Default browser

Forum Forums News Announcements Default browser

This topic contains 62 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by greyowl May 17-6:37 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

greyowl

I use the latest Firefox Quantum from Mozilla. With hardware-accereration / threading enabled, it’s hands down the fastest full-featured browser I’ve used. I tried Palemoon a month or so ago when I was still having trouble setting up Flash and getting sound to work w/o PulseAudio (both resolved now), but Palemoon was crash-prone. It and Seamonkey were both noticably much slower than Quantum. One thing I discovered today happened to be that hardware acceleration seems to work best when “backingstore” is enabled in X and the windowmanager, which seems to eliminate the occasional lag when switching desktops.

I’m interested in your discovery of how to get hardware acceleration to work better. I would like to try this, but don’t know how to make the changes.
    Please explain how to enable backingstore in X and windowmangarer (I use Ice WM).

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

X180A

I installed Pale Moon on two old computers running antiX. It worked out so well that I recently installed Pale Moon on my contemporary Windows 10 laptop. I like it.

greyowl

On that tip about Firefox Quantum, I grabbed the executable from Mozilla and fired it up. There’s an audio glitch (I haven’t got PulseAudio), but aside from that I have to say this version of Firefox is amazing (using it now). I’ve got legacy hardware (Dell desktop, 2 GB RAM). It’s totally responsive without the lag I get from most all other browsers. Okay, I haven’t run it through paces or done stress tests…but just to confirm Wildstar84’s post, this might be something to look at. See if others have the same experience.

I’m interested in trying Firefox Quantum, but don’t know how to install it.
    Is it available in some repos?
    Do you have to remove FF esr before installing it?
    Thanks for the help.

malanrich

On that tip about Firefox Quantum, I grabbed the executable from Mozilla and fired it up. There’s an audio glitch (I haven’t got PulseAudio), but aside from that I have to say this version of Firefox is amazing (using it now). I’ve got legacy hardware (Dell desktop, 2 GB RAM). It’s totally responsive without the lag I get from most all other browsers. Okay, I haven’t run it through paces or done stress tests…but just to confirm Wildstar84’s post, this might be something to look at. See if others have the same experience.

I’m interested in trying Firefox Quantum, but don’t know how to install it.
    Is it available in some repos?
    Do you have to remove FF esr before installing it?
    Thanks for the help.

Try this: https://itsfoss.com/firefox-quantum-ubuntu/ [Gives advice for Linux folks in general about installing quantum. It links to the Mozilla site (a large greenish link “Download Firefox Quantum”). At the Mozilla site, download Quantum (large green “Download Now”). It’s a zipped file. When you unzip it in the directory where you want it, you’ll see an executable: “firefox.” Clicking that will launch quantum. You do not have to touch your other install of Firefox. If you want to replace it, there is some advice about that on that firefox-quantum-ubuntu link.]

On sound: If you don’t have PulseAudio installed, you’ll get no sound. If you want sound, install pulseaudio from synaptic. Once installed, open a terminal and type “pulseaudio –start” After that, you should have sound.

As Anti says, post RAM usage stats. (I will too but I’m not on that computer at the moment.)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by malanrich.
    caprea
    caprea

You can also install firefox quantum with the package installer in control-centre.
    Choose “Latest firefox from mozilla”.
    Here it does not use more or less ram than firefox esr, I think.

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

For those using non-English. How easy is it to set palemoon or seamonkey to use another language?

Localization for Seamonkey is quite straightforward.
    Palemoon is also quite easy if you follow their website.
    The two are easiest than firefox. A good point.

greyowl

I tried FF 59 Quantum. With 15 tabs open the total ram for the system is 564mb out of 2GB. It is slower than PaleMoon in opening websites. I installed PulseAudio, but still did not have any sound.

Re PulseAudo–After installing, I did pulseaudio -start in the terminal, and got the following result:
    user@antix1:~
    $ pulseaudio –start
    E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Too many arguments.
    user@antix1:~
    $ sudo pulseaudio –start
    [sudo] password for user:
    E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Too many arguments.

And still no sound.
    There is a note on the sound problem, that it will be fixed for FF version 60.

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

Simply to go along with what mroot says, as I said many times myself, CPU is the bottleneck for old hardware. Even with 1Go I could easily open many tabs with FF but CPU was almost all the time at 100%.

caprea
    caprea

@greyowl
    command is

pulseaudio --start

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

IBM T23. Non sse2 cpu. 1000 HZ pentium 3. I gig of ram < I bought a ram upgrade >

Feed back Anti is at

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=435647#p435647

Conky shows cpu usage at 50% after settling down from starting

There is a top code readout also in my post. Right now. Palemoon non sse2 rules the roost on that laptop. Adobe flashplayer is no more on that laptop either.
    Even smtube and streamlight will struggle on those specs. Just so ya know. Seamonkey works. But hammers that cpu at 100 %. So that is why prefer the palemoon build stevo’s opensuse repo provides.

Qupzilla is still on that laptop. But it can be flaky at times. Just crashes when it feels like it. With adobe flash installed. Nothing would start. Exept Links2 and Dillo.

