Default browser

Forum Forums News Announcements Default browser

This topic contains 86 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by 0day Aug 17-3:32 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author

greyowl

I have been reading about the sound issue with FF and the change from Alsa to PulseAudio for Linux. See: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

Would this be a detractor from having FF Quantum as the default browser?

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

masinick
    masinick

I would like to see a return of the SeaMonkey browsing suite.

I checked out several of the alternatives mentioned.

Palemoon used the least amount of memory and CPU of the major options, so if this is the most important factor then Palemoon should have high consideration.

SeaMonkey came in second in terms of resources utilized.

Firefox releases from 57 (Quantum) forward performed much better than Firefox 52 ESR, so if Firefox 60 is the next ESR release, that is a good sign.

I’ve used both Firefox and SeaMonkey for many years, including a lot of the daily builds and I can vouch for them. When we choose a derivative of either of these classic code bases, such as a Palemoon derivative or some other Mozilla offshoot, current code and security updates may represent a concern unless we have people capable of merging current security changes into the source code.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

masinick
    masinick

I found resource consumption of the Palemoon and Firefox similar to the numbers that greyowl reported.

I didn’t encounter issues, but the items mentioned by greyowl, combined with less rigorous support than found in the standard Mozilla based products are consistent with my concerns about the code support and testing in Palemoon or other browsers with similar history. The amount of testing that both SeaMonkey and Firefox enjoy are of significant importance, perhaps more than the amount of memory saved by using other alternatives.

Given this, if we want to stick with Firefox, use the most current release available when we issue our next system but or go to the somewhat more resource conservative SeaMonkey.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Yeah. I went with Seamonkey 1st because of the pulse audio firefox default new feature for having sound.
    If we decide p4 is the minimum requirement to run AntiX Full Iso.
    I see no problem.
    Maybe include some different browser option in base iso and mention it is for p3 or p2 systems.

That is my take on all of this. By the way. The main site Anti for AntiX? The forum link on the L/H side takes you to the old forum. Just a mention is all.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

X180A

…If we decide p4 is the minimum requirement to run AntiX Full Iso. I see no problem. Maybe include some different browser option in base iso and mention it is for p3 or p2 systems.

I like that idea. I can tell you that the performance difference between Firefox and Palemoon on my older systems was the determining factor. So far I have only done a couple of Full installations and a few installations of Base. However, on those systems running the Base one of the first things I did was remove Firefox and replace it with Palemoon. It was not a matter of preference but more a matter of necessity.

I’m happy with antiX the way it is. The people behind the project have done a wonderful job. Still, it’s worth mentioning that I only first heard of Palemoon and Seamonkey on this forum after I described how Firefox brought antiX to a standstill on an old laptop.

AntiX and MX are both great OSes. But if I have a machine powerful enough to run Firefox quickly and smoothly without consuming a lot of resources why would I choose to install antiX on that machine instead of MX? Or to look at it the other way, wouldn’t the deciding factors used in choosing antiX over MX also apply when choosing between a low overhead browser and Firefox?

masinick
    masinick

One additional comment regarding browsers:

The primary audience I believe that we should be concerned about when selecting the browser of choice is:

1. The new user
    2. The user with limited resources on their aging system

While I personally believe that the first item (the new user) is the most important, the second one (limited
    resources) is a close second – and possibly the main criteria if we go back to the origins of antiX.

Whatever we do, I’m fine with it because I have the capability to download and install whatever I want.
    For example, just prior to writing this note (on MX-17 today), I went out and manually downloaded Waterfox
    (a Firefox-based alternative) and entered several manual steps in order to add the additional Waterfox repo,
    set the repo key, configure, and then install; no problem. People who have such skills do not need any
    specific consideration, except for their knowledge and suggestions.

I trust completely in those who will make the final decision from the comments and ideas provided.

Brian Masinick

roytobin

Hi,
    Based on tip in this thread, I tried Firefox 59 (quantum). Wow.

Desktop with 1 GiB mem, 2.1 GB swap partition, 2-core intel atom 1.6 GHz.

Speedwise, ff 59 makes this wimpy machine tolerable. Browsing response
    is noticeably improved over ff 52 ESR, the out-of-box default for antix17.
    ff 59 hasn’t crashed or misrendered yet, and I’ve been using since Apr 4,
    2018 when I heard about it (thanks wildstar84).

One does need to get audio working with ff 59 manually.

To others with such wimpy machines considering antiX: if you can, give
    the OS some swap. Best is a raw partition on hard disk rather than a swap
    file on some filesystem. This allows the OS to move inactive pages out of
    RAM to disk (paging), freeing more RAM for the active tabs of browsing.
    Idea: have AntiX installer suggest a swap partition if RAM is less than
    1.5 GB and user intends to attempt “heavyweight” browsing?

To antiX captains: thanks for soliciting community input. firefox 59 and
    pulseaudio are good. The “base” iso file fitting on CD (not DVD) is good.
    One can always install more/different software later via GUI or CLI.

roytobin

seaken64

I always use Seamonkey. Good on resources and still supports some FF add-ons.

