convert debian/devuan to antix

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders convert debian/devuan to antix

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jul 27-7:08 pm by iznit.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    xinomilo

hey @ll,

is there some simple way to convert devuan ceres (or debian sid) with runit, to antix testing/sid with runit?
    iirc runit implementation is different, so that’s a personal -big- blocker for converting just by dist-upgrading. (use custom runscripts for a few daemons already…)

and any other tips concerning conversion appreciated..
    ( would also like to use seatd instead of elogind and keep openbox as-is.)

thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by xinomilo.
    Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

If you can wait a little there will be a newer version of antiX (Debian based) which will have runit and seatd.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-22-being-worked-on/

Otherwise someone else may be able to give instructions on how to modify / build such a system.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

If you can wait a little there will be a newer version of antiX (Debian based) which will have runit and seatd.

My understanding is that it is the same as existing already:
    Just remove all *elogind* from antiX 21 runit, replacing with seatd. This is what I have been running for the past half year or so. The only difference with antiX 22 release that it comes configured as such starting with the initial ISO. Current antiX 21 runit, *elogind*-free installations are equivalent to antiX 22 according to prior communication in this forum.
    So if there are other material differences that in the meantime have been decided for antiX 22, I would be very interested to learn about…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

hey @ll,

is there some simple way to convert devuan ceres (or debian sid) with runit, to antix testing/sid with runit?
    iirc runit implementation is different, so that’s a personal -big- blocker for converting just by dist-upgrading. (use custom runscripts for a few daemons already…)

and any other tips concerning conversion appreciated..
    ( would also like to use seatd instead of elogind and keep openbox as-is.)

thanks in advance.

As far as “convert” goes, I know of no “prepared” tool to do that for you.

If you want to do it yourself, it’s “theoretically” possible to put different repositories in place and perform apt-get install procedures.
    Such things are prone to have errors, and it’s NOT a certainty that it would work without systematically and carefully removing and replacing various components.
    That’s not particularly well documented either, though there WERE some guidelines to removing a few packages, changing repositories and updating from previous antiX releases to the current one. I leave that one as a “search”, read, absorb, and experiment exercise. You have to be able to do such things in order to do even more complex things, so those are my recommendations for learning.

Other things to consider:

If you have multiple systems available AND/OR some very recent copies and backups, you can try to perform some test builds and re-installations, see what works what doesn’t. If they crash and burn, simply reinstall your backup or replacement and try again.

Some similar things: again, with backups and alternatives, DO try mixing and matching systems; some things are POSSIBLE, others aren’t. By experimenting, you can determine yourself what your personal skill level will enable you to accomplish and what you have to learn. If you have at least one test platform and are willing to experience disasters as well as successes, that’s how you can learn to answer questions that you and others don’t know right now. Again, unless you have alternatives and replacements available, this is super risky; if you have multiple systems AND a few WORKING USB and/or installed systems, this may be a really cool learning project! Only you can decide what you are willing to try out in order to learn. (I’ve done a few things like this; I’ve taken a stable Debian system and just by modifying repositories and CAREFULLY updating packages, I’ve changed implementations, upgraded releases, and installed one system over another. Mostly I’ve OVERWRITTEN stuff completely, but I have done a few wacky merges over the years. I’ve rendered a few of them INOPERABLE; I simply reinstalled in that case.

I’ve had one or two systems over the years damage my GRUB boot image; in that case I typicaly had to install something else, have it take over the boot record in the MBR or primary boot record; reinstalling stuff usually fixes things, but it CAN be a matter of what and how much needs to be reinstalled; for me, I multi-boot; I’ve had to completely redo one or two systems; one I trashed that way because I wanted to reorganize the partitions, number and size, etc. anyway.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

My understanding is that it is the same as existing already:
    Just remove all *elogind* from antiX 21 runit, replacing with seatd. This is what I have been running for the past half year or so. The only difference with antiX 22 release that it comes configured as such starting with the initial ISO. Current antiX 21 runit, *elogind*-free installations are equivalent to antiX 22 according to prior communication in this forum.
    So if there are other material differences that in the meantime have been decided for antiX 22, I would be very interested to learn about…

No idea on other differences. At this moment you would know alot more than me about runit / seatd on antix.
    I just know that there was going to be a new version were seatd was the default and there would be a runit version.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

xinomilo
    Helpful
    Up

i’ve read about antiX 22 runit+seatd, just thought sid (and/or dev?) repos would already be using testing packages for 22 (?)
    but not being very familiar with antiX development cycle, i could be missing something…

thanks for your answers, will probably clone current drive and do test conversion there when i get some time.
    btw, when testing apt install runit-init-antix, i got into some dependency blocks (wants sysvinit-core installed, is that correct?), so it will take a while i guess to figure all dependencies out.
    ( if it proves too time-consuming, will probably go with a new install+restore home, sometimes that’s much faster 🙂 )

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

While I am not positive about everything that may be included in antiX 22, it is true that if you use either Testing or Sid repos you will have quite a few of the packages that end up in antiX 22, but Sid is not equal to antiX because antiX is a distinct distribution.

Yes, many packages do come from Debian but many others are either engineered by antiX or sourced from other projects. In any case the source code is compiled directly in antiX development team environment.

Brian Masinick

iznit
    Helpful
    Up

to convert devuan ceres (or debian sid) with runit

any other tips concerning conversion appreciated.

Unpack the initrd.gz from each distro and compare contents. A chunk of “what makes antiX act like antiX” lays within the initial RAM disk (initrd). I don’t know whether you can or should just discard the non-antiX initrd. Check the live-usb-maker script. What “bits and bobs” must it find available [[[installed]]] in order to to create a full-featured live antiX. Okay, maybe you don’t really care about live features. Still, check code within the iso-snapshot progrem. It seems to perform a wholesale [[[complete]]] replacement of the initrd. It replaces the initrd present on the running system with an initrd prepared by and packaged by antiX. I don’t know which package supplies this “stock” initrd. It must be one of the packages the snapshot pckage “depends” on.

At a minimum, without the antiX initrd the “converted” system will not recognize any of the special bootcodes//cheatcodes. Also, the system will lack many bundled external modules [[[drivers]]] for the wide range of older hardware that antiX natively supports.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.