AntiX 17 Full install on IBM T23

If you notice in my inxi readout. I have to run with graphics with Vesa. Savage driver annd a xorg update/upgrade breaks things when running the savage driver for me.
    Newer xorg says ” see ya, wouldn’t wanna be ya or see ya around here ” .

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

nonico

I only have a 32 bit computer and use Firefox Quantum exclusively since ESR stopped playing Amazon Prime Video…take that with a grain of salt. It’s much faster than ESR and uses much less resources (in my experience). I don’t “install” it. I just download it, unpack it, and run the executable (as a previous poster outlined)…I also make a .desktop file for it so it’s in my menu. It updates itself. I’m not saying this is the best way or the most secure…but that’s the way I roll. 🙂
    If I were to vote, I’d choose palemoon…

greyowl

I only have a 32 bit computer and use Firefox Quantum exclusively since ESR stopped playing Amazon Prime Video…take that with a grain of salt. It’s much faster than ESR and uses much less resources (in my experience). I don’t “install” it. I just download it, unpack it, and run the executable (as a previous poster outlined)…I also make a .desktop file for it so it’s in my menu. It updates itself. I’m not saying this is the best way or the most secure…but that’s the way I roll.
    If I were to vote, I’d choose palemoon…

?

Could you explain how you make the .desktop file so that FF Quantum is in your menu?
    Did you uninstall FF ESR?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.

greyowl

@greyowl
    command is

pulseaudio --start

Thanks–I now have sound with FF Quantum.

Is there a way to get pulseaudio to start automatically when FF Quantum opens or when the computer boots up?

nonico

?

Could you explain how you make the .desktop file so that FF Quantum is in your menu?
    Did you uninstall FF ESR?

Sure. I’ll give the easiest method (at least it is for me). 🙂

Also, I use PCManFM as my file manager, so I’m not sure if Rox and/or SpaceFM work the same.

1. I download Firefox and extract it to my Templates folder (my personal preference to put it in Templates)

2. Open your file manager as root, and go to /usr/share/applications

3. Create an empty file in the applications folder and name it something like quantum.desktop (name it whatever you want as long as the name you choose doesn’t already belong to another application…and it has to end with .desktop)

4. Open your newly created file with your text editor, and copy and paste the following into the file…please note my Exec= line. That’s the path to the executable. Replace ‘dan’ with your username and edit the path to the executable if you extract Firefox anywhere besides the Templates folder.

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Firefox Quantum
    Exec=/home/dan/Templates/firefox/firefox
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Network;
    Icon=firefox

5. Save and close the file.

Can’t remember if I had to update the menu or not…sorry.

No…I didn’t remove ESR. 🙂

X180A

Post the RAM output of quantum after you have been running it for a while.
    This is for firfox-esr c660MiB out of c735MiB total!

pmem
     Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

277.3 MiB +  36.9 MiB = 314.2 MiB	Web Content
    307.7 MiB +  40.0 MiB = 347.7 MiB	firefox-esr
    ---------------------------------
                            735.9 MiB

I get “bash: pmem: command not found”

However, I used inix and what the cpu usage in Conky tended to settle around to get the following.

$ inxi
    CPU: Single Core Intel Atom 230 (-MT-) speed: 1596 MHz
    Kernel: 4.15.9-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 Up: 1 min Mem: 131.6/2015.7 MiB (6.5%)
    HDD: 301.83 GiB (2.6% used) Procs: 118 Shell: bash 4.4.12 inxi: 2.9.08

Fresh boot, with only LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 131.6 MiB (6.5%)
    CPU load ~ 2%

Fresh boot, Pale Moon 32-bit with antixforum.com home page and LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 207.8 MiB (10.3%)
    NET RAM for browser – 76.2 MiB (3.8%)
    CPU load ~ 3%

Fresh boot, Firefox ESR with antixforum.com home page and LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 274.7 MiB (13.6%)
    NET RAM for browser – 143.1 MiB (7.1%)
    CPU load ~ 62%

I was surprised by the cpu load and I rebooted a few times and checked it over and over again. What is clear is that Firefox used about twice the RAM opening on the antiX forum home page than Pale Moon did. Firefox also used s shockingly high percentage of the CPU.

I’ve only recently started using anitX. I was a Firefox user for years. I installed antiX on an old Dell 1150 Latitude laptop with 1 MB RAM, on an old desktop with 2 MB RAM (this one), and on a new Acer laptop with 8 MB RAM. The Dell 1150 was running fine until the Firefox browser was opened. Then it was virtually unusable. Upon recommendation in the forums, I installed Pale Moon and it changed everything. Pale Moon put Firefox to shame on that old 1 MB system.

Pale Moon worked out so well I installed it on the other two systems. In both, the old desktop with 2 MB RAM and the new laptop with 8 MB RAM, Pale Moon has run noticeably faster and better than Firefox.

Perhaps someone else more sophisticated than I would be willing to do what I did. That is, compare the CPU and RAM usages with no browser running, only Pale Moon browser running, and only Firefox browser running all on the single, same system.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by X180A.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.