Default browser

Forum Forums News Announcements Default browser

This topic contains 86 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by 0day Aug 17-3:32 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

For future antiX releases, I’m thinking of changing the default browser.

For the last 2 releases, the default has been firefox-esr.

It has morphed into a huge RAM hog and I am not happy with this development.
    For example, as I type it is using close to 700MB RAM out of a total of c800!!

We need a ‘modern’ GUI browser so don’t suggest elinks, dillo etc.

I’m thinking of palemoon or seamonkey.
    Both are using about the same in terms of RAM usage c 220MB

Please post your thoughts

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

736b69646f6f

Falkon (formerly QupZilla) https://github.com/KDE/falkon
    It uses QTWebEngine + has inbuilt feature to block 3rd-party advertising.
    Also, its plugin framework supports extensions written in python.

Kubuntu has added debian packaging
    https://git.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-packaging/+git/falkon/tree/debian?h=kubuntu_unstable
    https://code.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-packaging/+git/falkon/+ref/kubuntu_unstable
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsimonq2/falkon/ubuntu/pool/main/f/falkon/

IDK whether buntu package, as is, would be installable to antiX.
    I’m looking to patch out the KWallet component (prefer keepassx) and use the provided build option to disable installation of KDEFrameworks components.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I use palemoon on all of mine.

poorguy
    poorguy

I use Seamonkey on different Linux Distros.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.
    (Thomas Edison)

malanrich

I’ve been on the browser merry-go-round for a while. Haven’t posted much but have followed discussion. On three different installs of antiX I’m using palemoon and slimjet (and recently–like right now–seamonkey, which some years ago I used to use exclusively). Both of those are snappy. But after extended use my Dell 2GB RAM 32-bit boxes are heating up. Using seamonkey seems to keep the heat down, but the performance lags relative to palemoon and slimjet. The default settings of seamonkey may be a factor–I don’t customize much, or at all–so I haven’t dug into what default settings may impact performance. Out of the box, palemoon and slimjet are very responsive (especially slimjet, which surprised me).

I would support seamonkey as default browser if a couple of issues could be addressed: Are there default settings that should be taken into account as an influence on responsiveness? And would seamonkey as default mean dropping claws-mail as the default email client?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by malanrich.
    sleekmason
    sleekmason

I’m digging the palemoon browser as well. bunches of options, good support, full features.

mroot
    mroot

I use Opera now on AntiX 17 which wouldn’t be a good choice. At least I think it wouldn’t be good choice. I haven’t done any real testing. It works well on my system but I have plenty of ram and multi-threads which isn’t the kind of system AntiX is aimed at. I have used a fair number of medium weight browsers on a LXDE Debian install placed on a celeron m laptop with a gig of ram. I think it is going to be hard to replace firefox and still get a high level of function. Pick what you think is best but I would like to see three things in whatever you choose.

1. The browser project makes timely security fixes available

2. There is a mechanism to make sure the fixes reach us as quickly and easily as possible

3. The system requirements for the browser are placed in the FAQ

Right now we tell people you can run AntiX with 256mb of ram which you can. But really people want to surf the web. Currently on AntiX to surf with firefox you need a p4 and a gig of ram. That’s much more useful information for most people unless they use dillo or want to use AntiX as a print server.

fatmac
    fatmac

I’ve used Seamonkey before & it was OK, I gave Palemoon a quick spin a little while back, & I think it was OK as well.

As long as all the regular uses are catered for, (Youtube, etc), either would be OK for me.

How regular are necessary updates performed by each, would perhaps swing it.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

For those using non-English. How easy is it to set palemoon or seamonkey to use another language?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

greyowl

I used SeaMonkey back when I was using XP. It was very stable and more responsive than FF and used less ram. However, I missed being able to pin tabs. It wasn’t updated very often. I have not tried it with antiX.

I use PaleMoon now with antiX. It is faster than FF. It is updated often. It runs very stable. However, it will not play hoopla video so I use FF.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

wildstar84
    wildstar84

I use the latest Firefox Quantum from Mozilla. With hardware-accereration / threading enabled, it’s hands down the fastest full-featured browser I’ve used. I tried Palemoon a month or so ago when I was still having trouble setting up Flash and getting sound to work w/o PulseAudio (both resolved now), but Palemoon was crash-prone. It and Seamonkey were both noticably much slower than Quantum. One thing I discovered today happened to be that hardware acceleration seems to work best when “backingstore” is enabled in X and the windowmanager, which seems to eliminate the occasional lag when switching desktops.

malanrich

On that tip about Firefox Quantum, I grabbed the executable from Mozilla and fired it up. There’s an audio glitch (I haven’t got PulseAudio), but aside from that I have to say this version of Firefox is amazing (using it now). I’ve got legacy hardware (Dell desktop, 2 GB RAM). It’s totally responsive without the lag I get from most all other browsers. Okay, I haven’t run it through paces or done stress tests…but just to confirm Wildstar84’s post, this might be something to look at. See if others have the same experience.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Post the RAM output of quantum after you have been running it for a while.
    This is for firfox-esr c660MiB out of c735MiB total!

pmem
     Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

277.3 MiB +  36.9 MiB = 314.2 MiB	Web Content
    307.7 MiB +  40.0 MiB = 347.7 MiB	firefox-esr
    ---------------------------------
                            735.9 MiB

stroudmw

I’ve been using Seamonkey for a while now, and will continue to install it on my Linux systems. I like that it also has an email client. But I haven’t used Palemoon, so perhaps it has one too.

mroot
    mroot

If your going to advocate for a particular browser it would be helpful if you listed the following if you can ….

1. The cpu you have

2. The amount of ram you have

3. The amount of ram the browser uses

4. The cpu load while running the browser

It makes it easier to compare browsers apples to apples. Something that is very fast on a new high performance system maybe slow on an old slow system or vice versa. Also you may keep in mind there are fair number of older systems that have plenty of ram but can’t handle the cpu load. So you may want to favor lower cpu load with high ram use over high cpu load with low ram usage. Or at least realize you may be making this tradeoff.

I will start for example.

Browser=Opera
    Cpu= i7-2630QM
    Ram= 6 gigs
    Ram during use=???
    Cpu load during use=????

Unfortunately I can’t answer the ??? stuff since I pulled the motherboard of the laptop to replace the power jack. The repair is more difficult than I expected so I won’t be able to get that info to you in a timely manner 🙂 .

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by mroot.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by mroot.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by mroot.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.