Console Control Center and X

Forum Forums General Software Console Control Center and X

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by wildstar84 May 23-12:57 pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    seaken64

On the Console Control Center is a menu choice for a video app called mpv. Do I need the X System for that? Is it possible to use a video or graphical app without using X?

Sean

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

mpv allows videos to be played without X.

mpv --vo=drm file

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

seaken64

Great! Thanks for the help. I didn’t know that was possible with Linux. I remember doing some graphical applications in DOS without a GUI like Windows being used. Ventura Publisher for instance. And some games. But I’m still unsure how linux and X work. So, all I need is a driver for the video card and I’m good to go with video without loading X. That’s good. I’ll give it a try. I have an old Thinkpad that I installed antiX-16 on but I am thinking I would like to try a console only system on that rig. It’s a P-II 300Mhz.

Sean

seaken64

Would it be possible to install the new Console Control Center that is included in antiX-17 into an antiX-16 install?

Sean

seaken64

OK, I tried running the Console Control Center, starting from text mode only, no X system. Most things work. I played music, browsed the web, wrote text files, etc. But if I try to launch the mpv video player I get errors.

It’s weird. When I select this mpv program off the menu it launches with with a command line already filled in with this:
    mpv –vo=drm –ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SghuUOPRi00

then it reports:
    Playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SghuUOPRi00

then i get errors. as follows:
    [ffmpeg] tls: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
    [ffmpeg] tls: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
    (*) Video –vid=1 (*) (h624)
    (*) Audio –aid=1 –alang=eng (*) ‘DASH audio’ (opus) (external)
    Subs –sid=1 –slang=de ‘vtt’ (webvtt) (external)
    Subs –sid=2 –slang=de ‘vtt’ (webvtt) (external)
    [vo/drm] Cannot open card “0”: No such file or directory.
    [vo/drm] Failed to create KMS.
    Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (–vo) device.
    Video: no video

Exiting… (Errors when loading file)
    <End error message>

So I don’t know what any of this means. I can guess that my video is not set up properly for “DRM”? How do I fix that?

And why does clicking on the mpv selection launch with a pre-filled command to launch a video? How do I enter my own selection?

Thanks for any help.
    Sean

seaken64

After some reading on the “drm” options for mpv I am wondering how this is supposed to work. I’m going to assume that I need a working driver for my video card even though I am not using X. Since I do not have Xorg doing this for me I have to set up the driver myself. I think. Am I going in the right direction?

How do I setup the module for my video card without using X?

Sean

seaken64

I think the solutions for this will be beyond me. At least for now. I’ve read so much but it does not make sense. Something to do with KMS, DRM, nouveau. It’s all very complicated to me.

I guess this is a lesson in how difficult Linux can be for a non-programmer. But I think I can manage with antiX-16 for now. I don’t know if version 17 or later will ever work for me on this machine but for now it’s a no-go.

Sean

seaken64

I tried again using the command line to mimic the mpv launcher from the CLCC

mpv –vo=x11 -ytdl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SghuUOPRi00

I used vo=x11 because I had figured out before that it was the only way to get smtube to work with smplayer. The nvidia geforce driver is not working.

This time I did get a video to play. But it was at 1080p. I could not figure out how to get it show at 360p. And this was all from the GUI using a terminal windows. Without the X windows system it does not work.

How do I set mpv to ask me for the resolution? And how do I use mpv from the CLCC if I can’t enter my own link to a youtube video?

Sean

wildstar84
    wildstar84

If it’s using youtube-dl (-ytdl), you might check the manpage see if any way to pass options to youtube-dl, since it has options for specifying vid. quality (default is “best”). If not, I believe youtube-dl allows for a user-configuration file (check it’s manpage) to specify the default vid. quality.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.