“.desktop” Shortcut Icons

Forum Forums antiX-development Development “.desktop” Shortcut Icons

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 20-7:41 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripemarcelocripe

Translated title: “.desktop” Shortcut Icons

I noticed that in the shortcut icon “claws-mail.desktop”, it has translations for several languages, but the translated texts are not displayed in the sub menu in the respective languages.

In tests I did with the root administrator powers, when I removed “Generic” from “GenericName”, keeping only “Name”, I saved the file and applied the command in the $ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global terminal, the menu started to be displayed immediately with the correct translation for the language that is configured in antiX. In the tests I did, translations in Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish worked.

My doubts are:

Do all programs packaged by the antiX community use “GenericName” or just “Name”?

If the tests I did are correct, antiX programs that have shortcut icons with “GenericName” instead of “Name [pt_BR]” do not display the translation due to this important detail.

Some shortcut icons in the “/usr/share/applications” folder that I analyzed:

The shortcut icons that have “GenericName”: claws-mail.desktop, ceni.desktop, badwolf.desktop, google-chrome.desktop, gtkam.desktop, htop.desktop.

Shortcut icons that have “Name[pt_BR]” and do not have “GenericName”: firefox.desktop, formatusb.desktop, gksu.desktop, add-key.desktop, antiXCC.desktop, desktop-defaults-follow.desktop.

Shortcut icons that have “Name[pt_BR]” and have “GenericName[pt_BR]”: gimp.desktop.

Observations: “gksu.desktop” is missing the Name[pt] language, so it does not display for PPC in the European Portuguese language. “Gtkam.desktop” does not have Name [pt] and Name[pt_BR], Name[es] and several other languages. Several icons in the “/usr/share/applications/antix” folder are incomplete or in English only.

How can I collaborate to help complement the shortcut icons packaged by the antiX community?

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Título original: Ícones de Atalho “.desktop”

Eu observei que no ícone de atalho “claws-mail.desktop”, possui traduções para diversos idiomas, mas os textos traduzidos não são exibidos no sub menu nos respectivos idiomas.

Em testes que eu fiz com os poderes de administrador root, quando removi “Generic” de “GenericName”, mantendo apenas “Name”, salvei o arquivo e apliquei o comando no terminal $ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global, o menu passou a ser exibido imediatamente com a tradução correta para o idioma que estiver configurado no antiX. Nos testes que eu fiz, funcionou as traduções em idiomas Português do Brasil e Espanhol.

A minha dúvidas é:

Todos os programas empacotados pela comunidade antiX utilizam “GenericName” ou apenas “Name”?

Se os testes que eu fiz estiverem corretos, os programas do antiX que possuem ícones de atalho com “GenericName” ao invés de “Name [pt_BR]” não exibem a tradução devido a este detalhe importante.

Alguns ícones de atalho da pasta “/usr/share/applications” que analisei:

Os ícones de atalho que possuem “GenericName”: claws-mail.desktop, ceni.desktop, badwolf.desktop, google-chrome.desktop, gtkam.desktop, htop.desktop.

Os ícones de atalho que possuem “Name[pt_BR]” e não possuem “GenericName”: firefox.desktop, formatusb.desktop, gksu.desktop, add-key.desktop, antiXCC.desktop, desktop-defaults-follow.desktop.

Os ícones de atalho que possuem “Name[pt_BR]” e possuem “GenericName[pt_BR]”: gimp.desktop.

Observações: O “gksu.desktop” está faltando o idioma Name[pt], por isso não exibe para o PPC no idioma Português Europeu. O “gtkam.desktop” não possui Name[pt] e Name[pt_BR], Name[es] e de vários outros idiomas. Vários íocnes da pasta “/usr/share/applications/antix” estão incompletos ou apenas em idioma inglês.

Como eu posso colaborar para ajudar a complementar os ícones de atalho empacotados pela comunidade antiX?

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Marcelo, please wait for the new version of aCMSTS, since you will be able to sort out translation errors in antiX menu (.desktop files) using it also.

I also noticed the usage of Name, GenericName, Comment and respecively Name[ll_CC], GenericName[ll_CC], Comment[ll_CC] (or …[ll] only) being quite a mess throughout the different programs. But this is up to the individual program creators, which antiX developers don’t have any influence on in most cases. What we can do as community is to create a set of corrections antiX can apply as a package. But let’s do first things first, getting the testsuite at work finally, which hopefully makes these things easier to handle and to understand.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 17 hours ago by Robin.
    skidooskidoo

Hey, good job investigating and reporting the details.

Some shortcut icons in the “/usr/share/applications” folder that I analyzed

Do all programs packaged by the antiX community use “GenericName” or just “Name”?

All? I cannot answer that, but wanted to point out that the .desktop files for most (if not all) “programs packaged by the antiX” reside in a segregated subdirectory
    /usr/share/applications/antix/

/usr/share/applications/
    (different wording for what Robin already mentioned)
    antiX probably has zero control over the content of .desktop files installed to this exact directory. You would must lookup “who is the package maintainer for” each affected program and contact its maintainer.

> What we can do as community is to create a set of corrections antiX can apply

The “corrections” applied to .desktop files installed to /usr/share/applications/
    in the near-term, it is reasonable to expect those corrections to apply only to pre-installed items.

The menu maker utility probably could become more robust, in order to handle oddball cases each time a user installs a new program.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

skidoo,

The idea is to help correct whatever is possible about the shortcut icons that are in “/usr/share/applications/antix/”, not only locally, but something that we can send or make available to developers to use in antiX ISOs .

In another topic, people complained about the repeated entries of the same programs in different sub menus, I understood why this happens, it is related to the line “Categories =”, the more options there are and the more categories are informed and separated by semicolons “;”, more submenus receive this shortcut icon.

For example:
    Categories=X-antiX;System;Utility;Network;Settings;

The same shortcut icon will be displayed in several different categories.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

skidoo,

A ideia é ajudar a corrigir o que for possível quanto aos ícones de atalho que estão em “/usr/share/applications/antix/”, não somente localmente, mas algo que possamos enviar ou disponibilizar para os desenvolvedores poderem utilizar nas ISOs do antiX.

Em um outro tópico o pessoal reclamava das entradas repetidas dos mesmos programas em sub menus diferentes, eu entendi porque isso acontece, está relacionado a linha “Categories=”, quanto mais opções existem e quanto mais categorias são informadas e separadas por ponto e vírgula “;”, mais sub menus recebem este ícone de atalho.

Por exemplo:
    Categories=X-antiX;System;Utility;Network;Settings;

O mesmo ícone de atalho será exibido em diversas categorias diferentes.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.