Dell latitude D600 EXTREMELY slow after install.

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Dell latitude D600 EXTREMELY slow after install.

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-8:29 pm by Robin.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    krikette

Hello friends,

I’ve been trying to revive old laptop and has made that as a hobby lately. I have a Dell latitude D600 right now and just installed the x386 last version of Antix. It took hours to install to be honest.

Now it is installed but it is so slow it is absolutely unusable as such. The CPU is not near at all being fully used and the RAM (256mb) is not quite near 100% usage either. What makes this soooooooooooooooooooooo slow ? Like I click somewhere it takes between 3 seconds best best case to 20 seconds to react…

I wasn’t expecting a racing machine . Do you guys have any suggestions ? I’m tired of distro hopping and Antix being so praised I was hoping it would make me stop distrohopping. I’m willing to look for solutions though !

Is it because the HDD is slow ?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by rokytnji.
    krikette
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

OK i don’t know what happened… Well don’t bother. I’ll update here if I have any other issue instead of spamming the forum

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I recommend you use a minimal-icewm desktop (menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > minimal-icewm) to disable all the startup programs, disable the desktop-icon management and the conky and save a bit on RAM.
    If you can get a RAM upgrade (if possible)

Next time, you can share with us the output of
    inxi -Fxz
    Se we can have an idea of your hardware and drivers being used.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi krikette, it is not the harddisk sooo sloooow, although faster is better.

Not enough memory….. To get satisfactory performance “You need RAM”.

Dell D600 Manual says you can upgrade memory to a maximum of 2GB, (2 1GB Modules)that is fine
    for running antiX.

Depending on what you already have you might be able to install a faster processor.
    In any case please ensure the cooling fan and heat exchange fins of cooling module are clean.
    DO NOT blow with compressed air, you are likely to overspeed or exploded the fan.
    Service mabnual is easy to find but unless you are used to working on laptops may lack
    in detailed descriptions.

krikette
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for your answers.

It indeed seems to be the RAM that is too low. Not the fault of Antix indeed.

It is disappointing that in order to use somewhat recent software, it is absolutely impossible with 256mb of RAM but that was very likely obvious.
    I guess I’ll upgrade it to 2 GB.

I am doing this whole hobby because I am convinced by the environmental necessity of stopping to produce new devices and instead recycle the old ones so I was aiming to be able to use it as such but I guess… It’s probably a bit too optimistic and… Just adding the RAM instead of throwing it away is still better I guess !

krikette
    Helpful
    Up

I will do that nonetheless and share !

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

>>> Just adding the RAM instead of throwing it away is still better I guess

Unfortunately, even with max capacity “2GB” RAM, the D600 hardware specs will leave you bottlenecked.

266MHz DDR1 RAM
    200 MHz grapics controller
    400MHz FSB

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

I’m fine with 2GB RAM, on both, RIM2000 Notebook with 32bit intel M 1,7 GHz and on an ECS K7s5a board with 32bit athlon XP 1,6GHz. antiX 19.3 on the notebook, and 17.4.1 on the other one. No slowdown seen here anymore since recent kernel update to 4.19.184-antix.1-686-smp-pae, even when working with some more heavy programs at the same time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.