(Debian) systemd maintainers 'emotionally exhausted' :(

Forum Forums General Other Distros (Debian) systemd maintainers 'emotionally exhausted' :(

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Dec 21-4:13 pm by oops.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dghdgh

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/09/msg00001.html
    Cry me a river. Sounds like Captain Feelgood has a fresh bucket of crocodile tears and he’s greasing the skids in the torpedo bay; so much for Debian’s glowy, short-lived lies about ‘init diversity’. (Never believed them anyway.) Prepare for impact!

You just have to understand it the proper way.

Linux is a server OS and Linux on a desktop is an illusion.

Linux is still alive because of a few ‘big players’ needing and developing it.

(Almost) Everything that’s good in Linux world is financed by Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle …

The rest of it consists of a hand full of barely usable applications and the big bunch of crap, made by some hobbyists.

The situation with systemd is not different. It’s not perfect, but it’s better.

fatmacfatmac

Systemd was conceived to make money for the big players to sell maintenance contracts, it is the equivalent of MS Registry, only a few people really understand how it works, it has been made complex to sell these contracts.

SysV has been, & still is, working perfectly, why change it – just to make money, that’s why.

Thankfully, the BSDs are not using systemd, & many really big concerns are using BSD to run their businesses.

Debian has sold out, no longer is it the distro of the people.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

“Systemd was conceived to make money for the big players to sell maintenance contracts, it is the equivalent of MS Registry, only a few people really understand how it works, it has been made complex to sell these contracts.”

Well maybe, but … take a look at gconf-editor and dconf-editor … and editing /etc/something/somecrap.rc is also not that much easier (or harder) for anybody else except for “a few people (who) really understand”.

And about selling contracts/support plan, every serious company on this planet is paying for support, either directly or indirectly.

Either you pay for the contract or pay for your own support (== pay your very own support team).

That wasn’t different with (or in times of) any other init.

Unfortunately, some systemd opponents repeatedly misjudge that this beneficial invention only came into being because sysVinit was associated with old-age weakness lid. Only then did they start to maintain this init system again…

I love systemd and have already written once, first with systemd I understand my Linux! I don’t understand sysVinit. The main thing is that the people writing here understand it…

Yeah, and the hard impact won’t happen! lol

tlaloc77tlaloc77

Systemd was conceived to make money for the big players to sell maintenance contracts, it is the equivalent of MS Registry, only a few people really understand how it works, it has been made complex to sell these contracts.

Interesting idea, I thought that systemd was meant to introduce “bugs” so that it is easier to hack into a Linux system, since introducing a backdoor into the kernel (by “somehow” getting access to kernel.org and circumventing git) failed miserably. ;-(

This idea could IMHO well be true, the “big player” where systemd was & is developed is one well-known company…

My inxi -zv7, inxi -Fxs and inxi -r are here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/a-proper-hellp/#post-2981

introducing a backdoor into the kernel (by “somehow” getting access to kernel.org and circumventing git) failed miserably

1) not something I can joke about

2) the threat is still real, is ongoing

3) phoronix, as a mouthpiece, an influencer, is not your friend

tlaloc77tlaloc77

1) not something I can joke about

Several years ago I was looking around on the kernel mailing list and came across the discovery that someone had put something like “if ((userid = 0))” – note the double brackets that suppress a compiler warning – into the kernel sources and apparently this had been done without providing a proper patch, even (AFAIR) without the proper use of git at all. But despite all the trickery the hack got discovered before the code went live, so I’m not VERY concerned about hacking the kernel 😀 (Besides, it happened some time after “someone” had apparently tried to order Linus to put a backdoor into the kernel, which (AFAIR) he refused saying he couldn’t do that because there are too many eyes on the code. To me, the chain of events looked like “someone” didn’t want to believe him, tried to prove that it can be done – and failed. So if you can’t put a backdoor into the Linux kernel that easily, what’s the next thing that runs on every Linux? Yeah… Only problem: SysV init was old, any changes would have caught some attention… But if you could sell a new, really big init system (with some advantages in certain areas) to the people, something where it’s easy to put some “bugs”…) That aside, I agree,

2) the threat is still real, is ongoing

Indeed.

My inxi -zv7, inxi -Fxs and inxi -r are here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/a-proper-hellp/#post-2981

oopsoops

… Any Way, the diversity and the large choice, is the better concept, for the kernels, the init systems and also for the rest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.