Creating Bootable usb providing both 32 and 64 bit Antix

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Creating Bootable usb providing both 32 and 64 bit Antix

• This topic has 22 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 20-6:33 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Delighted with 32 bit version of Antix installed on ancient laptop. I now wish to advance knowledge by creating a bootable usb which I can use either on (older) 32 bit machines or 64 machines by being able to select from grub starter or similar. I wish to use as live boots with option to install in some cases as required.

Is this a good plan and what are the steps to take. My working machine for building stick will be opensuse 64 bit laptop.

I have read many posts here but either the questions or the answers are too difficult/complicated for simple souls like me so I am asking before I get in a mess.
    Budgie

Yes, I have done this and it works good. I can’t remember if my thread on this subject was here or on MX Forum. I will look to find it and post the link.

Seaken64

Found it. Here:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49318

I used antiX/MX tools. I think you can install LiveUSB Maker on openSuSE.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by seaken64.

Many thanks. Will go back and do this but meanwhile I just went straight to the 64 bit version as I needed the bootable live installation for testing a sick workstation.
    I was able to boot for the first time a short time ago but I have one problem. What is the default root password for first time startup? Of course I want to change it but I need help with first step. Any suggestions?
    Regards,
    Budge

upon first liveboot, 2 user accounts are available:

root (default password is “root”)
    demo (default password is “demo”)

Hi and many thanks for all the help. All good except I am still looking for LUM on opensuse. Worst case is I shall have to install Antix on VM on another machine.

As an aside I have been so frustrated by openSUSE KDE and all the many little things which go wrong on the simple stuff that I might just switch to Antix. Never had any problems with it so far, so thanks to all the Antix supporters.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Hi and many thanks for all the help. All good except I am still looking for LUM on opensuse. Worst case is I shall have to install Antix on VM on another machine.

It should be easy to install LUM on openSUSE from my repos using git:

git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
    git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
    cd live-usb-maker
    sudo ./live-usb-maker

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

I also became disillusioned with OpenSuSE and the changes to the new KDE4 and KDE5. I liked using KDE before the changes. I found XFCE and eventually MX to replace my openSuSE systems. antiX can also be a good alternative to openSuSE if you don’t mind being a little more techy. The MX Tools and Package Installer are closer to what openSuSE offers with ease of use.

Bitjam will get you going in the right direction. He and Fehlix, skidoo, and several others helped me tremendously.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by seaken64.

Wow, I am learning this was a rather big step for a beginner…

I now have used LUM to install full x64 bit version on usb. I only used 50% of drive as I was not sure if I needed the other half for the intended 32 bit version. I used the option switches during my first live run from the usb to select save and full and answered all the questions with sensible positive answers. Love what I see.

I do have a few questions as I progress. There was one choice mentioned during the first time boot, if I recall concerning root, where no choice was given but an instruction to do something. Cannot recall what it was and have no idea how to get there again unless of course I reboot.

I have meanwhile been able to update installation and install Thunderbird and was able to receive an email message. What I could not do is select an url link from an email on the live system, possible because I have not set everything up correctly.

How am I doing so far? If I now close the live system and eject usb will it all be there again when I reboot? We shall see but many thanks for all the help so far.
    Budgie

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Unless you set up persistence via F5 menu, you will lose all your new changes on reboot.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

If no persistence and (but) you’ve spent a lot of effort customizing, use the isosnaphot tool to capture your customized system into a fresh iso.

I used F5 to save all and F8 also. So far so good. Am a bit unsure on editing syslinux.cfg and it is now clear there was no need to reserve 50% of disk for the second live system. I should be able to use it as additional storage for any work done with live distro.

Minor question concerning the spare usb capacity. Should I create the partition /dev/sdb3 as a primary or extended partition in this case? I assume primary and then format as ext4. Is that OK?

I am very much interested in capability of both 32bit and 64bit antiX on the same usb, using antiX tools only. I tried to follow try-and-fail suggestions in the linked thread and admit this was a confusing bunch.
    Does anyone see a clear and straightforward process to accomplish this with antiX, so no Susie, third party tools, etc..?

All the clues needed are in that thread. Read it through again and try it out. Yes, it is a little confusing if you have not done this before. It took me a few tries. But the instructions in that thread work. Look again at message #23 and #27 as overview.

Seaken64

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.