               IF: eth0 state: up mac: filter 
               Device-2: 3Com 3cCFE575CT CardBus [Cyclone] driver: 3c59x v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
               chip ID: 10b7:5257 
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: filter 
               IF-ID-1: irda0 state: down mac: 00:00:00:00 
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.193-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.5.5+git20190610 Distro: antiX-19_386-full Marielle Franco 16 October 2019 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: IBM product: 2371H8G v: ThinkPad X40 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: IBM model: 2371H8G serial: <filter> BIOS: IBM v: 1UETD3WW (2.08 ) date: 12/21/2006 
    Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0.9 Wh condition: 0.9/27.4 Wh (3%) model: Panasonic IBM-92P1000 status: Full 
    CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium M bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Dothan rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
               flags: sse sse2 bogomips: 1196 
               Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 600/1400 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 600 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics vendor: IBM driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~50Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.3 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC97 Audio vendor: IBM driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.5 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.193-antix.1-486-smp 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq port: 2000 bus ID: 02:02.0 
               IF: eth0 state: up mac: <filter> 
               Device-2: 3Com 3cCFE575CT CardBus [Cyclone] driver: 3c59x v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter> 
               IF-ID-1: irda0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 63.57 GiB used: 5.5 MiB (0.0%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Mach Xtreme model: MXSSD1MNANO-60G size: 56.00 GiB 
               ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: TransMemory size: 7.57 GiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.15 GiB used: 2.4 MiB (0.2%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: 43.0 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
    Info:      Processes: 116 Uptime: 20m Memory: 1.46 GiB used: 131.3 MiB (8.8%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
               gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.36 

Male is the capital of the Maldives and its wonderful people.

Moddit wrote “see if 17 has an interface description here
    after setting up wifi. If yes copy it in to 19 and see what happens.”

Hi Moddit, thanks for your idea. I will test that when I am next at my computer. It may be two days before I can test. I will report back when I have tried your idea.
    G

Hi male,
    Thanks for your post and screen shots.
    Are you in 32bit antiX 19.1 full?

Did connman work for you?
    Does your wifi connect ok?
    Thanks
    G

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

@gf – male is using antiX-19_386-full and he posted to say that connman works with the same wifi driver you need (ipw2200) and chip (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2]).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

@gf – male is using antiX-19_386-full and he posted to say that connman works with the same wifi driver you need (ipw2200) and chip (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2]).

So anyone suffering a problem with internet on Version 19 or 19.1 is either

suffering from massive delusions

or

too stupid to do following.

-connman started via CC

-have the ethernet connection disconnected.

-start the wifi connection with a double click and enter password.

That really puts the record straight….

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

@gf – please post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces file (default after installation). – thanks

Or change it so it look like this – then try connman again (after a reboot)

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # /etc/network/interfaces
    #
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    # Used by ceni but not by connman
    #------------------------------------------------------------------------------

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Thanks for posting anticapitalista,
    I will try that and post results when next back to my computer, in a couple of days. Sorry for the delay.
    G

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.