dell d630 wifi bookworm [solved]

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions dell d630 wifi bookworm [solved]

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Apr 28-4:59 am by abc-nix.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bobhund

Hi I have tried to get my dell d630 up and running with bookworm. Never been an issue before with Debian, but this time I have not been able to make wifi work. I have tried all what I could find in the debian wiki, only to completely make the wifi disapeer, and only having an ethernet.

But browsing the interwebs I seem to have found that antix is able to make the d630 wife work with bookworm? Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by bobhund.
      bobhund

I tried the antix live cd, and it does not seem to support it out of the box. I dont know how to use the neworking tools on the CD is there a guide?

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Post a readout while running live so members can see what is going on.

inxi -Fxz

I deleted your double post. Howdy and Welcome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

vance

Hope you don’t mind me posting on this thread. I have a Dell Latitude D531 with what I think is the same problem. It has a Broadcom BCM4311 wireless card. My research has led me to believe that this card has been orphaned by both Microsoft & Linux. I’d love though to be found to be incorrect. My system information is displayed below:

demo@antix1:~
            $ inxi -Fxz
            System:
              Kernel: 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1-runit_x64-full Arditi
                del Popolo 26 January 2024 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
            Machine:
              Type: Portable System: Dell product: Latitude D531 v: N/A
                serial: <superuser required>
              Mobo: Dell model: 0XM006 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell v: A00
                date: 04/23/2007
            Battery:
              ID-1: BAT0 charge: 73.0 Wh (100.0%) condition: 73.0/73.3 Wh (99.6%)
                volts: 12.2 min: 11.1 model: FLT DELL-D820 status: full
            CPU:
              Info: dual core model: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 bits: 64 type: MCP
                arch: K8 rev: 1 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB
              Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/2000 cores: 1: 800 2: 800
                bogomips: 7980
              Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm
            Graphics:
              Device-1: AMD RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270] vendor: Dell
                driver: radeon v: kernel arch: R400 bus-ID: 01:05.0
              Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: radeon
                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: r300 gpu: radeon
                resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
              API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,r300,swrast platforms:
                active: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device inactive: wayland
              API: OpenGL v: 2.1 vendor: x.org mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4
                direct-render: yes renderer: ATI RS690
            Audio:
              Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                bus-ID: 00:14.2
              API: ALSA v: k6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api
              Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.1 status: active
            Network:
              Device-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
                vendor: Dell driver: tg3 v: kernel port: N/A bus-ID: 09:00.0
              IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
              Device-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN vendor: Dell Wireless 1390
                driver: b43-pci-bridge v: N/A bus-ID: 0b:00.0
              IF-ID-1: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
            Bluetooth:
              Device-1: Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
                bus-ID: 5-2:2
              Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: disabled
                rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
            Drives:
              Local Storage: total: 76.41 GiB used: 1.64 GiB (2.1%)
              ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Fujitsu model: MHW2080BH size: 74.53 GiB
              ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: SMI (STMicroelectronics) model: USB size: 1.88 GiB
                type: USB
            Partition:
            Swap:
              Alert: No swap data was found.
            Sensors:
              System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: SODIMM C
              Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 0
            Info:
              Processes: 140 Uptime: 3m Memory: total: 2.5 GiB note: est.
              available: 2.29 GiB used: 401.5 MiB (17.1%) Init: runit runlevel: 2
              Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Packages: 1713 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.31
            $

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rokytnji.
            abc-nix

For network information you use the command
              inxi -naz
              inxi is a CLI application/program that gathers all relevant device and system information. The options used are:
              n – for network related information
              a – for all info related to the network devices
              z – to hide private information (like MAC Address, IP, etc.).

The relevant part to identify a device is the chip-ID. This ID has 2 parts separated by a colon symbol (:). The first identifies the manufacturer, the second the model. With this information you can properly search for topics related to those devices, be it drivers, firmware, Linux support, etc.

About Broadcom network chips. The wireless support for these devices can be problematic. Related kernel modules (what people call drivers) for these devices are blacklisted in antiX because they cause compatibility problems with other similar devices. You can use the “Network Assistant” program to temporarily or permanently whitelist and load these “drivers”. But in this case, it may be much easier.