Sean

BobC

Palemoon downloaded 104 mb. Antix-viewer is required anyway, which brings in QT5, so would there be major savings by using a QT5 webkit based browser?

I see Otter, Opera’s replacement, is testing, but not in repos that I know of. I didn’t try it, just wondering. I did try the appimage but it says the openssl is not installed. It looks like it wants an older version, ie not 1.1. Getting it to work otherwise is probably beyond my ability unless its in a repo or something.

I see the version of Qupzilla is 1.89 in the repo, and when I tried it a couple years ago it wasn’t stable, but am trying the 2.2.6 current version just to see if its better. I downloaded the appimage to run just to test it,to see if the webkit is now stable, because before all the webkit based browsers had trouble. It was 88 mb. So far, so good, no crashes and this machine is pretty stressed. Too bad its moving to KDE I guess.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by BobC.

bobbiecb

I’m new here and been playing around with the browsers to find out which works best for me.

First — thank you to the antiX team for making so many browsers available (via Package Manager and Synaptic). Well done!

Second — Informal Feedback based on my use —

Opera — fast and good page rendering. Plus a cool look and a couple nice features like integrated ad-blocker and free vpn. My choice.
    Chromimium/Slimjet — fast and good page rendering. It’s good to turn off anti-privacy settings deep in the Advanced tab. My 2nd choice
    Firefox ESR/Palemoon — fast and good page rendering. Probably not as fast as Opera or Chromium/Slimjet
    Dillo and Netsurf — fast but don’t render most pages correctly. I wouldn’t normally use these.
    Qupzilla — blew up on me using 2 different computers. Fast but flaky (at least in my use of it).

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

In addition to speed may I suggest to add privacy to the quality a web browser should have?
    I’m more concerned about speed as I love using old hardware but somebody on MX french forum spoke about Abrowser, the native Trisquel web browser, boasting its privacy policy.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by cyrilus31.

keanu-reeves

I have tried all the Browsers from the default Antix Packages on three different Computers. (Pentium M 1400 mhz 756 mb ram, Atom single core 1.6 ghz 2 gb ram, Core M 2 ghz 8 gb ram)

On all of them Opera and Chromium ran the snappiest and had the lowest CPU usage and good ram usage.
    The default Browser (Firefox) ran by far the worst of all the options.

There is also another guy who did a comparison here:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/battle-of-the-browsers-in-cpu-and-memory-usage/2/

I can confirm that his results are more or less the same as mine. With one exception. His Firefox Version ran faster than the default Antix version of firefox.

Challene
    Challene

Hello!

In my opinion SeaMonkey is better. But maybe you’ll find better browser. Anyway, thanks for your big and good work on distro, well done!

mroot
    mroot

Okay, power jack is finally repaired. Here is my system info and testing.

cpu= i7-2630qm
    system ram= 6gigs
    Os= AntiX 17 64bit

Baseline= AntiX + psensor only
    cpu load= 1%
    ram used= 258mb

AntiX + Opera with 4 tabs + psensor
    cpu load= 1%
    ram used= 721mb

AntiX + Firefox-esr with 4 tabs + psensor
    cpu load= 6% (varies in 5-7% range)
    ram used= 682mb

I also want to note strange behavior with Firefox-esr. After all tabs are loaded and I try to open the Bookmarks menu the computer becomes very sluggish. I move the cursor down along the list and the highlighted selection doesn’t move with the cursor. I get lags that reach several seconds. It happens randomly and it doesn’t seem to be connected with the number of tabs or having cpu intensive websites in those tabs. Now I have lots of bookmarks probably hundreds so maybe this has something to do with it. I also have a KDE Debian 8 install on the same hardware and Firefox-esr also exhibits the same behavior on it. It makes Firefox feel at times like I am running it on p3 with low ram. Opera runs better on my non-typical AntiX system.

-mroot

Silver347

Hi Im new to AntiX and I got interested in this OS pretty quickly but I want to say since I did a lot of research on some main Linux browsers I believe that SlimJet (made from Chromium) would be a fairly good choice since not only is stable but pretty lightweight and easy to use,or even QtWeb (even tho the project was probably closed and no longer in development) the last update was about 5 years ago but I have still tested this browser and I can run Flash content with ease and the requirements are…128mb or RAM and CPU usage if also pretty low for that too…so if you want you can give it a try also supports User Agent,slim AdBlocker and many optimisable options it was made from Webkit and Nokia framework which,also supports Linux,Windows,Mac and FreeBSD even I already checked it maybe you should as well,also another ok browser is Midori I am using it currently for loading mostly Flash content and web pages and it does a good job in it so you could check that one out as well,another one (sorry for writting these “bibles”) but palemoon as you mentioned is quite good as well and I think its probably “somewhat a good choice” but Im leaving it all up to you Admin,also I love this OS possibly the best one out there,keep up the good work.

My PC specifications:
    CPU: Intel Celeron 440 (Single-core)
    RAM: 2GB (DDR2)
    GPU: GT210 (512MB) (PCIe)
    MOTHERBOARD: sorta forgot
    HDD: 80GB
    Power supply: about 350w or even more I dunno
    Thanks for reading!
    Slavko Savković (Croatia)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.