Default browser

Forum Forums News Announcements Default browser

This topic contains 62 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by greyowl May 17-6:37 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author

greyowl

Here are the results from Conky for my Dell latitude D610, 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM:

No Browser–CPU= 1-2% RAM= 149 mb

PaleMoon–CPU= 1-3% RAM= 379 mb

Firefox Quantum–CPU= 1-3% RAM= 377 mb

Firefox ESR–CPU= 1-4% RAM= 475 mb

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

greyowl

?

Could you explain how you make the .desktop file so that FF Quantum is in your menu?
    Did you uninstall FF ESR?

Sure. I’ll give the easiest method (at least it is for me).

Also, I use PCManFM as my file manager, so I’m not sure if Rox and/or SpaceFM work the same.

1. I download Firefox and extract it to my Templates folder (my personal preference to put it in Templates)

2. Open your file manager as root, and go to /usr/share/applications

3. Create an empty file in the applications folder and name it something like quantum.desktop (name it whatever you want as long as the name you choose doesn’t already belong to another application…and it has to end with .desktop)

4. Open your newly created file with your text editor, and copy and paste the following into the file…please note my Exec= line. That’s the path to the executable. Replace ‘dan’ with your username and edit the path to the executable if you extract Firefox anywhere besides the Templates folder.

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Firefox Quantum
    Exec=/home/dan/Templates/firefox/firefox
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Network;
    Icon=firefox

5. Save and close the file.

Can’t remember if I had to update the menu or not…sorry.

No…I didn’t remove ESR.

Thank you–it worked.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.

X180A

I went ahead and replaced Firefox ESR with Quantum and ran the test with the new browser. Here is what I got:

Fresh boot, Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (32-bit) with antixforum.com home page and LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 297.7 MiB (14.8%)
    NET RAM for browser – 164.1 MiB (8.2%)
    CPU load ~ 60%

Again, here is what I posted before:

$ inxi
    CPU: Single Core Intel Atom 230 (-MT-) speed: 1596 MHz
    Kernel: 4.15.9-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 Up: 1 min Mem: 131.6/2015.7 MiB (6.5%)
    HDD: 301.83 GiB (2.6% used) Procs: 118 Shell: bash 4.4.12 inxi: 2.9.08

Fresh boot, with only LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 131.6 MiB (6.5%)
    CPU load ~ 2%

Fresh boot, Pale Moon 32-bit with antixforum.com home page and LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 207.8 MiB (10.3%)
    NET RAM for browser – 76.2 MiB (3.8%)
    CPU load ~ 3%

Fresh boot, Firefox ESR with antixforum.com home page and LXTerminal opened:
    RAM in use – 274.7 MiB (13.6%)
    NET RAM for browser – 143.1 MiB (7.1%)
    CPU load ~ 62%

So, on this computer Quantum is actually using MORE RAM than the ESR version did. CPU usage is down a smidgen but is still horrendous at 60%. Why that is I have absolutely no idea but I suppose it is hardware and firmware related.

Something I noticed while Quantum was installing is that the installation replaced a whole bunch of my libs with Debian unstable versions. That’s not what I really wanted to do.
    I installed the “Release” version of March 26, 2018, not a Beta or Developer edition. I don’t understand how it can be the Release version if it uses Debian Sid libs.

roytobin

Firefox ESR 52.7.3 (64-bit) on a desktop with 1 GiB mem, 2-core intel atom 1.6 GHz.
    Tabs open for youtube, music.amazon.com, homedepot.com, antixforum.
    By my calc, firefox process is 693 MiB total RSS.

antix17:~/bin % ps auxww | egrep 'RSS|fire'
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    tobin    10818  0.0  0.6 159584  6360 ?        S    14:00   0:00 gksu -u tobin /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr
    tobin    10821 29.3 23.3 5459808 236188 ?      Sl   14:00   8:17 /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr
    tobin    10901 53.1 45.2 3869620 456784 ?      Rl   14:01  14:55 /usr/lib/firefox-esr/plugin-container -greomni /usr/lib/firefox-esr/omni.ja -appomni /usr/lib/firefox-esr/browser/omni.ja -appdir /usr/lib/firefox-esr/browser 10821 true tab

nonico

Thank you–it worked.

Hooray!

X180A

Firefox ESR 52.7.3 (64-bit) on a desktop with 1 GiB mem, 2-core intel atom 1.6 GHz.
    Tabs open for youtube, music.amazon.com, homedepot.com, antixforum.
    By my calc, firefox process is 693 MiB total RSS.

….and it looks like 82.4% CPU.

Maybe my results aren’t unique after all.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by X180A.
    mroot
    mroot

AntiX 17 system still down.

for comparison on my LXDE Debian laptop install which is close to AntiX 17 but somewhat heavier
    laptop is about 11-12 years old

cpu= celeron m
    Ram= 1 gig
    32 bit
    standard Debian kernel= 4.9.0 686PAE

Baseline-only Htop open
    Ram=173mb
    cpu load= 2-3%

Firefox-esr + Htop
    Ram=600-700mb
    cpu load=70-100%
    some swap usage, it stays below 5mb

Qupzilla + Htop
    Ram=302mb
    cpu load=2-3% with some spikes that do not exceed 37% load

Netsurf + Htop
    Ram= not checked
    cpu load=2-3%

I would say if you see high cpu load on your system don’t doubt the numbers.

andfree

I find it a good idea for antiX to change the default browser. I have installed antiX on three 10-15 years old kits (32-bit, P4 or celeron, 512MB or 1GB ram). Browser was the fisrt thing I changed to all of them.