See this topic, for a Dell Latitude D620. Reinstalling the firmware-b43-installer package could solve the issue easily. If you cannot reinstall because of lack of internet connection, you can enable USB tethering on your smartphone while connected to the laptop using a USB cable, and internet will work temporarily.

vance

Thank you @abc-nix. I’ll give your ideas a try when I have some time.

bobhund

This is what I get

$ inxi -naz
                  Network:
                      vendor: Dell driver: tg3 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
                      port: N/A bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:1673 class-ID: 0200
                    IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                    Device-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11a/b/g vendor: Dell Wireless 1490 Dual
                      Band WLAN Mini-Card driver: b43-pci-bridge v: N/A modules: ssb,wl pcie:
                      gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 0c:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:4312
                      class-ID: 0280

The official resources I have tried that did not work are,

https://wiki.debian.org/wl

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

abc-nix

Thanks, @bobhund. The following suggestions can be run on live USB.

Based on a light search, you need to remove and then install again the firmware-b43-installer package (first try what I suggested of using your phone to get internet access) to get the wireless firmware correctly installed.

`sudo rfkill unlock -all
                    sudo apt purge firmware-b43-installer
                    sudo apt update
                    sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer
                    sudo apt reinstall firmware-b43-installer`

Based on linux-hardware, only the wl module (which you already tried based on your post) and the b43-pci-bridge module work for this device.

Once you have reinstalled the firmware for Broadcom, try to unload and reload the b43-pci-bridge module.

sudo modprobe -r b43-pci-bridge
                    sudo modprobe b43-pci-bridge

And see if the wireless network is working. If it isn’t, then try the instructions you linked for wl wireless module on Debian.
                    On that article, after step 2-3, on step 5 also unload the b43-pci-bridge module (missing in that article). Continue with step 6 and see if the wl module works.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by abc-nix.
                    bobhund

So I did all of the above (including unblock instead of unlock). inxi -naz command. And follow witht the last two steps, but got this…

e b43
                      $ inxi -naz
                      Network:
                          vendor: Dell driver: tg3 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
                          port: N/A bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:1673 class-ID: 0200
                        IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
                        Device-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11a/b/g vendor: Dell Wireless 1490 Dual
                          Band WLAN Mini-Card driver: b43-pci-bridge v: N/A modules: ssb,wl pcie:
                          gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 0c:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:4312
                          class-ID: 0280
                      $ sudo modprobe -r b43-pci-bridge
                      modprobe: FATAL: Module b43-pci-bridge not found.

abc-nix

Sorry, @bobhund. You are right. Even though it shows “b43-pci-bridge” driver, it responds to the b43 module. So the original instructions by madibi should be correct.

sudo modprobe -r b43
                        sudo modprobe b43
                        bobhund

I tried followling the wl instruction but came to an end. Maybe it has to do with the not signed part, which I do not really understand.

ng signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG DB36CDF3452F0C20 antiX Linux repo <repo@antixlinux.com>
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          W: GPG error: http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/bookworm bookworm InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG DB36CDF3452F0C20 antiX Linux repo <repo@antixlinux.com>
                          E: The repository 'http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/bookworm bookworm InRelease' is not signed.
                          N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
                          N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
                          $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree... Done
                          Reading state information... Done
                          E: Unable to locate package linux-image-amd64-smp
                          E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-amd64-smp

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by bobhund.
                          abc-nix

For step 2, you only need to install the broadcom-sta-dkms package, as the linux headers are already present in antiX.
                            If it is already installed, reinstall it with
                            sudo apt install --reinstall broadcom-sta-dkms

The GPG key error should be solved soon, but it should not affect getting Debian based packages like broadcom-sta-dkms

bobhund

It worked! thank you so much. this was really important to get the laptop working.

Bobhund

bobhund

Sorry, @bobhund. You are right. Even though it shows “b43-pci-bridge” driver, it responds to the b43 module. So the original instructions by madibi should be correct.

sudo modprobe -r b43
                                sudo modprobe b43

This did it.

vance

Thanks @abc-nix! Your info with what you also then provided to @bobhund got my wireless working. Using Synaptic to see what was installed related to the Broadcom BCM43XX, I also noticed the legacy driver installed. Namely firmware-b43legacy-installer. I seem to remember in the past I had an issue where the Broadcom wireless I was trying to get to work didn’t like having that one installed so I uninstalled it also. I don’t know if that made a difference or not but my wireless is now working! The notebook had a wired connection also so I didn’t have to use your suggestion of my smartphone tethered via USB as the internet but that’s a good idea for me for future reference.
                                  Thanks again!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.