Determining whether DVI port has VGA/analog

Forum Forums General Hardware Determining whether DVI port has VGA/analog

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Dec 13-10:26 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    anti-ewaste

Hi everyone, hope you’re doing alright.

I’m trying to figure out if my card can output VGA with an adapter on the DVI port, which it has in addition to HDMI and DisplayPort. Here’s the output from inxi:

Graphics: Device-1: AMD Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 6750] vendor: XFX Pine driver: radeon v: kernel
    bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:68bf
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
    resolution: 1920×1080~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: AMD JUNIPER (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.0-13-amd64 LLVM 7.0.1)
    v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Also I was able to visually identify as the XFX Radeon HD 6750 DirectX 11 HD-675X-ZDFR 1GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1. Here’s a pic.

pic

I guess if nothing else just get an adapter to try? But it’d be nice to confirm first. I’m assuming I would be able to run a second monitor if it supports VGA out.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by anti-ewaste.
    anti-ewaste
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

I think I figured out it.. The existence of the four pins on the right indicates it has analog out right?

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve always just plugged in the adapter and the display. It has never caused a problem. I have a bunch of different setups where it has worked.

anti-ewaste
    Helpful
    Up

Yeah I’m guessing DVI-D is kind of rare.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Take a look at this site. It has a good explanation with pics. You would need the analog part of the signal for VGA I think.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Seems to me the Owner’s Manual for the GPU would be the place to find out it’s specs. Or maybe a google search on the model.

I’ve never had a DVI port that did not work with a VGA adapter. But I wonder what would happen if you plugged it to a VGA port? Can it do any harm? I don’t know.

I would research it on google or your favorite search engine.

Seaken64

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.