After having tested many-many browsers, I came to the conlusion that Palemoon nonsse2 has the best performance, and installed it to all of the kits. It’s the lightest weight browser that does all the jobs I want (supports JS, etc) without notable problems (no crashes etc). I don’t know about menu localization, because I always use English. However, no problems with greek keyboard or greek contents. Connection with some websites fails because of security issues (it happened to me only once, see here), but I suppose it’s considered to be an advantage and not a disadvantage (see here).

System:
    Kernel: 4.9.87-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32
    Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
    Distro: antiX-17_386-base Heather Heyer 24 October 2017

CPU:
    Topology: Single Core model: Mobile Intel Celeron type: UP
    arch: Netburst Willamette rev: 7 L2 cache: 256 KB
    flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 3190
    Speed: 1595 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 1595

Total Memory: 487.8 MiB

No browser:
    cpu load: 3.3%
    ram used: 70.5

Palemoon (blank page):
    cpu while loading: 91% (max)
    cpu after loading: 3.3% (on average)
    ram used: 116

Palemoon (antiX forum homepage):
    cpu while & after loading: 100%
    ram used: 145

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by andfree.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by andfree.
    koolstofje
    koolstofje

17.1 3Ghz 16Gb ram

No browser CPU 0.7%

Default Browser – Seamonkey (blank page)
    CPU 4%
    ram 153

Seamonkey (antix forum)
    CPU 51%
    ram 240

Antix-viewer (blank page)
    CPU 0,8%
    ram 62

antiX-viewer (antix forum)
    CPU 8.3%
    ram 101

greyowl

I’ve been comparing PaleMoon and FF Quantum.

Palemoon seems to have a problem with jerky, delayed scrolling on some websites. I mentioned this on the palemoon forum and they blamed the website. FF and FF Quantum do not have a problem on these websites and are able to scroll smoothly and responsively.

Also, Palemoon cannot play movies from http://www.hoopladigital.com. It may have something to do with ability to use DRM. FF plays them with no problem. Quantum plays them more smoothly than FF ESR.

I have been primarily using Palemoon for its speed and responsiveness. However, I considering switch to FF Quantum so I have a browser that will do everything well.

rob

Would it be worth hanging out until May to see how ESR 60.0 behaves before making a decision?

As everything stands right now, I would say pretty well anything but firefox ESR as the default. Probably quantum ahead of palemoon if they were the options, just because of greater support for currently maintained addons.

But this may change as of May, when the current ESR (based on Firefox 52, from March last year) will be replaced when Firefox ESR v60.0 is released. It will based upon Firefox 60, and should bring many performance benefits along with it.

Observations :

This is all based on what it does on my eeepc. (900MHz Celeron M – 2 Gig ram).

2 gig is plenty of ram for these purposes, but the single core, not so much, so I would happily trade a little more RAM to lower CPU usage. (This is an example of a cpu bound system such as mroot was talking about).

Firefox quantum and palemoon both load the page faster than ESR, with lower CPU usage. For some reason ESR was also using a fair bit of CPU at idle. Palemoon and quantum are in the same neighborhood for cpu usage, but palemoon does have a slight edge in memory usage.

Usage : Asus eeepc – single core 900MHz Celeron M – 2 Gig ram

Immediately after booting to ice-wm desktop and manually enabling wifi and conky.

Total memory used : 45,7M
    CPU at idle : ~2%

For each browser, clean reboot to ice-wm desktop, (manually turn on wifi & enable conky), and go to antixlinux.com

Firefox ESR
    CPU while loading page : stuck at 100%
    CPU at idle after page finishes loading : ~20%
    Total memory used : 177M

Firefox Quantum
    CPU while loading page : ~90%
    CPU at idle after page finishes loading : ~2-5%
    Total memory used : 196M

Palemoon
    CPU while loading page : ~90%
    CPU at idle after page finishes loading : ~2-5%
    Total memory used : 162M

mowest
    mowest

Will Firefox ESR 60.0 be updated on AntiX 17.1 (based on stable) when it is released on 5/9/18? Or will this have to wait for a later Debian stable release?

I use Firefox ESR and Dillo as installed on AntiX 17.1, I have found them to work well with my current hardware.

andfree

System:
    Kernel: 4.9.87-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32
    Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
    Distro: antiX-17_386-base Heather Heyer 24 October 2017

CPU:
    Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium 4 type: UP arch: Netburst Willamette
    rev: 7 L2 cache: 512 KB
    flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 5585
    Speed: 2793 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 2793

Total Memory: 1002.8 MiB

No browser:
    cpu load: 0.7-2%
    ram used: 52.5

Palemoon (blank page):
    cpu while loading: 10% (max)
    cpu after loading: 0.7-2%
    ram used: 107

Palemoon (antiX forum homepage):
    cpu while loading: 95.4% (max)
    cpu after loading: 60-75%
    ram used: 133-140

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Will Firefox ESR 60.0 be updated on AntiX 17.1 (based on stable) when it is released on 5/9/18? Or will this have to wait for a later Debian stable release?

I use Firefox ESR and Dillo as installed on AntiX 17.1, I have found them to work well with my current hardware.

My guess is. If Debian Stretch uploads it to their repos. Then we will see it. It is up to the Debian Package maintainers. Not us.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

masinick
    masinick

Whether Firefox shows up in Debian or not, interested individuals can grab Firefox from the Mozilla Firefox download site, or if they prefer, they can add Mozilla Firefox repository to their repository list.

Contact me individually if you do not know what to do or how to get the version of Firefox that you want to use and I will provide details and/or guidance.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.