Creating Bootable usb providing both 32 and 64 bit Antix

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Creating Bootable usb providing both 32 and 64 bit Antix

• This topic has 22 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 20-6:33 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

straightforward: use 2 pendrives

Otherwise, I stand by the recommendation I posted in that linked MX discussion.

Minor question concerning the spare usb capacity. Should I create the partition /dev/sdb3 as a primary or extended partition in this case? I assume primary and then format as ext4. Is that OK?

That should work fine as a primary partition with ext4. But as you already stated it is not necessary to reserve space on the drive. You could start over and choose 100% of drive. Either should work.

Seaken64

All going well but where do I find /live/boot-dev. Found it yesterday when checking what I was doing but now I have started over and have two sticks all working and ready to go and cannot find the required directory.

XecureXecure

All going well but where do I find /live/boot-dev. Found it yesterday when checking what I was doing but now I have started over and have two sticks all working and ready to go and cannot find the required directory.

One of things I like most about antiX is that it is well thought out for live environments. The Control Center will have most of the answers.
    Control Center > Live > Set Up Live Persistence > Exploration Menu –(OK) > Persistence Device (OK)
    It will open the live-boot folder in ROX Filer. If you are running on RAM, it will “mount” (sorry, can’t think of a better word right now) a tmp folder with the same live-boot contents.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Xecure. Reason: Added a quote
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Xecure. Reason: bad writing

I would recommend watching Dolphin-Oracle’s videos on using the Live USB system. He explains why the file system looks different on the Live system. Also review the Wiki on the Frugal installs if you haven’t already.

Seaken64

Hi, I’m a bit slow here as am fitting in between work but I have watched several of the videos and will need to watch them several more times as there is a good bit going on. Meanwhile I am still following the thread on putting the two live boot systems onto the one stick. In post 27 of the above referenced thread the writer suggests I rename the antix directory which makes sense to me. When I try to rename I am refused. If I copy to the other stick /live/boot-dev/ directory I cannot copy as the two directories have the same name and I am not offered a rename option.

As you can tell I am still learning here. Should I be using superuser authority for this exercise or am I missing something here? The directions seem straight forward. Having come this far I am reluctant to give up and use the two sticks separately. This issue is not urgent but when you have time any help would be appreciated.
    Budgie

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Hi Budgie,

you wrote:
    Should I be using superuser authority for this exercise
    on the renaming that might have to be in a sudo. You could try changing the name slightly
    and then copy over it in a root terminal.

This will be very interesting if a dual boot stick is possible

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Yes, use the Root Terminal. Once in as su you can start your filemanager and then you can rename and move files as root.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.