Connman wireless not working in antiX 19.1 Full 32-bit

Forum Forums General Software Connman wireless not working in antiX 19.1 Full 32-bit

• This topic has 81 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 24-9:01 am by gf.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author

@gf, Just found this in Void handbook. Might be worth a try, will try to dig further
    This is about enabling connman.

Instructions state: first disable any other network managing services like dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant, or wicd. These services all control network interface configuration, and interfere with each other.

Arch contradicts that and states Install the connman package.
    wpa_supplicant and bluez are optional dependencies required for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality respectively.

I think having wicd and connman installed together might cause problems, it may well be better to purge when removing as well as take a look for any orphanned config files in home.

Bug in connman. Reported debian inkl Buster. Tagged expected behaviour.
    Source: connman
    Severity: important

The wait-online service is started in the postinst script, meaning it will hang for 2 minutes (default time out) on first install or when offline.

Does that mean that we must wait 2 minutes before trying to connect to wifi. For sure I did not too impatient.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.

Some interesting information here in the parallel unuverse. Antix part of MX Forum
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55422&sid=cf23e969b34a4667b0ce5d7719595eb7&start=10

Hi Moddit,
    I just read over the post in the MX forum. I find this comment interesting:

I’ve just installed antiX-19 and ConnMan takes control of /etc/resolv.conf and directs all queries to it’s own nameserver, which will only work if ConnMan is controlling your connections

That’s likely why it keeps overwriting/breaking my symlink. I was thinking of trying to figure out how to download the wicd or ceni pkgs onto a usb. Then, install fresh AntiX 19.1. Then apt purge connman and cmst. Then install wicd or ceni from usb. Doesn’t help solve connman issue but at least it would solve wifi for now.

Thanks for your other post on void linux handbook. I look at that shortly.
    : )
    G

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by gf.

Hi Moddit,
    Thanks for continuing to explore other sources of information on this issue : )

You said:

…having wicd and connman installed together might cause problems,…

I think that antiX v19.0 had only connman installed and that was the first time I had problems with wifi. AntiX 19.1 had connman and ceni installed so maybe that complicated matters.

And on:

wpa_supplicant and bluez are optional dependencies required for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality respectively.

That reminds me that I was getting a wpa_supplicant error (“you may have another wpa-supplicant process already running or the file was left by an unclean termination of wpa-supplicant….”) when I tried to get ceni to scan for networks, without removing connman first. Seems like connman uses wpa_supplicant in the back end.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this
    G

Hi again Moddit,
    I only gravitated toward ceni because I had read posts where other people who had problems with wireless, had solved it with ceni. Would it be OK to try wicd? I actually like wicd better than ceni.
    Do you know why they decided to go to connman for the network manager for antiX 19, instead of wicd and ceni?
    Take care
    G

Hi Everyone,
    I tried a fresh install of antiX 19.1 on the harddrive, and with network wire attached, installed wicd and purged connman. After reboot wifi does not work with wicd either.
    It was worth a try
    G

capreacaprea

After reboot wifi does not work with wicd either.

Yes, the same symlink is required to get wicd to work on antiX19.

sudo ln -s /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf 

It’s to bad the symlink always breaks for you after reboot.

Edit: Wait, could you try the following

sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by caprea.
    capreacaprea

Before trying things from my post above, you have to

sudo apt-get remove --purge connman cmst connman-bluetooth-firmware-antix

Also,
    when opening wicd, on the upper right side there is a drop-down arrow, from here you can go to the settings.
    Please make sure your wireless interface is called in the settings the same as in
    inxi -n

Probably eth1 or eth0 for your 2200BG Calexico2 card.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by caprea.

Hi caprea, good to have you in this.
    @gf you said: Seems like connman uses wpa_supplicant in the back end. Correct, it also runs as a daemon
    looking and listening for connections or networks to automagically connect. That is why it is popular, when it works.

Pls also do iwconfig each time you change things, it condenses the information to networking.

etc/resolv/conf is for dns entrys, in a previous post I pointed out the output suggested your wifi was working but no connection to router or internet. When you symlinked and got net all you did is enable dns resolving.

I think it it is getting time to have some kind of a shared done up to now digest, I have 3 connections to forum at times to cross reference posts. Concentration on Frontend and time lags between participants are pulling away from searching root cause. I think we are working across time zones and probably continents. That is never easy.

If capreas suggestions are unsuccessful, across a reboot, I hope not.

If succesful then case proven, no dns, not frontends as I suspect.

As tested on a working system by temp rename of resolv conf. You lose internet connection after reboot but frontend works as before. iwconfig is informative as to how that looks.

Some interesting posts on workings of udev in networking @ https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2333

Sorry I am not so fit and fast to post last days due rotavirus, painful.

Hi Caprea and Moddit,
    Sorry I have been delayed in my reply. I have also been down sick with a terrible cold. And yes, I am in eastern standard time (Toronto) timezone.

Will try your new symlink shortly, Caprea. I believe I purged most of that stuff already but I will run your command again anyway. It won’t hurt.

You’re right, Moddit that we need a summary of “what has been done up to now.” I’ll start on it and try to keep it short.
    I agree that it is likely the dns (not the interface).
    I don’t know what udev is but I will look at your link, Moddit.

Thanks for your patience
    G

Hi Caprea,
    OK, workaround successful!
    Your second link,

sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

is retained over a reboot.
    : D

I will test again with live DVD session and post the steps for the workaround replacing connman and using wicd for wifi instead.
    thanks
    G

Hi Everyone,
    Here are the steps for the workaround of replacing connman and using wicd for wifi instead.
    Thanks
    G

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by gf.

Hi again,
    Yes, going from there to install on the harddrive, the wifi continues to work through wicd as expected (no need to re-set it up). After the reboot at the end of the install, the wicd wifi is active and working.

OK, now I’ll work on a summary of things tried to date on connman’s wifi issue.

Thanks
    G

Hi Everyone,
    Here is the summary. I kept it to a half-page : D
    Please correct/add if I missed anything.
    Thanks
    G

Good stuff. thanks caprea, am I correct in assuming that the file system where gf was linking is boot generated and thus lost at shutdown or is there another logical explanation. Still trying to figure out much of the workings in Buster.
    and
    gf for being so enduring, good your cold is better.

So for sure missing dns. If I get time can maybe see if adding the link will get internet with connman working for
    a laptop which at present is troublesome. It would not surprise me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.