Default browser

Forum Forums News Announcements Default browser

This topic contains 86 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by 0day Aug 17-3:32 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Silver347

also excuse me for some mispelled words I barely speak English

fungalnet
    fungalnet

Thanks for all the data on browsers but numbers alone can never tell a story.
    Palemoon this past few days/weeks, has declared noscript a potentially hazardous addon “breaking pages” and “causing instability” with the browser. There is not much feedback on why or how this happens and for as long as I have been using pm never happened to me, but I welcome broken pages that I insist that allow them blindly to run scripts on my system. It is why I use no script instead of nothing.

So, based on this warning I considered pm broken and have been looking for an alternative to run noscript on.
    One thing I am trying (trying to migrate to) is waterfox, based on ff57 but cleaned up a bit. I can’t say it is better, worse, than pm, but at least it is not warning me “TO NOT USE” what makes browsing secure.

greyowl

You could consider using uBlock Origin with PaleMoon instead of NoScript. I seems to work fine and deals with scripts.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

andfree

During last days, I see there are some problems both in Palemoon (yahoo mail toolbar inactive buttons) & Seamonkey (i-bank account logon credentials unrecognition, user agent switcher incompatibility). I wrote about them here & here. After having come to the conclusion that there’s not an “ideal” browser, I find the idea of offering some different browser option more attractive.

You could consider using uBlock Origin with PaleMoon

Any help how to install it, please?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by andfree.
    Jesse
    Jesse

@andfree

Here is a guide to installing uBlock in Palemoon. (I haven’t used it, so I cannot speak to its validity)

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19024

stay updated with

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/ (Also haven’t used this, so same disclaimer as above)

rainydayshirts.bandcamp.com | Audio
    rainydayshirts.deviantart.com | Visual

Barnabyh

I would definitely vote for Seamonkey. It uses less resources than running a browser and email separately and I like the fact that it appears both modern enough and yet still traditional due to coming as a suite. It’s easy to customize and there are a ton of plugins and light themes to make it look more modern, even if not quite as many as FF and not all that have been written for FF are available and working in SM.

Palemoon has always crashed for me here, except in Puppy. For a stand-alone all-purpose browser, hate it or not, I would always suggest Chromium or even Google-Chrome these days, set up with a menu entry for Private Browsing Mode to launch directly.

Barnabyh

^The Palemoon crashes were always encountered when attempting to play multimedia content embedded in websites, so YMMV. Even with plugins disabled.

andfree

Here is a guide to installing uBlock in Palemoon.

Many thanks. I installed both uBlock & the updater.

The Palemoon crashes were always encountered when attempting to play multimedia content embedded in websites

Could you give a webpage example for testing? Common Palemoon crashed sometimes for me, too. But Palemoon nonsse2 never does.

Barnabyh

Here is a guide to installing uBlock in Palemoon.

Many thanks. I installed both uBlock & the updater.

The Palemoon crashes were always encountered when attempting to play multimedia content embedded in websites

Could you give a webpage example for testing? Common Palemoon crashed sometimes for me, too. But Palemoon nonsse2 never does.

The videos on ntv.de are one example. It’s quite random but happens at some point during video playback, not always immediately.

andfree

Thank you.
    The laptop I use is about 15 years old (P4, 1GB RAM).
    Firefox-ESR and Seamonkey don’t seem they are going to play the videos. I waited for minutes and they always seem to load/prepare a video, but they never play it.
    Palemoon nonsse2 played all the videos I tested (about 10), with some jerkiness, but without any other problems. And it never crashed.

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

Thank you.
    The laptop I use is about 15 years old (P4, 1GB RAM).
    Firefox-ESR and Seamonkey don’t seem they are going to play the videos. I waited for minutes and they always seem to load/prepare a video, but they never play it.
    Palemoon nonsse2 played all the videos I tested (about 10), with some jerkiness, but without any other problems. And it never crashed.

That’s not a normal behaviour I think. My laptop is a 15 years old dell (P4, 1 Go recently upgraded to 2 Go, 32Mo Radeon 7500 GPU) and “normal” palemoon version never crashed.
    I will try Barnabyh link to confirm.

masinick
    masinick

For what it’s worth, the only instabilities of any kind that I’ve seen appear to be caused by less than optimal versions of video graphics drivers that have nothing whatsoever to do with Web browsers.

That said, I pulled in my own version of Waterfox and avoided problems I’ve seen that appear to be caused by video drivers.

I’ve now picked up different graphical video drivers and I’ll investigate their impact on system stability too. Other than that, most browsers have done the job fine for me.

Brian Masinick

andfree

That’s not a normal behaviour I think.

It’s exactly the same with the other laptop I use (celeron, 512MB RAM). Firefox-ESR never starts playing videos, Palemoon nonsse2 plays all of them and never crashes. Seamonkey is not installed on this laptop.

This (second) laptop has an ATI/Radeon card & driver, while the previous one has an NVIDIA GeForce4 card & nouveau driver, but they seem to behave the same way.

hosh

Regarding the use of browsers in other languages: Chromium-based browsers have in right mouse click context menu an option to change the writing direction (right-to-left / left-to-right). Gecko browsers and PaleMoon (whose engine is based though not identical to Gecko) don’t have this option – at least not by default – maybe there’s something that you can do which I don’t know about. This option is important for speakers of Right to Left languages who are working in a dual language environment. For example I use Disroot.org’s email service, which uses RainLoop, and cannot compose an email properly in Hebrew unless I use a Chromium based browser. Gmail and Fastmail have RTL direction arrows built into their webmail interface, so no problem with those.

In every other way, Palemoon has served me well. Vivaldi is excellent, but that would be too heavy for some computers, I think. Beaker browser, with peer-to-peer self-hosting built in, could be an interesting option to explore – I’m not sure if any other Linux Distro has that.

It’s surprising that Firefox ESR uses more resources than Seamonkey, which, I think, is built on much of the same code. Or does the newest version of Seamonkey released in May go the same way? I haven’t checked.

masinick
    masinick

Seamonkey has always used fewer resources than Firefox – and definitely fewer resources than the combination of Firefox and Thunderbird both running at the same time. I believe the reason is that there is probably more natively compiled code in C or C++ in Seamonkey, versus a larger percentage of interpretive code in Firefox and Thunderbird. The tradeoff is speed and less resource consumption (Seamonkey) versus flexibility and ease of adding the most current changes (Firefox in particular).

I could be wrong about this, but the Mozilla projects do have their own “language” which I believe has some interpretive code. It runs well but can potentially consume more memory, and possibly more CPU as well.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.